• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Amber Quill Press, LLC

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
Thank you! I'm already obsessively checking my email even though I know it's entirely too early for a response.

Good luck! Amber Quill Press (the genre imprint) just published my crime novel titled JAMES 516, and I'm very pleased.

I know how it feels to check the email obsessively, lol. This was my experience with them:

I received word on August 30, 2014 that it was being advanced to a managing editor. On September 24, 2014, I received a contract offer. So, my wait was about 25 days. The e-book was published on December 7, 2014 and the print version was available on January 6, 2015...one day after my birthday.

Best of luck to you!

VonAngel

without wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thesisterconnection.wordpress.com
Just wondering if anyone has any recent news on these folks. Amber Quill didn't mention a timeline in my auto-response, but today marks month 3 that they've had my submission w/ no follow-up emails from them. Normally, I'd see no problem w/ a 3-month wait on a full response, but considering others on this thread have received updates or faster responses, I'm curious as to whether my MS was overlooked or they've simply flipped me the bird.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Just wondering if anyone has any recent news on these folks. Amber Quill didn't mention a timeline in my auto-response, but today marks month 3 that they've had my submission w/ no follow-up emails from them. Normally, I'd see no problem w/ a 3-month wait on a full response, but considering others on this thread have received updates or faster responses, I'm curious as to whether my MS was overlooked or they've simply flipped me the bird.

You might want to send them a query to make sure they received your submission. Sometimes the electronic gremlins eat a few emails now and then.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! Amber Quill Press (the genre imprint) just published my crime novel titled JAMES 516, and I'm very pleased.

I know how it feels to check the email obsessively, lol. This was my experience with them:

I received word on August 30, 2014 that it was being advanced to a managing editor. On September 24, 2014, I received a contract offer. So, my wait was about 25 days. The e-book was published on December 7, 2014 and the print version was available on January 6, 2015...one day after my birthday.

Best of luck to you!
Congrats BJ!

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
Now that I've just had my third novel released through Amber Quill Press, I want to add something about this publisher...they are attentive and very responsive to their authors. If I have a problem or a question I never have to wait longer than a day to receive a response. Almost every time I send them a message I receive an answer within the hour, sometimes within minutes. I swear it felt like Trace was just sitting by his computer last night waiting for my message when I was having an issue ordering author copies of my book. Not only did he respond within the hour, but the problem was already fixed when he responded. I couldn't have asked for better service after the contract. These folks are amazing!

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Amber Quill has announced that they are shutting down effective March 31, 2016. All rights will revert to authors by that date.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Wow! Any reasons why? I never heard the tiniest whiff of trouble.

From the e-mail that was sent to authors, it sounds like they were taking a beating in the changing marketplace, and decided to call it a day. Sales were down, and they were struggling to stay competitive. Doesn't sound like there was any major disaster or financial problems (aside from sales being down). They're basically bowing out.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Wow.

But no bankruptcy or anything? Authors should be able to get their rights back, as far as anyone's heard so far?

I'm sure it's still disappointing and scary, but a hell of a let better for a business to close down responsibly than to drag its authors down with it...

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I am sad to see them go because they were one of the pioneers, and they had some great imprints. But I'm glad to see them closing the right way -- with reversion so to authors. IIRC they were the first ePub to be invitation-only, although I don't know if they kept that policy after their founding. I know it was controversial with some authors. IIRC they also had one of the first m/m imprints.

I also wish I could figure out how to access my old bookshelf on their site. :) Unfortunately, my e-mail to customer service bounced because of an authentication error. So I'm trying with another address.mSigh. :( I'll get my books eventually, and I wouldn't go to this trouble for all ePubs. ;)

Last edited:

Featured Book