Another Newbie Intro

angsty.writer

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! My name is Madelyne and I have been looking for a writing community like this one for a long time. I am a student on academic leave (for the moment) and an aspiring writer. I love stories. The written word has given me light in the face of the darkest of shadows that loomed overhead throughout different periods of my short life. Like most writers, I read. I love fiction. Fantasy, science-fiction, mystery, romance, poetry, short stories-- I get excited about all the things! Consequently, those are all of the things I love writing about as well. For as long as I can remember, I have been writing my own stories either in my head or literally. My dream is to share the worlds I escape to inside my head with others-- to connect with readers as I have connected with those I've read. Presently, I am outlining a novel that could be classed in the science-fiction and suspense categories. It is in the very beginning stages of development but I am determined to see it through. Besides this current project, I tend to write metaphorical, allegoric, short story-like poetry (I am not sure how to classify it).

I have so much to learn when it comes to the components that make a good writer. This is my first active step towards that goal-- involving myself in a diverse community of writers. But outside of my own goals, I am incredibly excited to involve myself in other people's writing journies as well. Really, I just look forward to connecting with all the people aaaaaand that's it. Sooooo yeah :)

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome

I am a student on academic leave (for the moment) and an aspiring writer.

If you write, you could just call yourself a writer. When I hear "aspiring" I associate more with people not doing that thing. :p

Presently, I am outlining a novel that could be classed in the science-fiction and suspense categories. It is in the very beginning stages of development but I am determined to see it through.

Best of luck!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo, someone who ticks all of my preferred genre boxes. Welcome!

A moderator will be along soon to proffer an official welcome and a virtual plate of comfits ;)

Reactions: angsty.writer

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PS don't eat all of the black jelly beans. Sharing black licorice is a bit of a thang here ;)

• Haha

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya!
I have been looking for a writing community like this one for a long time.
Welcome aboard! We're not super well-known outside the realm of writing, so it kinda feels like you've stumbled upon an exclusive club when you first arrive. Don't worry, you'll get over that feeling pretty quickly as you start to interact with everyone - I know that I for one was pleasantly surprised with how genuinely nice everyone was when I first got here. Unlike many of the other forums I've frequented over the years (for topics ranging from video games to highly-specialized academic research), this one is moderated by people who do it because they love it and take no crap from bad actors. It's wonderful here. :)
I love fiction. Fantasy, science-fiction, mystery, romance, poetry, short stories-- I get excited about all the things! Consequently, those are all of the things I love writing about as well. For as long as I can remember, I have been writing my own stories either in my head or literally. My dream is to share the worlds I escape to inside my head with others-- to connect with readers as I have connected with those I've read.
"Wizards love words. Most of them read a great deal, and indeed one strong sign of a potential wizard is the inability to get to sleep without reading something first." - So You Want To Be A Wizard (Diane Duane)

I first read that book nearly fifteen years ago, and yet I can still pull that quote from memory because of how strongly it resonated with me when I read it. Remember to write the stories you want to read, and you'll have no trouble connecting with others!
Presently, I am outlining a novel that could be classed in the science-fiction and suspense categories. It is in the very beginning stages of development but I am determined to see it through. Besides this current project, I tend to write metaphorical, allegoric, short story-like poetry (I am not sure how to classify it).
I'm currently working on a second first draft of a slow-burn romance novel, which is a far cry from my normal sf/f work, and it's turning into something I'm really excited about. I'd love to beta for you when you reach that stage! :)
I have so much to learn when it comes to the components that make a good writer. This is my first active step towards that goal-- involving myself in a diverse community of writers. But outside of my own goals, I am incredibly excited to involve myself in other people's writing journies as well. Really, I just look forward to connecting with all the people aaaaaand that's it. Sooooo yeah :)
The first step toward advancement is seeking it out.
"Pupil, the next summit awaits. Are you ready to make the climb?" - Teshin Dax

Welcome to AW! I expect a staff member will be along shortly to drop some FAQ links and other stuff. In the meantime, the cantina is open - pop in for a metaphorical drink and a no-less-abstract discussion!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Madelyne! It's great to meet you :)

Yep, you've found your people! AW is home to an awesome community of peeps ranging from newbies to established pros in the biz, and contains a humungous amount of information regarding all aspects of the writing craft.

