• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] ADA Management Group (Lauren Hammond)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
According to PM, the newly re-opened "novelist division" of this agency is being run by one Lauren Hammond.

From Ms. Hammond's bio:
Lauren began her writing career winning the Editor's Choice Award and Best Poets and Poems of 2007 for her poem, Summer Days from poetry.com.
Aaaaand I think that's all that needs to be said about that.

- Victoria

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the same Lauren Hammond...

http://lmpreston.blogspot.com/2011/01/lauren-hammond-lit-agent-author-of-love.html

Her bio states...

Lauren Hammond knew from a young age that she was born to be a writer. After publishing her first novel in 2007, she then went on to write several screenplays and a few award winning poems.She aspires to be a positive role model for young people who have a pencil, a piece of paper, and a dream. Never give up on your dreams, you might wake up one day and regret not pursuing them.She has two more novels in the works, as well as some film projects.

From her tour schedule, she appears to be based out of Maryland or Virginia. Where is ADA located?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Yes, it's the same Lauren Hammond, she identifies herself as a literary agent and the bottom of the post links to ADA.

Her book Love Sucks was published by Punkin House Press, a small publisher that claims to be "working with distributors" to get its books into stores--but its books aren't even available on Amazon, except through Marketplace sellers.

And, oh dear, not just Poetry.com but PublishAmerica too.

- Victoria

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I like the following from their submissions page:

ADA Management Website:
Unsolicited Submissions- Authors/Novelists

Gosh. Authors and novelists ...

ADA Management Business Structure:
[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]Is a list of these contacts available?[/FONT][/FONT]
Yes- to signed clients who have a Non-Disclosure Agreement on file with ADA Management
Group or any related partners. We’d love to tell the world who we work with, but many of
them wish not to share that information with anyone not related to the company.

Uh-huh.

Of course, there's nothing stopping them disclosing who they've sold to/dealt with who don't mind being identified.

ADA Management Business Structure:
ADA Management Group currently operates out of a home-based office in Palm
Beach Gardens, FL. The need for office space will be addressed again in 2011.

Interesting.

LM Preston's Blog:
What was the turn of events that opened the doors to you becoming a Lit Agent?

I've done some critiques for a friend of mine, who's talent agency is opening up their former literary department. She asked me if I'd be interested and I accepted ..

Always a positive sign ...

LM Preston's Blog:
Tell me about the lit agency you are with?

I'm with ADA Management Group which is based out of Florida.. They are fantastic and they also handle a lot of writing for the film industry.. When they began, they set up literary connections and they just needed someone to run the department. That's where I came in.

And yet I can't find a production or publishing sales history for them.

MM

Last edited:

saboor

Verily after hardship there is ease
Registered
Reaction score
ADA Management have requested material from me following an initial query on my part, however have also asked me to sign a submission agreement. Does anyone know if much about these agreements? I do not want my idea stolen, not that ADA management would do that but it's just signing a legal document which states that if my idea is stolen i can't do anything about it?!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about your idea getting stolen, I guarantee you someone has thought of it before. Ideas are ten-a-penny, it is all in the execution

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
ADA Management have requested material from me following an initial query on my part, however have also asked me to sign a submission agreement.

What benefit would their representation provide you? They don't have any history of sales, and the principal has submitted her own work to two of the least reputable venues in the US (PublishAmerica and Poetry.com).

Why not try seeking representation with firms that have actually made sales in your field? There's no reason to be anyone else's guinea pig.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
What waylander says - the clause is to prevent crazies from suing them if they sell a manuscript by someone else that just happens to resemble yours.

I would be far more worried by the apparent lack of credentials of the people behind it. As mentioned above, their "literary agent" Lauren Hammond has no real experience in the industry.

saboor

Verily after hardship there is ease
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are quick!!

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated.

I have one other manuscript request (not full) from Anderson Management. Here's hoping I get a good response.

