• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Ryan Communications (Jack Ryan)

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I was thinking the same thing. I would shrug off the 32 bucks, but the offer sounds a little off to me. I can't imagine any agent saying "Wow, I really like the sound of this but I'm not going to take it on unless I have it on paper." Now, the other questions about others who have seen it ,that I can understand.

Incidentally, we are one big inbred SoCal clan here. I'm also in Hemet, CA.

Hah! Check this out. My last agent got a full request from Medallion. So he writes to me and asks me to print it up and send it to them, and to remind them that it was sanctioned by him to do it this way.

Kind of a WTF moment for an agency client, wot?

Tri

Chuck Jones

Runs With Scissors
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there are a lot of Southern CA people here. Many from Diego. And from LA, where I was born and raised. But man, I didn't think for one minute there was another Hemet person here!

Tri

We live in the middle of this desert gulag, what the hell else are we going to do but write?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
We live in the middle of this desert gulag, what the hell else are we going to do but write?

It is our lot in life, amongst the valley of the mastodons. Hell, even wrote a non-fic book about our Ice Age mammal discoveries out here. Anything to put our lowly asses on the map. BTW, the most strenuous activity I've seen in Hemet is shuffleboard. Gak.

Tri

tasha43055

Writer For Life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blogspot.com
Wow, Tri. This is the strangest thing I have ever read. Is this a rejection, yet... Something doesn't seem right to me. It's strange that there is no info for him anywhere and no sales. I think you could find a much better place to go with. We all know this book must be something and I can tell by your webpage, you have real talent. (I hate that phrase, sounds cheesy) There are no sales and one person claimed to have had a rough time with this man. Go with your gut but remember how many fulls and partials you have out there. There is still time for someone really great to want it. Good luck...
:Hug2:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Tasha. Yeah, I'm proceeding ahead one-third--no sense in going flank speed into unknown waters. I've asked him who his three clients (the ones mentioned) are and the book titles. I don't like to burn any bridges, but I must know where this bridge leads. His prior communications seemed fine--he was expressive and very curious about the concept of the book, and we talked about it at length. No warning bells went off. And I really can't blame any agent who is not used to reading full manuscripts off the monitor.

Tri

Dreadnought

Registered
Reaction score
Jack Ryan Literary Agent

I read several posts about Jack Ryan from CT. Mr. Ryan represented a novel of mine for about six months. During that time he got it to the desks of eight editors from the largest publishing houses. He also sent me those editors' responses which was of great value. We didn't score, but he certainly exceeded expectations as an agent.

winterborn

I walk through Mindfields
Registered
Reaction score
My concern would be that agents are supposed to make the sale. That's why we reach out to them. Dreadnought were you able to find another agent and then get a subsequent sale? Or was it all editorial "get your manuscript into shape" kind of advise?

I ask because all I've ever been able to dig up about him or his wife (also listed as an agent) is that they have editted books but never sold (nor published according to what's listed about his wife) anything. I'm not looking for an editting service, but I've seen him mention that he respresents one of the "most successful YA author's in the nation". But never once mentioned who that mysterious author was.

What's the general concensus? Editor service or agent?

ivycrown

Registered
Reaction score
I read several posts about Jack Ryan from CT. Mr. Ryan represented a novel of mine for about six months. During that time he got it to the desks of eight editors from the largest publishing houses. He also sent me those editors' responses which was of great value. We didn't score, but he certainly exceeded expectations as an agent.

I am an editor at a Big Six publishing house, and I just wanted to share my experiences with Jack Ryan with you, so that you understand the way he operates.

Last week, I got a query from Mr. Ryan. It looked familiar, so I went back in my old email files, and discovered that he had sent me the same query for the same novel in December. When he queries me then, he told me that another editor in my imprint had suggested that I might be interested in the book.

So naturally, I called the other editor in my imprint, and asked her if this was true. It was not. She had never heard of Mr. Ryan before, and had not had any contact with him. He straight-up lied to try to get me to review a submission, which really turned me off, so I thanked him politely and told him I was not interested.

When he queried me last week, there was no mention of the December query.

Here are my feelings on what happened here. If I was more gullible/less friendly with my coworkers, I might have been willing to look at the submission--in fact, most of the time I do take a look at anything that is queried to me by agents. If that had happened, I most likely would have read some of it, and if I didn't like it, would have written a polite rejection letter that had a modicum of praise for the novel as well as my reasons for passing.

Mr. Ryan then would have been able to pass my rejection on to his client as "proof" that he has editorial contacts at respectable publishing houses--ie, proof that he is capable of doing the job he claims to be capable of doing.

I'm not going to say that Mr. Ryan is a scam agent, but he is certainly not a good agent. His behavior is the kind of agent behavior that makes me want to warn authors not to trust him with your book, because a poor agent (even one who isn't trying to take advantage of you) is often worse than no agent at all.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No further sign of Ryan from CT.