Art and the World

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Shadow_Ferret said:
I play guitar but that doesn't make me a musician.
This kind of demands that one ask, "What would?"

This is an especially interesting concept to me because for many years, I've said the same thing. I've been a "guitar player" for over 25 years, but I would still never claim to be a musician. And I recently figured out why.

Because I'm only ever aware of what I don't know. I find myself thinking that a "real musician" would know the natural resolution for an augmented D9 chord, or would be able to tell you what 6 notes would be proper to play after a particular blues run.

Basically, it's poor self-image. I couldn't possibly be an artist because Art is so far above me. Art couldn't be everywhere, otherwise it wouldn't be so far above me. It's something that I could never attain, so I'll just continue to be a guitar player and a hack writer and an amateur poet.

I'm working on it though.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
It's not self-image in my case, it's that I just noodle on the guitar. If I was a musician I'd have that drive, that underlying spark, and I'd be driven to learn the guitar, to express myself with it. I'd practice religiously everyday. I'd feel the burn.

laurel29

has a lopsided smile.
Registered
Reaction score
In this case I'm agreeing with the ferret. (I love ferrets by the way :) ) There is a big difference between me messing around with a piano and my husband playing his guitar. There is something about it that I will most likely not ever get. I think it has to do with the passion maybe? He can't just listen to a song, he picks it apart like I see people here pick apart a piece of writing. It is funny all the stuff he can tell by listening to something, I can't even remember all the names...The one thing I remember is he loves to tell me is that so and so is playing a Gretsch or a Martin (the man loves his Gretsch for electric and his Martin for acoustic) all the technical crap flies over my head. He has an illness that they actually refer to as G.A.S. - (guitar acquisition syndrome - makes me laugh) but I guess I wouldn't really call him a musician, even with all that, if he couldn't play. I used him as an example because (not just by my assessment) he is an exterminator who really could play at a professional level.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
This reminds me of a thread where someone asked "how do you know you're a writer?" My response there was, "If you have to ask, you aren't one."

I would paraphrase myself with respect to the current topic. If you have to ask whether something is art, it's not - to you.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
pconsidine said:
This reminds me of a thread where someone asked "how do you know you're a writer?" My response there was, "If you have to ask, you aren't one."

I would paraphrase myself with respect to the current topic. If you have to ask whether something is art, it's not - to you.

If you had posted that first thing in this thread, we wouldn't have had to go through all this! :tongue

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
pconsidine said:
pconsidine said:

because you write words for fun, love or sanity

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
A - all
R - responses
T - told

Art seems to be a personal taking in of information on several different levels, rearranging that information and then reexpressing that information from that one, unique perspective such that others take in that expression, reinterpret that information and once again express that information from yet another unique perspective.....a celebration of continuity through individuality

I liken the idea to a stone tumbling through a river of time, endlessly being ground to it's essence