as we walk towards the 20th anniversary

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

This period of time has more than a bit of deja vu to it.

Shortly after the 9-11 attacks, Balbir Singh Sodhi became the first person killed in the backlash. (And his last name is still considered a typo by the computer.) A friend of the family created an award-winning film about her experience. It's being released and is free to watch. Here's the link: https://valariekaur.com/911hub/#watch

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Thanks for linking this poignant reminder of the price of bigotry and hate. Those who died in the towers are not the only victims of 911.

Twenty years ago I was afraid that 911 would push our country further down the path of Xenophobia, religious intolerance, and overall fearfulness. I hate it when I'm right. I wonder if Trump would have been elected in a US where 911 never happened. Maybe, because the economic woes of the working class would still be an issue, and anti immigrant sentiment and religious bigotry have surfaced repeatedly throughout our history (and the GOP was certainly on the "government is the problem" and "culture wars" trajectory long before 911).

But this tragedy certainly seemed to bring out the worse in some people and give them an extra rationale for the Xenophobia and bigotry, and America is not (in my opinion) the land of the brave but actually has a very fearful "dominant" culture overall.

I remember hearing about attacks on Muslims in the US, not to mention all those crazy stories about how some people cheered when the towers came down (this was never confirmed in any way, yet it is still a far-Right talking point). Locally, one guy drove his truck into a Sikh temple, causing considerable damage. In his ignorance, he didn't even target the "right" religion with his hate*.

In the months following, countless Muslims, Sikhs, and others have been victims of hate crimes, and this persists even today.

I hope that those who profess love will triumph in the end. It is amazing and uplifting that Balbir Singh Sodhi's brother is attempting to reconcile with the murderer.

*Not that it would have been better if he had.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree that America is a hugely insecure country, and I don't mean that we need more walls.

He Who Shall Not Be Named might have risen to power anyway, just because Americans have this thing about celebrities. I can remember voting for whoever it was that opposed Reagan when he ran for Governor of California.

But yeah, 9-11 brought out the worst in many people, but it's also brought out the best in others. Even as I got evil stares for walking down the street in a turban following the attacks, I would also have people come up and ask if I was being treated okay. There is an interfaith service here in Eugene that's held every month on the 11th...and has, despite Covid, ever since October 11, thanks to the inspiration of a Sikh woman and a Christian minister who offered his church as the venue. (During Covid, it's been on Zoom.) We tend to see the problems (and yeah, the problems are horrific), but I feel we need to acknowledge the good as well.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when Balbir Singh Sodhi was killed. It was bigger news here in AZ than other places. A totally innocent man, just making a living with his gas station.

MM

Reactions: Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Locally, one guy drove his truck into a Sikh temple, causing considerable damage. In his ignorance, he didn't even target the "right" religion with his hate*.

I got off the computer and remembered I was going to ask where this happened. I can tell you about lots of hate crimes, but I'm not remembering any truck being driven into a Gurdwara.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree that America is a hugely insecure country, and I don't mean that we need more walls.

He Who Shall Not Be Named might have risen to power anyway, just because Americans have this thing about celebrities. I can remember voting for whoever it was that opposed Reagan when he ran for Governor of California.
True. We can never know what would have happened. I suspect a Presidential run by you know who, or someone a lot like him, would have gained traction here eventually. But given the shoestring margins that carried him to victory in many of those swing states, and the razor thin margins deciding elections in general, it could have gone the other way. Impossible to say how many people allowed their fear and anger to move them over to the dark side in the months and years following 911.

I've been listening to some of the anniversary stories on NPR this week. So much heartache. I wish there were a surefire way to foster empathy.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

I got off the computer and remembered I was going to ask where this happened. I can tell you about lots of hate crimes, but I'm not remembering any truck being driven into a Gurdwara.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Oh, and here is a report of the incident, which happened in West Sacramento (across the River from Davis, CA). As it turned in, I remembered the details wrong. The man drove up in a pickup truck and threatened to bulldoze the flag and the building, but instead he hopped the fence and defiled their pool, which held holy water from both India and Pakistan. For some reason I misremembered the story as his actually driving his truck through the fence and into the pool.

Still a dreadful and hateful thing.

One thing that is impressive is that members of the local Sikh community spoke on this man's behalf when he faced charges for his actions.

The charges against that suspect were eventually dropped. Instead of punishing him, the temple wanted to educate him about their culture and faith.

The man who did this has since expressed deep regret for what he did.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing that is impressive is that members of the local Sikh community spoke on this man's behalf when he faced charges for his actions.
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yes, that's exactly what we tend to do. Ask that they do community service in ways that will teach them who and what we actually are.

Thanks for the link. Now I know why I hadn't heard that one; we got all kinds of email with links to atrocities after the attacks. That was mild in comparison. Here in Eugene, one of the then members of the sangat (he has since passed) was beaten so badly you could still see what they did to his face years later.

I'm going to "Like" your post, because I can't find a thank you emoji.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

AlanHeise

Lothar
Registered
Reaction score
( Yeah, I agree that America is a hugely insecure country, and I don't mean that we need more walls. )

Yes, I agree that America has been looking at the past for when we were great. I do not get it. Were we great when we did not allow women to vote? We we great when we killed most of the Indians and almost destroyed their society? When have our society really treated all colors of people with respect? The future of our society is always being changed for the good in the most part, by everyday good people wanting a society that is right and better than the past. The future of our country and the world is about changes for the better, but we need to be the ones who want it enough to write about and remind others that change is needed. The average American is feeling threatened by the very government of ours that is not willing to do what is right, and only does what pays the most. But it is the people who still are the ones who are wanting and pushing for change for the better. But I guess I am only an optimist after all.

Reactions: Siri Kirpal