Any Tool Suggestions for Creating Images

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Sangeeta K

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing my first non fiction book and looking for suggestions about tools you use to create graphic/images?
I am familiar with Canva as an option.
Or you hire a professional graphic designer?

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moving this to tech help. It's not really a Basic Writing Question.

If you are planning to submit to trade publishers, they will probably have guidelines about graphics, and possibly, will produce them for you, depending on the publisher and the graphic.

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
I think we need a more precise definition of "graphic/images." Photos, charts, drawings, and maps all are best created on very different software packages. Tell us what you're working on. You can bet that somebody in this group will have had experience with formatting it.

Sangeeta K

Registered
Reaction score
I think we need a more precise definition of "graphic/images." Photos, charts, drawings, and maps all are best created on very different software packages. Tell us what you're working on. You can bet that somebody in this group will have had experience with formatting it.
I am looking at drawings to explain a concept easily and charts mainly. Looking for software suggestions to create drawings easily.
No maps for the book I am writing. Do not think will have photos.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
I actually use MS Paint (included with Windows) to make rudimentary technical illustrations, like process flow diagrams. Excel of course is the #1 choice for graphs.

If you need something beyond basic line art, then you're probably in to Adobe Illustrator or the like, which have steep learning curves.

Reactions: Sangeeta K

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
For drawings, I agree that Paint will do well. Just make sure you save them without compression. I recommend TIFF files. They're common enough, can be lossless, and during my modest career, have always been recognized by publishers. I've never submitted charts.

Reactions: Sangeeta K

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I use Gimp . It has the advantage of being free . Not dead easy to use , but there are some online tutorials and demos on YouTube

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving