• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

AEI Entertainment / Writer's Lifeline (Ken Atchity)

Julie Worth

Anyone have any experience with the “entrepreneurial broker” Ken Atchity?

vstrauss

Re: Ken Atchity & AEI Entertainment?

AEI is a successful agency, with a sizeable track record and a number of well-known and bestselling clients.

It also runs an editing service, Writers Lifeline, Inc., to which rejected submissions are referred and through which new writers are encouraged to approach the agency. It describes Writers Lifeline as a "farm team developing new talent"; writers who use the service are promised "priority consideration" by AEI. It's claimed that 70% of AEI's sales derive from writers who've been "developed" through the service, but I don't see anything on the Writers Lifeline website to support this. High-profile AEI authors who are reportedly clients of Writers Lifeline include Steve Alten and Jesse Ventura--but you have to ask, why are these bestselling authors buying editing services from their own agency?

Writer Beware has also gotten complaints of outside book doctor referrals and nonstandard author-agent contract terms, including nonstandard royalties.

- Victoria

utsusemia

AEI - Ken Atchity

This is my first post, so hello everyone ;)

I couldn't find any information on this agency through the search feature so I figure I'd ask here and see what comes up. Basically, this agency has just expressed some interest in my work (not a definite offer, but hopeful) and I wanted to be as informed as I can before I agree to anything. I've heard such mixed things about this agency already (conflict of interest with extremely expensive editorial services, for example, as well as major, multi-million dollar sales to major houses). Has anyone here had any personal experience with them? Any opinions as to whether they might be a good option?

Thanks!

RaptorBpW

Registered
Reaction score
I believe Ken Atchity represents Steve Alten, who has had some decent success as a popular novelist. By which I mean he's sold more books than me, but less than Stephen King. ;)

His books are fun popcorn-type adventures. I recommend them for an enjoyable read. And the very BEST part about Steve Alten is the fact that he ALWAYS returns his emails. I sent him some fan mail, and he always wrote back. And his second book was published by Kensington, the company which published my first, 11th Hour. I emailed him asking for his opinion of the company, and he quickly obliged with a nice response.

So, it'd be best to ask Steve directly. I'm certain he'll write back in short order.

His site: http://stevealten.com/

Email's on the home page, I think.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
This is what Victoria said when I asked about him—

AEI is a successful agency, with a sizeable track record and a number of well-known and bestselling clients.

It also runs an editing service, Writers Lifeline, Inc., to which rejected submissions are referred and through which new writers are encouraged to approach the agency. It describes Writers Lifeline as a "farm team developing new talent"; writers who use the service are promised "priority consideration" by AEI. It's claimed that 70% of AEI's sales derive from writers who've been "developed" through the service, but I don't see anything on the Writers Lifeline website to support this. High-profile AEI authors who are reportedly clients of Writers Lifeline include Steve Alten and Jesse Ventura--but you have to ask, why are these bestselling authors buying editing services from their own agency?

Writer Beware has also gotten complaints of outside book doctor referrals and nonstandard author-agent contract terms, including nonstandard royalties.

- Victoria

He's now turned me down twice. Bugger!

utsusemia

Thanks for all the info, guys :) Guess I'll wait and see what happens...

The Maven Code

Jennifer Pope @ AEI

Hello Everyone:

New to this thing. Sent a query to AEI and received back that Jennifer would like to see the full manuscript with a 1-2 pg synopsis for an exclusive look for 30 days upon receiving.

Located in Beverly Hills, CA

Has anyone had any dealing with this literary management team.

Thanks

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just did a search on Preditors and Editors and this is what I came up with:

A.E.I. On Line (aka AEI Agency): Not recommended. "a full-service literary management and motion picture production company, delivering a full array of development, sales, marketing and promotion, producing, licensing, and merchandising services for writers and artists within the Book, Film, TV, Music and Product Arenas." Contributed by Ken Atchity.

Not sure why they're not recommended; hopefully someone else will have the lowdown (and maybe Dave Kuzminski, who runs that site, will pop in and let you know).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

~Nancy

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
AEI's come up before. Looks like conflict of interest with editing business.

Last edited:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Just got spam from Writer's Lifeline

I got spam about the Writer's Lifeline editing service, so I thought I'd check to see if they had already been covered. Yup. :)

Strike 1) They sell editing services
Strike 2) They spam.
Strike 3) They misspelled their company name in the middle of their spam!!! (The Writer's Lifline?!)
:roll: I'm too busy laughing to call the strikeout. :tongue

OK, they may have some famous clients and all, but big whoop. I'd rather learn to edit my own books. Maybe if I were a pro wrestler/governor writing a book, I'd feel differently. (Then again, I'd still slam the spammers and tie them in little knots!!! Grrrrr!!! Cough cough cough... Never mind, so much for my pro wrestling career.)

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
There is more on this topic under the thread "Farris Literary Agency", since Farris is associated with AEI.

Rob B

Registered
Reaction score
AEI

I remember how excited I was about ten years ago when one of the AEI logo packets arrived in my mailbox, expressing an interest in my manuscript. I cannot express how unexcited I was when a short time later one of his agents called me to explain the services that she could provide--all, of course, at a hefty fee.

