Americans working in England, any experience?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sparkles?

SPARKLES! Ace!

Last edited:

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've even been practicing my Brit-ism with the special software

RosettastoneUKUS-1.jpg

JHUK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingalchemy.wordpress.com
Boo hiss! :cry:

The UK suspended all Tier 1 applications indefinitely on 23 December. Ironically, this is the same day the headhunter emailed me to set up the initial phone interview. They are still taking Tier 2 (sponsored) applications, but it is unclear if the company will be willing to sponsor me. To do so, they must demonstrate that no suitable candidates exist within the UK. I'm in a relatively small field, so there is some hope. Nothing to do but keep on trucking and see what happens....

Well, I know you're disappointed Chris, but really the UK is better observed as a visitor. I speak as an American who has lived here for 10 years (well, WILL be 10 years Feb 2). It's so expensive here right now: How about a 20% sales tax and $7.65 per gallon for gas and average house price $383,723. That's what we have. Oh, and I did I forget, a 40% income tax. Meanwhile the government is shutting hospitals (we have no maternity service within a 30 minute drive on a good traffic day), closing libraries, and cutting school budgets. A one-year rail pass for people who commute to London from here (about an hour east of London) is about $6218. I'd give anything (except my marriage) to move back to the U.S.!

Aside from the cost, there's the weather. Cold. Damp. Dark. Until about April. Sure, you think it's no big deal until you have to live with it day in and day out.

Hate to sound completely negative. There are SOME good things. London is a truly quirky place, though I wouldn't live there. I live about a 15 minute walk from the sea and, in the opposite direction, about a 15 minute drive (not counting time looking for parking of course) from Canterbury Cathedral, built about 1070 AD...and that still takes my breath away!

Last edited:

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your honest input, Jane. Your experiences are as valuable as those who enjoyed it. It's always good to hear varied perspectives. I hope you get back to Texas soon. I know what it's like to be stuck somewhere you hate.

JHUK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingalchemy.wordpress.com
Thanks for your honest input, Jane. Your experiences are as valuable as those who enjoyed it. It's always good to hear varied perspectives. I hope you get back to Texas soon. I know what it's like to be stuck somewhere you hate.

Chris, although I was born in the US, I've lived in Iran, Lebanon, Japan, and now England. I highly recommend living abroad at least once in a person's life.... and it IS life-changing. I probably sounded a lot more negative than I really feel about England. Every country has its good and bad points. Right now, the UK is going through a huge societal change and the new government is making life pretty miserable for the average Brit. I'm hopeful that things will soon stablize, however.

It is truly amazing to live among buildings that are over a thousand years old (note that Canterbury Cathedral was built in 1070, not 1700 as I mis-typed), see places that we only read about in history books, and actually feel part of it. I got interested in genealogy since I came here and found my ancestors lived only a few miles away before they emigrated in 1630 to the US! So I'm really not 'hating' it. I'm just fed up with the expense and the weather, but so are the Brits and they have no choice but to put up with it.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
As mentioned previously, I ADORE living in England. I speak as a Southern Californian who's lived for the last 10 (as of last August) in the Northwest of England. Where, I might add, the average house price is nowhere near $383K. (Much like comparing house prices in different parts of the US....the average house price in Southern California is considerably higher than, say, that in rural Arkansas.)

I don't mind paying higher taxes (and until I went part-time, I was in the 40% bracket) because we have loads more public services. Higher petrol prices suck, but that's due to the extra taxes (see previous sentence).

Chris, as I mentioned before, the chances of getting a work permit are small, but I hope you succeed!

Last edited: