• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Andborough Publishing

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Ashleen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AshleenOGaea.com
Andborough Publishing? There's not a lot of info on their website (which apparently is under reconstruction) and most of the Google hits are one or two of their authors. Has anyone heard anything or had any experience with them? Are they vanity? Subsidy? Small conventional? ???
Thanks!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Link is here in case anyone wants to see it.

Personally, I don't think it looks particularly impressive. Particular warning flags are that they ask authors to outline their marketing and publicity plans with their submission:

Andborough Submissions Page:
Outline any marketing or publicizing of the book that you plan to do.

They also list one of their books as being by Amazon bestselling authors. That initself is a meaningless concept - anyone can be an Amazon bestselling author if sufficient authors are placed at the right time. More meaningful is whether they have any NYT, USA Today or Times bestselling authors.

The price of their books also seems a little expensive to me - $17.95 is quoted for one paperback of 344 pages.

Of the 8 titles listed as being "currently available", they've only got up details for 2 of them.

There's nothing to indicate whether they're paying advances for their books or requiring authors to make a payment.

There's nothing to indicate who the people are behind the company and what their experience is.

Basically, you need to wander down to your local bookstore and see if you can find this company's books on the shelves. If not, then save yourself the energy and go elsewhere.

MM

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No activity since June '10, when they pulled a book for plagiarism.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
I believe they came back under the imprint Green Magic - http://www.greenmagicpublishing.com

Another book by the accused author crossed my desk, and while it wasn't great stuff, it didn't set up any alarm bells but I looked her up anyway. Now it all seems fishy - not sure if it's perception, or subconsciously recognizing a problem, or confirmation bias at work.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I believe they came back under the imprint Green Magic - http://www.greenmagicpublishing.com

Another book by the accused author crossed my desk, and while it wasn't great stuff, it didn't set up any alarm bells but I looked her up anyway. Now it all seems fishy - not sure if it's perception, or subconsciously recognizing a problem, or confirmation bias at work.
Andborough is as US company (owned by authors Robert & Pamela Yarborough), and Green Magic is UK (been around since '97). What tie do you find between them?

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
Andborough is as US company (owned by authors Robert & Pamela Yarborough), and Green Magic is UK (been around since '97). What tie do you find between them?

I was just looking this up to repost. I was confused while researching on the fly - they are different companies, but they happened to pick up this same author.

Context (how I fished this one out): I'm writing a BIG stack of book reviews for a spirituality book review site, and I was reviewing the book of a certain author yesterday. The book read strangely to me, so I looked up the author's name. It led me to Andborough, but the book in front of me actually had a 2009 copyright and was with Green Magic. Same author, different publisher, and I freaked out and did not slow down enough to read thoroughly. So the tie is this author.

The book in my review stack has a plagiarism accusation leveled towards it on Amazon, but it appears no other action has been taken where it is regarded. There is, however, the book by Andborough and a self-published book from this author on Lulu as well. It appears that the author is more of a problem than is any publisher.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving