• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Any Scams Aimed at Editors?

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
You guys beat me to it. I'm tired of the people who provide the content and make it ready to sell being put at the bottom of the payment pile.

Exactly -- we provide a service. If we were plumbers and the toilet was flooding, they'd be quick to pay up.

It bothers me whenever some publisher thinks production isn't important.

Most folks who run a volunteer press tend to be very appreciative of their helpers. They know we're choosing to give them time and expertise.

The ones who want editors to be pay in maybe-money, in pennies? Or worse, in fractions of pennies! Bah.

Sorry to rant a bit... yeah, it still bothers me. I haven't had any of the "pay by royalty" people in my email for years now. Between queries and AW, I know to avoid them.

Filigree and JulieB et al... =draws heart around your posts=

Okay, I feel better now. Shared suffering, shared knowledge -- not being alone. (WonderTwin Editor powers activate!)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I updated Filigree's Rule on my blog: I think #19 is now about these types of publishers.

I wonder, is it morally wrong when a scam editor targets a penny-pinching small press? Because I haven't seen that, yet.

The two vanity publishers I know, pay freelance editors a solid fee per job. They have money, after all.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
I updated Filigree's Rule on my blog: I think #19 is now about these types of publishers.

I wonder, is it morally wrong when a scam editor targets a penny-pinching small press? Because I haven't seen that, yet.

The two vanity publishers I know, pay freelance editors a solid fee per job. They have money, after all.

Do you have a direct link to that post, Filigree? I tried your blog last night and couldn't find the post you mention. I'd like to read it, please.

Thanks. :)