• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Blake Friedmann

Garretguy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - couldn't find a thread dedicated to this agency, so I've started this one. Anyone have any experience? They have one agent (out of four I think) actively seeking SF&F subs, which is good news for me IF they're good to deal with.

TIA!
John

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
define 'good to deal with'.
They are a highly reputable agency with a long track record of selling books to major publishers.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A disclaimer: I'm friends with Carole Blake, who is a joy to know; and my niece works at the agency.

This is one of the best agencies there is. Seriously good. They make very good sales for all their clients; and they work very deeply with each book, making all sorts of foreign and subsidiary rights deals which makes a huge difference to their authors' incomes--and it builds on their successes in an extraordinary way.

Follow their submission guidelines to the letter, and good luck.

You might like to read Carole's book, From Pitch to Publication. It's a bit out of date now but it's still the best book I've read about the publication process.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Carole Blake came in to give a fascinating talk to my MA Publishing course at University College London.

Garretguy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback - they were high up in my ranked list of "agents for submission" already based on other parameters (yes, OK, I get a bit OCD about my process) but as one of the few agencies not mentioned in these hallowed halls I just had a bit of a wobble so thought it was worth checking.

I'll make sure to let you know how it goes :)

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Desperately, impossibly sad.

anaemic_mind

I come with accessories now
Registered
Reaction score
Spotted this on Twitter this morning and thought those currently querying/future query-ers might find it useful:

http://blakefriedmann.co.uk/news/bfla-open-week-announcement-2023

From Monday, 6th of March, we will, once again, be opening our virtual doors with a week dedicated to demystifying publishing and agenting, and supporting writers seeking representation. We will be running live #AskAgent sessions, sharing agent blogs on a variety of agenting and publishing topics, and running book giveaways across our social media accounts between the 6th and 10th of March.