Agent Referral Question

Brigid Barry

I am Batman.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been waiting for months for this agent to reopen to queries so I can "use" my referral. But on a recent Twitter thread about what she's looking for it doesn't seem like I have it. 😞

Should I still submit, or no?

Sage

The Answer to Life, the Universe, & Everything
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Why did the person referring you to her think you were a good fit?

Brigid Barry

I am Batman.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's engaging with an interesting and humorous protagonist (the agent is big on that, with voice), and the agent likes hauntings on the lighter side of the horror spectrum, which is what this is.

She also said that she doesn't believe in ghosts but enjoyed the story anyway, which I made a huge assumption that it was relevant.

I was uncomfortable asking too many questions because it was such a big deal to me that she worked with me on my opening chapters and gave me the referral.

Sage

The Answer to Life, the Universe, & Everything
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If the referral is based on the book, then I would use the referral. Sometimes agents work outside their usual stuff if they love something enough and have a reason to check it out.

Also, agents often say what they expect they're looking for, but if something outside that falls on their desk and they love it, they're not going to say no to it just because it wasn't on their MSWL.