• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] The Gernert Company

LindsayP

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Sarah Burnes @ Gernert Company?

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
I queried her a few months ago by sending her requested package according to this site: http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=541
She took a couple months to respond, but apologized for the delay in a personal, thoughtful rejection letter.

That's the limit of my experience with her. Unfortunately.

kap

Whisper

[Agency] Gernert Company

Does anyone have any experience with Erika Storella with the Gernert Company? I would very much appreciate any anecdotal information.

Novel Idea

Registered
Reaction score
My friend is agented by another Gernert agent, and LOVES her. Her name is Sara something - anyway, he thinks it's a great agency.

Whisper

Thank you. The agency sounds great. I just can't find any information about Erika Storella herself, not on agentquery or preditors or editors or litmatch or anything. But her profile on the Gernert company website makes her sound like a perfect fit for me.

finewritingfinewine

Registered
Reaction score
Anything new on these guys? Specifically, anything about Chris Parris-Lamb? Certainly the agency seems to have a good track record, but I haven't seem a lot about his list. Also, does anyone have any ideas on recent response time estimates?

And as a matter of course, not just specific to them, when is it deemed appropriate to check/query on a full mss? I had thought at 6-8 weeks but now it seems that many think even that is being too pushy?

Thanks!

LoisLane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.llmetropolis.com
Stephanie Cabot

Has anyone had any personal experience with Stephanie Cabot at Gernert? I have been to the Web site, etc. but I am interested in the actual exchange. Thanks.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
She's my agent and she's wonderful. Extremely positive, confident, and enthusiastic with great contacts.

LoisLane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.llmetropolis.com
She's my agent and she's wonderful. Extremely positive, confident, and enthusiastic with great contacts.

Stephanie is also my agent, and I heartily endorse everything said about her above. She is a joy to work with.

Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Thanks. I appreciate the response and many kudos for having landed a great agent. Now, hopefully she likes what she reads and makes a request. :)

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
More about Sarah Burnes:
-an interview of her author Nic Kelman where she is mentioned

-this Children's Bookshelf page says:
At last week's Frankfurt Book Fair, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers acquired North American rights for Gitty Daneshvari's School of Fear in a preemptive two-book deal with Sarah Burnes at the Gernert Company...
-Peter Behrens: The Law of Dreams: Reviews and News says:
7/17/2006
The Law Of Momentum
Last December, Gernert's Sarah Burnes sold North American rights to Canadian Peter Behrens's debut novel, The Law of Dreams, to Chip Fleischer at Steerforth...
-this post at agent Colleen Lindsay's blog says:
This time, the book in question was SCHOOL OF FEAR by newcomer Gitty Daneshvari, sold for six-figures in a two-book to Little Brown Books for Young Readers, by Sarah Burnes at The Gernert Company (NA).
Here's what makes this story all the more fascinating...

Julianne Douglas

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know anything specific about Chris or Sarah (I am represented by another agent at the agency, Stephanie Cabot), but I have been very pleased with the agency. It is top-notch, with an impressive list of clients and very personable and hard-working agents.

finewritingfinewine

Registered
Reaction score
Good to hear. They seem like a great agency. Thanks for the leads!

Chris ultimately said no to my mss with about the nicest letter I could have asked for, but did pass it on to someone else with a recommendation. Keep your fingers crossed!

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the two Gernert Company threads could be merged?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
How quick is the agency at responding to queries by email? Did you use the general email address? Thanks.

finewritingfinewine

Registered
Reaction score
I've had some experience with another agent at the company: Chris Parris-Lamb. He was prompt, friendly and incredibly helpful. He made a request for my full 2 days after the query, and got back to me with just about the nicest "no" note I could have asked for almost exactly a month later.

Nothing but stellar experience here (well, except for the no part but you can't win them all, right?)

Julianne Douglas

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Ms. Jem! Stephanie's pretty quick about responding. I hope the news is good! What type of novel is it?

River Rat

Registered
Reaction score
Erika Storella requested a full from me last month. I sent it but it came through all messed up (my fault) so she asked that I resend it as an attachment, which I did. That was on 4/5. I haven't heard a thing since. I sent her an e-mail last week asking if she received the attachment. No response. I don't know if silence is good or not.
What's the etiquette here?
Do I e-mail to ask if she got the e-mail regarding my e-mail?
I don't want to be rude or sound desperate.

Ms. Jem

Love, Lust and Ghosts
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danitaminnis.com
Hi River Rat,

I would say no news is good news. You've already sent an email, I'd leave it at that for now. Keep in mind the number of submissions they are dealing with on a daily basis. If they are reviewing fulls in the order that they are received, it might take months. I haven't heard anything yet either, but it's only been a month and a week. I'm just as anxious as you are, but you don't want to seem pushy. Good luck to us! :)

River Rat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the soothing words Ms. Jem. "Waiting," as Tom Petty says, "is the hardest part." Ditto the luck.