• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.
  • U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

[Agent] Mathew Ferguson

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I don't just want to go around saying, I agree with Emily, but I do. It was an unnecessarily flippant remark directed at another poster. There are far better ways to say, "To query this agent in light of all this information would be imprudent" than to mock one of our board members. This board exists to help keep writers from making foolish mistakes, but it's hard to do that if we do so by making fun of them.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
But it wasn't a warning to Misaditas. It was a back-and-forth joke with others *about* Misaditas.

I don't just want to go around saying, I agree with Emily, but I do. It was an unnecessarily flippant remark directed at another poster. There are far better ways to say, "To query this agent in light of all this information would be imprudent" than to mock one of our board members. This board exists to help keep writers from making foolish mistakes, but it's hard to do that if we do so by making fun of them.

Fair enough.

Misaditas, if you're still reading, I apologize for letting my own frustration get the better of me, and being snarky and flippant with you.

And honestly, I think this thread has outrun its usefulness, as well. Unless one of the Bewares mods sees a good reason to re-open the discussion (in which case, I'll bow to their judgment) the pertinent information needed for writers to make informed and intelligent decisions regarding the theoretical value or quality of Mr. Ferguson's representation.

Mr. Ferguson, you will note that I've deleted some of your posts in other areas of the forum, where you've given spectacularly bad and industry non-standard advice. I will continue to do so, and I will instruct the mods to do so, as well.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
VPX
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Hi HapiSofi, simply because I choose to focus on a single point (of many) where you are absolutely and utterly wrong does not mean I cede that you are correct on the other points. Silence doesn't equal consent.

1) It's still a red herring.
2) I'm not convinced that HapiSofi is even a little wrong, let alone "absolutely and utterly wrong." Please see my remarks, which are not based in any way on volume.

Please accept in a spirit of friendship the suggestion that you might be best served by leaving, and coming back in six months or a year with a list of your sales.

Please also consider the suggestion, made by some very knowledgeable people, that, rather than agenting, your talents and experience might better suit you for packaging.

ETA: The discussion of qualifications was taken outside: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159546

Last edited by a moderator:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the simple joys of a foggy Sunday morning, a good cup of coffee, and a classic wrangle.

So ... it's been a year and a quarter since the OP, with no sign of clients and/or sales. I'd be interested to hear how the folks who submitted to him for his honesty, etc. fared at the end of the day.

HJW

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the simple joys of a foggy Sunday morning, a good cup of coffee, and a classic wrangle.

So ... it's been a year and a quarter since the OP, with no sign of clients and/or sales. I'd be interested to hear how the folks who submitted to him for his honesty, etc. fared at the end of the day.

Mat's given up agenting, he says writers don't need agents now.

http://www.mathewferguson.com.au/home.html

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'll tell that to my friend who is a brand new, unpublished writer. Within the last two months she's found a fabulous agent who has sold her book here and in several other countries for astronomical advances.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I'll tell that to my friend who is a brand new, unpublished writer. Within the last two months she's found a fabulous agent who has sold her book here and in several other countries for astronomical advances.
Yeah, but she'll have to pay him/her 10% forever, when instead, she could be selling thousands of books at $.35 each.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's 15%, Roger. But she doesn't care: even after she's paid her agent she'll still be able to buy herself a new house and have enough left over for a car and a holiday. She got some serious advances. If only she'd not bothered with an agent and put her work up on Kindle instead.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away