Any Australians out there?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm in the throes of organising a flight to Bucharest. I'm just trying to work out if it would be easier and/or cheaper to fly via Heathrow.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
It's about four hours to Bucharest from here - the sadly-now-ex-Lady-Bacchus is Romanian so I have done the journey a couple of times (actually due to an adventurous father, the first time in 1976 when Romania was firmly Communist)

However cheap it is, don't be tempted to go via Luton unless you want first hand experience of Edvard Munch's state of mind when he painted the scream...

Business or pleasure? Romania is a beautiful country with lovely people; very "up and coming" with mountains, plains, and sandy beaches all within a couple of hours. Also good food. It will be quite the place in a few years as they purge the corruption of their communist hangover.

Terrible wine though.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Holiday. I'll be in Bucharest for a day or so. After that, I'll head out to the Carpathians and then to the Danube Delta. Still considering whether to do a side trip to see a friend in Leiden. Seems to a shame to go all the way there and not nip over to the Netherlands. But if I do that, it's only a short way to the UK...And I also have friends in Stockholm.

It's too late in the evening to be sorting out flights. I will do something silly!

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
*tries to work out the logistics of getting to Bucharest from Helix-land*

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Holiday. I'll be in Bucharest for a day or so. After that, I'll head out to the Carpathians and then to the Danube Delta. Still considering whether to do a side trip to see a friend in Leiden. Seems to a shame to go all the way there and not nip over to the Netherlands. But if I do that, it's only a short way to the UK...And I also have friends in Stockholm.

It's too late in the evening to be sorting out flights. I will do something silly!

I haven't been that far North, but last time I was there we drove up to Sibiu and Brasov following a trip to Mamia for the beach and Tulcea for the Delta - stunning watching the pelicans on the Delta and the well-dressed penguins getting off the huge cruise-ships which come up from Amsterdam through Germany, Austria, Hungary, and Serbia! Getting quite envious here in UK, but I am outside today fitting out my van as a camper with a view to doing a "Grand Tour" through France, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania and then back through Hungary, Germany and the Netherlands so I will contain it!

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Oh, yeah. It's a couple of hours on the road from here to Cairns Airport, and it's absolutely hideous if there's rain. (As there is now. *waves to the former TC Nora*)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I haven't been that far North, but last time I was there we drove up to Sibiu and Brasov following a trip to Mamia for the beach and Tulcea for the Delta - stunning watching the pelicans on the Delta and the well-dressed penguins getting off the huge cruise-ships which come up from Amsterdam through Germany, Austria, Hungary, and Serbia! Getting quite envious here in UK, but I am outside today fitting out my van as a camper with a view to doing a "Grand Tour" through France, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Romania and then back through Hungary, Germany and the Netherlands so I will contain it!
That sounds like great fun!

That's what my cousin Russell said. Mind you that was in 1982, and he was piloting a Phantom...

I think I went at the better time!

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like great fun!

It was a great trip - really enjoyable. And being with a native speaker was interesting - we could get chatting to people in bars in ways which just wouldn't have worked with my "pigeon" Romanian!

Amazing how many young people firmly believe that their country needs a strong ruler like Vlad Țepeș!

The guy at the car hire place summed it up nicely, he said that his country "couldn't get back to normal until a generation has died out", but it's a great country, very affordable - outside the big cities a four star hotel was less than £50 a night (about 90 AUD), a good meal £15 for two with drinks. I love the place. If only the language wasn't so difficult...

ikennedy

Registered
Reaction score
That 17 hour flight from Perth to London would be amazing. I've only been to London once in 2013 and it was fantastic. I certainly want to go again. It also helps I have a British passport along with my Australian one. :)

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score
G'day!

actually, realising that "down under" is only a 17 hour flight and ten minute taxi ride away is quite awe-inspiring and makes me wonder why I have never been! No.1 son first went when he was three and has been a couple of times since. I've got "family-by-marriage-although-now-divorced-so-does-that-still-count...-yes-they're-Italian" way down in Melbourne!

Not from OZ either, but my alpha reader and best friend (I know, not the best idea- best friend=alpha reader, but she is bloody brilliant) is an American transplant in Brisbane.

Once upon a time her now-husband came to the US for work with the Australian Embassy and the rest is a love story built for Hallmark. Oh crap, Aussies, do you have Hallmark? Hallmark was first a greeting card company, now has a television channel with sickly sweet movies reminiscent of greeting cards....

I visited in December of 2001. My Australian experience reminded me of the pictures in the old children's Highlight Magazines wherein two pictures side-by-side at first glance look identical, but at closer examination have tiny details that are different. Oh crap again, do you have Highlight Magazines? :shrug: well, I know you have google ;)

:welcome:

I'm always a little scared to enter these threads.

Backing out quietly...

Following your lead... upside down and over my head.... Was only compelled to chime in because someone on the new member page was just talking about vile creatures found in the bush and I had just added your poisonous frogs.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting aside (for me if not the rest of you...) I had a girlfriend once who was a proof-reader for Hallmark. Her dream job - except she hated having to read the sickly-sweet verses and read them thoroughly!

She once read an advert for Rémy Martin on the back of a beer mat which had a possessive apostrophe in "its" and wrote a very amusing letter about how "its it's" had spoiled her holiday; they sent her a hundred-pound bottle of cognac for her trouble. They noted that if she'd been "serious" they would simply have apologised without the booze, so there's a lesson in the art of complaining (c:

thejadevoice

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm just dipping my toe into the AW world. I've just joined. I live in a little beach town on the far south coast of NSW. All my writer friends are American, though. I should really find some local ones...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm just dipping my toe into the AW world. I've just joined. I live in a little beach town on the far south coast of NSW. All my writer friends are American, though. I should really find some local ones...
Welcome!. We're almost neighbours - I'm in the Southern Highlands :)

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Ack!

Last time I moved my fridge, I found a stray Malteser under it. Tragic day, that. Such a waste of a perfectly good bit of sugar*.

*Sadly, the Malteser was about a decade past the "20 second rule".

thejadevoice

Registered
Reaction score
Ack!

Last time I moved my fridge, I found a stray Malteser under it. Tragic day, that. Such a waste of a perfectly good bit of sugar*

*Sadly, the Malteser was about a decade past the "20 second rule".

That is a tragedy. Poor, uneaten malteser!

(I'm off to the movies tonight and now I'm definitely buying a bag of maltesers!)

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
I had to take out a second mortgage the last time I had to buy a packet of Maltesers at the movies. Easier to buy them at the grocery store and sneak them in :Ssh:

Also, :welcome: