• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.
  • U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

Advantage Books

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First off, you should never have to pay a fee to have your book published, especially if what you are looking for is to be traditionally published.

I'm going to port this over to bewares and background checks, you'll get much more response over there.

ETA: did a quick google. This appears to be a company using print-on-demand technology: http://www.advbooks.com/

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
VPX
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
No negative marks with the BBB? Be still my heart!

The BBB is utterly worthless when it comes to literary agents and publishers. I know of literary agents who had an unblemished record with the BBB on the day the cops came by to box up everything in the office for evidence.

Being placed on many websites is a function of having an ISBN.

DO NOT SIGN WITH THESE PEOPLE!

The way it works, publishers pay you, not the other way around. Real publishers pay you up front, and not just a dollar either.

See "Excuse me, how much did it cost you?" by our own Ann Crispin. Get yourself a Yog's Law tee-shirt.

And thank your lucky stars for a narrow escape.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
kelleyj,

I'd listen to Chunky, Birol and Jim. They're giving you some great advice.

As to what to do? Go to the bookstores in the area and look at those books that are similar to yours. Check and see what publisher published those books and write them down. Sometimes, but not always, the authors of those books thank their agents; write down those names.

Go to the publishers' websites and see if they accept unagented submissions. If they do, check their submission guidelines and follow them to the letter. (This will probably take a pretty long time, as the larger publishers have absolutely huge slushpiles.)

On to the agents. Check them out here, at Preditors & Editors, and Agent Query. See if the agent has a blog, and if the agency has a website; if they show sales of books, check them on Amazon, etc.

Write a query letter; rewrite it until it's the best you can do. (You might want to submit it to AW's Share Your Work forum so "fresh eyes" can give you an idea of what works and what doesn't.) Find the agents' submission guidelines (yes, more than one; don't send out only one, or you'll die of old age waiting for something to happen ;)).

Then you wait...while working on your next book or a short story or whatever.

It'll take some time to poke through...but at least you won't be out an outrageous $ amount.

Good luck.

~Nancy

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You may, one day, have good reason to go the self-publishing path. But this company is not even a good option in that category either.

Elizabeth George's book Write Away