The forums are vast, which means it can be easy to get lost/overwhelmed at first but if you take your time exploring you'll acclimate soon enough. Please carefully read the Newbies Guide you were linked to when you registered, as well as the stickied/pinned threads at the top of each forum page. Those resources will help you understand the overall rules of the forum, as well as the etiquette and culture of the various spaces within.

Here are some rooms you might find to be good places to start your forum explorations from: Our Basic Writing Questions room, our Novels subforum, the AW Roundtable (full of excellent discussions which will help you hone your craft) and our Science Fiction | Fantasy genre discussion board.

Explore, lurk, join in conversations you find fun or interesting, make friends, enjoy yourself :D

See you around the boards!
Izz

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
Hiya!

Welcome aboard! We're not super well-known outside the realm of writing, so it kinda feels like you've stumbled upon an exclusive club when you first arrive. Don't worry, you'll get over that feeling pretty quickly as you start to interact with everyone - I know that I for one was pleasantly surprised with how genuinely nice everyone was when I first got here. Unlike many of the other forums I've frequented over the years (for topics ranging from video games to highly-specialized academic research), this one is moderated by people who do it because they love it and take no crap from bad actors. It's wonderful here. :)

"Wizards love words. Most of them read a great deal, and indeed one strong sign of a potential wizard is the inability to get to sleep without reading something first." - So You Want To Be A Wizard (Diane Duane)

I first read that book nearly fifteen years ago, and yet I can still pull that quote from memory because of how strongly it resonated with me when I read it. Remember to write the stories you want to read, and you'll have no trouble connecting with others!

I'm currently working on a second first draft of a slow-burn romance novel, which is a far cry from my normal sf/f work, and it's turning into something I'm really excited about. I'd love to beta for you when you reach that stage! :)

The first step toward advancement is seeking it out.
"Pupil, the next summit awaits. Are you ready to make the climb?" - Teshin Dax

Welcome to AW! I expect a staff member will be along shortly to drop some FAQ links and other stuff. In the meantime, the cantina is open - pop in for a metaphorical drink and a no-less-abstract discussion!
Welcome, Madelyne! This truly is a great writing community.

Wishing you much success with your novel,
Fay

angsty.writer

Registered
Reaction score
If you write, you could just call yourself a writer. When I hear "aspiring" I associate more with people not doing that thing. :p
You're right! I am a writer. Thank you for calling me out on that, I need it sometimes haha ;D

angsty.writer

Registered
Reaction score

HOLY GUACAMOLE I love that quote. Well, I have a new book to read it seems. Thank you so much for the encouragement! You and I are going to get on splendidly ;)
That's so exciting! I would love to beta read for you as well if you ever need another pair of eyes. Slow-burn romance novels are my jam, they always draw me in so quickly. And thank you for the beta offer as well! I'll probably take you up on it, eventually.
Appreciate the tip! I feel like I've found my people 😆

Reactions: Yzjdriel

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might have to explain that one to me 😂

Thank you for the welcome!
For some reason, mccardy and several others spend whole threads rhapsodizing about the glories of black jellybeans. I once offered virtual jellybeans but noted I'd eaten the black ones already. Boy, did I ever get the hairy eyeball! :D

Nether

is walking the plank at a pirate-themed water park
Registered
Reaction score
You might have to explain that one to me 😂

I, too, don't understand the appeal of black licorice.

For some reason, mccardy and several others spend whole threads rhapsodizing about the glories of black jellybeans. I once offered virtual jellybeans but noted I'd eaten the black ones already. Boy, did I ever get the hairy eyeball! :D

tbh, if we do ever meet for a AW jelly bean party, you guys are welcome to all of mine. I usually just toss them, or avoid brands that include them as an option.

• Wow

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.