• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] J. de. S. Associates, Inc. (Jacques de Spoelberch)

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

jcdarrin

I am looking for any information or experience with this agent. P&E just lists him. A web search shows some best-selling authors and some not so successful ones. He is an ex-editor at Houghton-Mifflin and has agented for years. I don't find him listed in the Index here.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
this is joshilyn jackson's agent and she raves about him... I think he'd be fine to go with :) She's a dear friend of mine so I would say go for it.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Jacques de Spoelberch
J de S Associates
9 Shagbark Rd., Wilson Pt.
South Norwalk, CT 06854

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
He's also Margaret George's agent. AR&E lists him as having made sales of record for 20 clients (which is typically an underestimate, since not all sales are reported). Writer's Market says:

Established: 1975
Represents 50 clients
Currently handles 50% nonfiction; 50% novels
In fiction, he reps: Detective/Police/Crime; Historical; Juvenile; Literary; Mainstream/Contemporary; Mystery/Suspense; New Age/Metaphysical; Westerns/Frontier; Young Adult

How to contact: Query with SASE, responds in 2 months to queries.
Obtains new clients through recommendations from authors and other clients;
Takes 15% on domestic; 20% on foreign; charges for foreign postage and photocopying.

===========
He sounds like an interesting fellow, actually, and I've have no hesitation about contacting him.

Leighton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leightongage.com
Jacques de Spoelberch

Jacques is my agent. He is a sterling professional, an absolute gentleman, and a very lovely man. I cannot recommend him highly enough. As a writer, you'll be very lucky if he takes an interest in you.

Leighton Gage
http://www.leightongage.com

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to hear, since my partial's sitting with him.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
He's real, he's professional, he has authors whose names you know the minute you hear them, and he definitely makes sales.

tessa

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a rejection from Mr. de Spoelberch (1 day after querying) and when I updated my records I realized I'd addressed the query to Mr. Spoelberch instead of Mr. de Spoelberch. I'm sure if he'd like my query it wouldn't have mattered, but I'm kicking myself just the same. Hopefully I can save someone else from making the same silly mistake.

IsabellaCranford

Happily stuck in the 19th century
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if people are checking this thread very much these days, but I was wondering if anyone who has Jacques de Spoelberch as an agent can tell me if he signed a contract with you. On Joshilyn Jackson's blog, she has an enthusiastic posting about him as her agent, but she said they never signed a contract, that a handshake was enough for them both. He sounds like an amazing agent, but this aspect seems quite strange. I'm not sure that I'd be willing to sign with someone without officially signing with him or her.

Any thoughts?

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Love Jacques

Jacques is my agent. I adore him.

We did sign a contract for a year. He wrote it up and I reviewed it. We are out of that year and still working together. He's very old school and his word is gold. You have no worries with Jacques.

Krampus Nacht

Krampus