I recently queried them out of curiousity. It is hard to ignore the overwhelming CV they post, but something does not make sense. It would
be interesting to see a balance sheet with how much of the agency's income comes from book sales and what percentage is derived from their editorial services. The editorial service is simply sold too hard. The independent book editors I have worked with over the years have all been relatively shy about money issues. Please don't ask me who they were, because I am not selling their services, but this has been my experience with each of them.

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
AEI legit?

Hi, AEI seems to be popping up everytime I query for film related projects. Is this firm legit? I would like to sell a non-fiction true crime story for a potential idea for a feature film or made for television movie.

edgyllama

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
P&E has this on them:

A.E.I. On Line (aka AEI Agency): Not recommended. "a full-service literary management and motion picture production company, delivering a full array of development, sales, marketing and promotion, producing, licensing, and merchandising services for writers and artists within the Book, Film, TV, Music and Product Arenas." Contributed by Ken Atchity.

I don't know why they have a not recommended, maybe a fee charger.
Their website: http://aeionline.com/

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

Last edited:

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
not good..

Thanks for the info..better for me to be safe than sorry..

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Edgyllama: I think it might have something to do with editing fees. That was the last I heard.

silverjoy

Banned
Reaction score
Info on AEI

from what I read on their website, they don't take money. They only take your manuscript or screenplay if it is ready for them to look at, but they say if it isn't you can always send it over to their sister company for them to edit it and hone it and get it ready for the AEI to look at it. Of course that would cost a fee. They are very upfront about it. I recall seeing the AEI name in the credits of some movies recently.. I am a book writer with published books, but I think I will check them out further for the screenplay I am writing. Ya never know they may be what I need to get further in the business. I'm not afraid to put out money for my career as a writer. Heck I just paid for a college course at our local college on how to write a screenplay. I went to college before for 9 yrs studying Education and Psychology. I had to pay for that college too. So I guess no matter what we do in life there is always money to pay out, including rent, electricity, water bills etc. Ya know what I mean? Well nice talkin to y'all!

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
from what I read on their website, they don't take money. They only take your manuscript or screenplay if it is ready for them to look at, but they say if it isn't you can always send it over to their sister company for them to edit it and hone it and get it ready for the AEI to look at it. Of course that would cost a fee. They are very upfront about it. I recall seeing the AEI name in the credits of some movies recently.. I am a book writer with published books, but I think I will check them out further for the screenplay I am writing. Ya never know they may be what I need to get further in the business. I'm not afraid to put out money for my career as a writer. Heck I just paid for a college course at our local college on how to write a screenplay. I went to college before for 9 yrs studying Education and Psychology. I had to pay for that college too. So I guess no matter what we do in life there is always money to pay out, including rent, electricity, water bills etc. Ya know what I mean? Well nice talkin to y'all!

OK, but did it cost you money to sell your books?

skimom64

Registered
Reaction score
personal experience with Ken Atchity

I am represented by Ken Atchity and have found him and his agency to be nothing less than professional. When I was in LA, he and his wife invited me to their home for dinner and included several members of their staff to meet me, a new client. Due to personal reasons, I had to put my project on the back burner. Ken and his staff said, "We're there for you when you're ready." Never have they offered me their writing services or other fee-based services as mentioned by other posts. Perhaps they saw that your writing needed help. I don't know. From what I know of Ken and his staff, they are genuine people, with great connections in the movie/TV industry as well. I'm back to working on my book proposal and can't wait to send it to Ken because I know he'll be so supportive and enthusiastic.

Reaction score
Atchity.... he's in cahoots with Chi-Li Wong. they get a screenwriter with a property he exec produces she produces... then they trade off on the next one. did joe somebody with tim allen an an angie jolie film so they are in the mix. but they have a bev hills p.o. box --iphysically went and saw--- that is in the basement of a nice address that houses a chines laundry--no kidding. then their 'office' is really over on fairfax---seedy--- you knock on the door of what is a long row of apartments----you go in, it's a boiler room--like three rooms full of people working the phones and computers---the 'editing service i believe-- then you go to a room and meet Chi-Lee. i believe that any 'successes' that they get are basically a result of 'the law of numbers/averages. they touch a ton of stuff... gouge the poor writers that 'need editing assistance'... if they stumble across something that is tremendous... and after all that volume they will run across a diamond once a year... they choke that poor sap and leech on as producers. Sickening. i've been to several 'producers' houses just to check the situation out. most are beat-up. the high rollers are the exception the vast majority don
t have any talent themselves. what they is offer new writers--desperate in dreamstate--- a 'writer-for-hire job. no credit and peanuts couple hundred for full screenplay--if they're lucky. most lure with promise of 'working directly' w/ newbie once they get more exp. then milk till the newbie sees the light. duffy hecht john fogel, and a cast of hundreds, miscreants all. oh... they tried that with me and i took a grand off duffy and ran... he hated squezzing out that grand, but the work he saw was pretty good and he went against his greedy nature and coughed it up. he cried for weeks, but i gave him ten grand worth of work/talent and enjoyed teaching these mooches a lesson. some big names do the hollywood shuffle and have no shame.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping up this thread.

I just came across this agency's deal page on Publishers Marketplace. Anything more recent on this agency?

Thanks in advance.