Otherwise it has been a road of rejection, a very surprisingly painful road.

ladyjerusalem

Mastering the art of telepathy.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I would update and give my two cents here. I received a request from Ms. Hammond for a partial back on 3/31/11. I forwarded it to her immediately, along with my signed paperwork. She REPLIED TO THE EMAIL I SENT saying thanks and that she would get back to me.

Several weeks pass and I send her a follow up email, asking if she needs anything else. May 4th, she says she's sorry, she never got my partial until now and I need to give her more time. It is now May 26th, and I don't have a whole lot of faith in hearing from her. I was disturbed by her saying she never received my material when she actually replied to the email that contained the requested material. I will let you all know if anything else develops that alters this opinion. I'm a little wary right now, but maybe there is a legitimate reason for the mix up.

LaurenH7384

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Lauren Hammond and being that this whole thread is about me, I thought I'd take a moment clarify some things.

1. I did publish with publish america and I was also only twenty years old at the time I signed with them. I went into blindly, not really knowing what I was getting into at the time. Looking back, do I regret it? Not at all. Because with every novel or literary piece that you write, you learn more. You learn what to do and what not to do.

2.Just because I'm a new agent does not mean I do not know what I'm doing. And so far, the fact that I am a new agent hasn't kept editors from requesting subs from me.

3. Punkin House does have a distributor. Are our books in stores yet? No. Why? Because not everything in literary land operates according to schedule. And also because the company just moved from Kentucky to New York. And believe me, when you are trying to set up fifteen authors with a distributor things can get a little hectic.

4. Experience wise, am I new to agenting yes, obviously I stated that above. But to the literary world in general no. I've been doing this for seven years. And I have to say that it took me the full seven years to really call myself experienced. And the seven year road I took to get where I am has had it's fair share of ups and downs. But in those seven years, I have built a solid platform, met a lot of great people, have been to a lot of great literary workshops, conventions, readings, and book signings.

5. I'm upfront and honest with all of my clients from the moment I decide to take them on. And I don't have a sales record yet because I am EXTREMELY thorough. And because I've only been doing this for a short time. I will spend as long as I need to working on an MS with a client. I'm not going to submit an ms to editors until it gleams perfection. I will go through it five times, ten times at the most. Maybe other agents operate differently but I can't speak for them.

6. I also bring a marketing perspective to the table. Being that I've ran the entire marketing dept for Punkin House by myself for the last year and a half. Handling the PR for fifteen authors is not an easy task, I can promise you that.

7. If you have any questions you can ask me.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, LaurenH7384, and welcome to AW.

LaurenH7384:
Just because I'm a new agent does not mean I do not know what I'm doing. And so far, the fact that I am a new agent hasn't kept editors from requesting subs from me.

What are your qualifications to be an agent? Have you previously interned at an agency or otherwise worked in publishing (apart from Punkin House)?

Which editors at which publishers have been requesting material?

LaurenH7384:
Punkin House does have a distributor. Are our books in stores yet? No. Why? Because not everything in literary land operates according to schedule. And also because the company just moved from Kentucky to New York. And believe me, when you are trying to set up fifteen authors with a distributor things can get a little hectic.

The location of a publisher shouldn't have any impact on its distribution network other than in relation to the correspondence address. Given that it's already released a number of print books, it's disturbing that it decided to do so before it had proper distribution in place. That points to amateurism.

What you do with your own work is obviously up to you, but the fact that you chose to publish through a small house that was originally accepting poetry (which anyone and everyone knows is not a viable commercial market) and which doesn't seem to pay advances, does raise questions as to your credibility.

LaurenH7384:
4. Experience wise, am I new to agenting yes, obviously I stated that above. But to the literary world in general no. I've been doing this for seven years. And I have to say that it took me the full seven years to really call myself experienced. And the seven year road I took to get where I am has had it's fair share of ups and downs. But in those seven years, I have built a solid platform, met a lot of great people, have been to a lot of great literary workshops, conventions, readings, and book signings.

Being a literary agent is not an entrance level job. Your actual publishing experience seems to be limited to PA (fine - loads of people have been stung by them) and being published by and working for a small publisher that doesn't pay advances and doesn't seem able to get books into stores (which, incidentally, could be seen as little more than self-publishing).

I've been writing for over 6 years, have been to loads of conventions, readings and book signings, have got a respected agent, have connections with editors at OUP, Hachette, HarperCollins and S&S. None of that means I'm going to set up a shingle saying that I'm an agent. I don't have the actual experience to do it and the fact that you'll be learning on the job means that your authors are little more than guinea pigs.

LaurenH7384:
5. I'm upfront and honest with all of my clients from the moment I decide to take them on. And I don't have a sales record yet because I am EXTREMELY thorough. And because I've only been doing this for a short time. I will spend as long as I need to working on an MS with a client. I'm not going to submit an ms to editors until it gleams perfection. I will go through it five times, ten times at the most. Maybe other agents operate differently but I can't speak for them.

But you've never been able to make a commercial sale of your own work, so how do you know what's perfect or not?

Agents differ as to the amount of editing they require or will help with - not least because some only take on authors whose work was ready to go at submission.

My agent took me on a partial and has provided editing comments - we've been working for the last 18 months on getting the manuscript right. In the meantime, she's talked about my book at Bologna and Frankfurt and has 9 commercial publishers lined up to look at it and talked to foreign publishers as well.

6. I also bring a marketing perspective to the table. Being that I've ran the entire marketing dept for Punkin House by myself for the last year and a half. Handling the PR for fifteen authors is not an easy task, I can promise you that.

Does this mean that you'll be submitting to Punkin House? Are you still working for them as well as running your agency?

MM

saphirablue84

Fighting off ninja plot bunnies
Registered
Reaction score
Just throwing in my two cents

I am friends with five authors who are rep'd by Ms. Hammond and all seem very happy with her. I have even queried her myself, and I don't query lightly. One of the author's I've mentioned above has sold a ms to Entangled Publishing. I know this doesn't answer a lot of questions, but I will say that I have heard nothing but positive things about Lauren and recommend querying her. :)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
saphirablue84:
I am friends with five authors who are rep'd by Ms. Hammond and all seem very happy with her.

Cool. Have your friends all got publishing deals yet or are they still out on submission? If they're out on submission, can you share with us some of the publishers who currently have their manuscript?

saphirablue84:
One of the author's I've mentioned above has sold a ms to Entangled Publishing.

Yes, but firstly you don't need an agent to submit to Entangled Publishing - the author could have done it herself/himself without giving Lauren a percentage - and secondly, I believe I'm righti n saying that Entangled is a royalty only paying publisher (although no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that). If that's the case, then unless Lauren negotiated an advance (and that would be good to know), the authors are losing a percentage of their 40% royalties to her for something that they could already do themselves.

saphirablue84
I know this doesn't answer a lot of questions, but I will say that I have heard nothing but positive things about Lauren and recommend querying her.

A lot of people have positive things to say about Barbara Bauer and Bouncing Bobby Fletcher but that doesn't mean I'd recommend querying them.

The fact is, unless and until Lauren starts making professional sales to commercial advance paying publishers, she is not an agent I would recommend querying.

MM

saphirablue84

Fighting off ninja plot bunnies
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Have your friends all got publishing deals yet or are they still out on submission? If they're out on submission, can you share with us some of the publishers who currently have their manuscript?

A couple have just signed with her and aren't ready for subs yet. The others have sold books, but I am not certain, (so I won't say it) that Lauren is who sold them. You're question is a valid one and if I find out a real answer, I'll report back happily.

Yes, but firstly you don't need an agent to submit to Entangled Publishing - the author could have done it herself/himself without giving Lauren a percentage - and secondly, I believe I'm righti n saying that Entangled is a royalty only paying publisher (although no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that). If that's the case, then unless Lauren negotiated an advance (and that would be good to know), the authors are losing a percentage of their 40% royalties to her for something that they could already do themselves.

You are correct about being able to submit to Entangled without an agent, and I wasn't saying Lauren negotiated the deal. I realize now that I should have mentioned the fact that I wasn't sure who did it in my first post, and I apologize for that. My sleepy mind has struck again! What I was trying to say was, that one has been accepted by Entangled and the release I read was from Lauren. Since it isn't my book, I am not certain how the deal was made. Once again, sorry for lack of info.

A lot of people have positive things to say about Barbara Bauer and Bouncing Bobby Fletcher but that doesn't mean I'd recommend querying them.

The fact is, unless and until Lauren starts making professional sales to commercial advance paying publishers, she is not an agent I would recommend querying.

MM

I use AW like it's the law when querying and if I had one doubt about Lauren, I wouldn't have queried her. But that's a choice each person must make for themselves. In all reality, all I'm trying to say is that from what I've heard from trusted friends, Lauren is doing good by them.

I appreciate your questions and I'm sorry if I'm not answering them. If I had them, I'd share gladly. Ack! I hate not answering people! :( I'll report back if I find anything out. As of right now though, Lauren's okay with me. :)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Anything new about Lauren Hammond? Anyone care to share? =P

PM shows 6 sales made by her to Entangled Publishing (1 sale), Spencer Hill Press (2 sales) and Tribute Books (3 sales) since December, all of which take unagented subs. No other sales are listed.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lauren,

3. Punkin House does have a distributor. Are our books in stores yet? No. Why? Because not everything in literary land operates according to schedule. And also because the company just moved from Kentucky to New York
If you have any questions you can ask me.
Hi Lauren,

Since there's been a request for updated info for this thread, care to updated us on your point#3?

It's been another 6 months. Are Punkin House books in physical stores yet?

Mac

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Lauren is on fire now. Has made several good deals for her authors. And to those author's she's helped they are very happy with her. Even though you can submit to these publishers yourself - it does make a difference when an agent submits you.

I don't have an agent so I'm not biased. Just reporting that she is doing something for her authors.

Check it out:

Here's her page:http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/Lauren7384/

Here's her announcements:
Month 9 Books

www.month9books.com/
Jennifer writes teen fiction, and is represented by Lauren Hammond of ADA .... Month9Books signs debut author.

Also, Rachel Harris announces her deal made by her Lit Agent, Lauren Hammond,
http://theendingunplanned.blogspot.com/

Just google the news.

Oh and this one just announced today:
http://jlspelbring.blogspot.com/201...howComment=1332208402173#c8707267965577635286

Last edited:

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Lauren is on fire now. Has made several good deals for her authors.

Check it out:

You don't need an agent to sub to Entangled and Month9 is a startup I never heard of until today (although I did read somewhere Georgia M of YAlitchat was starting a new publishing venture.)

Does Ms. Hammond have any other recent deals to long established publishers?

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
You don't need an agent to sub to Entangled and Month9 is a startup I never heard of until today

Quoted for emphasis.

Hardly what I would call "on fire".

Additionally, the typos in her PM page along with the fact that she is still flouting poetry.com as some kind of credit to her name are huge red flags.

This is one of those times where it's really, really important to remember that anyone can call themselves an agent.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
As has been said here numerous times, an agent's job is to take clients where they can't go on their own--i.e., to agented-only or mostly-agent publishers. Why give 15% of your income to an agent for placing you with a publisher you could have approached yourself? Especially since many agents who focus on these kinds of publishers lack the knowledge and contacts to effectively negotiate contracts and sell subsidiary rights (another important aspect of an agent's job).

That said...with caveats for its newness, Month9 looks like a promising startup.

- Victoria