• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Agora Publishing Consortium / Agora Media

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

rachelcaine

Registered
Reaction score
Right off the bat, this was a weird exchange; the initial email from these folks said this:
------------

Hello,

Greetings!

I am contacting you on behalf of Agora Publishing at Book Expo America. Are you seeking to get any book you have written displayed at Book Expo America this month in New York City?

Please let me know if you're interested so I can send you more details. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Cherryl Bobis
--------------------

It's a generic email, weirdly phrased, that doesn't even give me a link to the company (the logo included just said "Agora"). It's also not from a company, just a generic Gmail address.

She sent me a link when I requested one, which went here: http://www.agorapublishing.com/

All this seems very nebulous and superficial in terms of what they're actually doing. I rejected the request and told her to take me off their mailing list (which seems to be sourced from a list of Amazon authors, perhaps?).

Then today I get this from a completely different person (still a generic gmail address):
-------------

Are you seeking to get your titles displayed at America's largest literary event in New York City this month?

Peter Tremblay

AgoraPublishing.com
-------------------

I got a little angry this time in my reply to not contact me anymore.

Anybody got insight as to WTH these people are doing? They claim to be a non-profit, yet they also are going to "help" people self-publish. They also offer a marketing service for author "advertorials." I have no idea what's going on here, but it doesn't smell right to me and I don't have time to dig into it. Thoughts?

-- Rachel Caine

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Probably your run of the mills pub services/vanity bottom-feeder. I've never heard of them in Canadian publishing.

The Canadian government subsidizes small publishers. This is good for building a literary scene and means there are some great unheard-of houses publishing books (good and bad) that wouldn't otherwise get seen. Unfortunately, it also creates a cottage industry for companies, which can claim they're "non-profit" because they're running off grants but mostly exist to sell authors--and often academics as well--things they don't need.

Any publisher that's soliciting probably isn't worth your time. You were right to be skeptical. I'd honestly just delete the email, though. Responding is only going to lead them on.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
I don't think replying will get them to stop. I'd just mark these ones as spam so any further correspondence from them goes into your junk folder, because they may not give up sending emails for a while.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also think it's strange their website has a link to a set of legal advice books.
a very useful resource for self-represented litigants, law professors, students and lawyers alike.

I have no experienc with them, and they could be a valuable and useful service assisting self-pubbers succeed. Or they could be well-meaning but clueless folks. Or total scammers. Their website leads me to the second possibility, as it looks a lot like the dozens of small but ill-informed publisher websites I've seen over the years.

The proof will be in the pudding: how successful have they actually been?

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving