Any publisher similar to Harlequin?

Pacific

Registered
Reaction score
My manuscript is about 54,000 words
Sent to Harlequin New York imprint "Love Inspired", the first publisher for the manuscript, they didn't take it.
So I'm back on the market, not engaged any more...

Pacific

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Paul Lamb,
I am going to do research on Kensington.

Maryn

Baaaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pacific, I'm going to be a little bit blunt, but not with unkind intentions.

I understand you identified one potential publisher for your work, and that they rejected it. (Ouch! We've all felt that sting.) The next step is not to ask a writing community what other publisher might be right. It's to do your own due diligence.

That means going to bookstores, ideally three or more that aren't part of the same chain, that sell novels like yours. Figure out where yours would be shelved it if were already published. Now look at the books shelved around it, in the same category. Who are the publishers? That's your A list.

Jot down titles, authors, and publishers, or take discrete pictures, no flash. At home, research each publisher, not just at Absolute Write but online. Do they accept manuscripts from unagented authors? Do they seek manuscripts that match yours in overall tone, genre, and subgenre? Do they pay advances? Are their authors complaining about late royalties or missed publication dates? Which of their authors writes the novels you've read and loved? (Because of course you should be reading the competition! It's both a pleasure and quite educational.)

Take the time to research the authors, too. Who are their agents, if they have them? Are they on social media? What are they reading? What are they interested in writing? Do they also self-publish? Do they discuss their journey from beginner to published author? Is there any aspect of that you can use to improve your writing and/or your odds?

If you want a serious publisher to recognize you as an equally serious author, you have do to the homework.

Maryn, hoping to help you succeed

Pacific

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Maryn for the kind words. I'll try do all the homework:)

Reactions: Maryn

Maryn

Baaaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There you go! It's not fun, but it's required to "pass the course."

Reactions: Pacific