• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Allen Guthrie's Infamous Writing Tips

borbira

Registered
Reaction score
An excellent little rulebook! I'll keep these in mind while writing going forward. Although, I've always been a little fast and loose with rules. :p

monkeykat

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, as a new writer, this is super helpful! Thank you for posting this!

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this essay. It’s been too long since last I read it. I cringed at the memory of committing the sins Guthrie lists, even if I only sinned in drafts.

If I had room on the wall next to my computer, I’d hang a copy there!

sam.b

Registered
Reaction score
Guilty of many of these. Don't know about you all but I find it easy to explain them away in my own writing. What a skill it is to see your own work objectively!

Benny Molto

Banned
Reaction score
Fab that although I started by changing the first paragraph from this:

"I can’t stress strongly enough that writing is subjective. We all strive for different goals. Consequently, we all need our own set of rules—and some of us don’t need rules at all! Personally, I like rules. If nothing else, it’s fun breaking them."

into

"Writing is subjective. There are different ways to different goals. Use your own set of rules—or nine ar all. I like rules as it’s fun breaking them."

ToshaStein

Registered
Reaction score
Screenshot. Screenshot. Screenshot.

I once had a professor tell me I wrote beautifully, he held my hand in the air and gently pushed it. He told me to make it rigid and punched it, then he said, "now write like that."

This post, for some reason, reminds me of that moment. A lot of this I had to learn the hard way and the rest I am thankful to now know!

The Never-Ending Sea

Registered
Reaction score
Amazing post, thank you! Getting rid of filtering words and phrases always seems to trip me up. Here's to continually improving, no matter how slowly ;)

bernhard6804

Registered
Reaction score
very helpful. Took one look and realised i made one of the mistakes in the very... first...paragraph. so thanx a bunch!

Reactions: Jazz Club