• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.
  • U.S. members: The Federal Government is offering each household in the United States four (4) free at-home Covid-19 test kits. https://www.covidtests.gov/

Advantage Books

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

JohannaJ7

re:

Except, Advantage Books has YOU retain the copyrights.
You win a lifetime supply of Scammer-B-Gone for using a classic PublishAmerica line!

DaveKuzminski

Re: re:

Johanna, make that two lifetime supplies. She also used "traditional" which was invented by Clopper and Meiners for PA.

CarolPR

Yes, you retain the copyright and licenses.

As for all the other comments, I will take them into consideration as I explain our company. Thank you!

CaoPaux

Re: Questions Answered about Advantage Books.com

It is commendable that you want to help folks get published, but how are you helping them get read (since this is arguably the reason folks want to get published)?

Again, do you offer returns?

Why do you hobble store sales by not printing the price on the book?

Do you have the codes required for library and general retail sales?

CaoPaux

Also, the website promotes their services, not their authors. Strike three, IMO.

JohannaJ7

Three strikes already? If one of their "happy authors" comes on here to post about how they're all a big "family", Advantage Books will be going home with a brand new car!*

*Offer does not apply to Earthlings.

HapiSofi

Re: Advantage Books?!?

CarolPR said:

Please ask me about Advantage Books. I am the public relations person for this publishing house, and have been a director of marketing for several 'traditional' publishing houses, and I have over 20+ years experience in the industry.​

Hiya, junior. If you really have worked in marketing at conventional publishing houses, then you know that what you're promising is misleading or impossible.

"Author owned publishing" is just another euphemism for a vanity POD with no real distribution and no hope of brick-and-mortar placement. Being able to place a prepaid special order at a bookstore and get a copy via Ingram is a no-win proposition for any author who expects to make significant sales.<blockquote><hr>

If you don't understand how it is possible for this new form of publishing--author owned publishing--works,and can work for you, please ask. Please don't dismiss information from me just because you've never heard how this can work.​

I know perfectly well how it works. It sucks. It doesn't sell books. It doesn't make writers, bookstores, or readers happy. It probably makes you happy, but that's your look-out.

"Author owned." Sheesh. Even if that weren't just a euphemism for "vanity published," it'd still be impossible. No author ever believes their book shouldn't perpetually be on offer in every bookstore in the country. You can only have an author-driven business model if booksellers aren't a part of it.

Just as you ask publishers to give you an opportunity, I am asking all of you to give Advantage Books the same opportunity to listen to you, and to show you what CAN BE DONE with your book--just as a traditional publisher does.​

By "traditional publisher" I assume you mean PublishAmerica; that's their terminology. And indeed, it looks like Advantage offers the same chance PA does to have a badly produced copy of your book printed and bound by Lightning Source. The big difference is that you guys charge more for the privilege.

Except, Advantage Books has YOU retain the copyrights.​

I see you're aiming for the sucker audience. Real publishing companies don't ask for copyrights, unless it's a work-for-hire deal. Under a normal contract, they ask for a grant of rights, and the author keeps the copyright.
NOT ONLY IS THIS POSSIBLE, WE ARE DOING IT for our authors. Please ask how. We are not out to scam writers. If you need personal references from the publishing industry, I can provide them for you.​

Thank you, Miriam Abacha. Now go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

HapiSofi

Looks like a vanity POD with more marketing. Returns are going to be the big question. You go, CaoPaux.

arainsb123

If you don't understand how it is possible for this new form of publishing--author owned publishing--works, and can work for you, please ask.

Actually, this isn't a new form. Dorothy Deering, Jim van Tresse, and Donald Phelan all used similar terminology to describe "joint venture" publishing, and look how THAT turned out.

CaoPaux

Thanks, Hapi. Her remark insinuating we don't know our business kinda rankled me.

But the silence is deafening, yes?

CarolPR

Hello:

You asked about what happens to books that are returned from the bookstores. Those go into the inventory that Advantage Books keeps and can be resold from there.

If you are asking about royalties on books that are returned, I'll have to find out how that is handled. I do know that at the publishers that I worked for previously, the author's royalties were figured based on the number of books actually sold--and that included subtracting the number of books that were returned by the bookstore. And I do apologize for offending any of you by my apparently condescending comments. Actually, I'm impressed with your comments. That's why I took the time to try to answer questions when I saw Callalily61 asking about Advantage Books. I'll ask the publisher about returns for you and get back to the forum tomorrow. Okay?

CarolPR

Hello again.

Actually, I've never heard of those other people and publishers that you've been mentioning. And I was not aware that what I wrote sounded like their terminology. Wow. Sounds creepy.
Have you ever heard of Pat Williams, of the NBA team, the Orlando Magic? He's one of our authors.

CarolPR

Hello:
I see that I missed another question. "how are you getting authors read?" Actually, we do that by helping create interest in your book in the media. I write news releases about your book, and you, find the newsworthy angles, and send the releases to a targeted list of media people--those most likely to be interested in you and your topic, based on conversations that we have before your book is released. Then I call these media people, and attempt to get interviews for you, and to facilitate appearances. I say 'attempt' because I cannot guarantee how many interviews you will get--that is based on a) the newsworthy factor of your book and b) my ability to connect with that news person. But I also have 13 years of broadcast experience, and I work well with the media, since I understand what they need for a story, and try to get that for them on your behalf.

CarolPR

Hello: I also see that you're asking about the price not being on the back of the book. I don't know...I'll ask about that, too. But please tell me why it's important for you to have the price on the book. The other publishers that I've worked for over the years didn't have the price on the back of the books, either. There's an ISBN and a bar code only. Just curious why this is a problem for you...

CarolPR

Hello:

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you, that time will tell the story of Advantage Books, and our author's successes. I also appreciate the question about how our website does or does not promote the author. I'll have to take a look at that, and be sure that the website works as hard as it can on your behalf.

Chacounne

Price on the Book Cover

" But please tell me why it's important for you to
have the price on the book. The other publishers
that I've worked for over the years didn't have the
price on the back of the books, either. There's an
ISBN and a bar code only. Just curious why this is a
problem for you..."

Because the small press department of Barnes & Noble requires that the price of the book be printed on the cover, not just embedded in the bar code, in order to stock said book.

Chacounne

CaoPaux

As previously mentioned, B&N will not stock books that don’t have the price on the cover, whether they’re returnable or not. Therefore you are denying your authors access to one of the largest chains of bookstores. Similarly, most stores refuse to stock books that are not returnable.

As for reviews….local media coverage is all well and good, but if you don’t get your books reviewed by PW, etc., the stores won’t be interested in the book. And what good is a review in the paper if the reader can't find the book in the store?

arainsb123

In addition, the book Ten Percent of Nothing chronicles the rise and fall of joint venture publishing in addition to Dorothy Deering's career.

CarolPR

Hello:

Thanks for the note about Barnes & Noble not stocking the book unless the price is on the back. I will address that with our publisher.

Is this simply a problem with this chain that you know of, and only in the 'small press department'?

CarolPR

Hey, thanks for the suggested reading. You are a wonderful resource of information. I don't want to promise something that we can't deliver.

NomadPress

No. B&N has made it a requirement for all publishers. It's standard practice to print the price on the back of the book. It's also standard to print the category on the upper left corner of the back for stocking purposes.

kelleyj34

Advantage Books Publishing Altmonte Springs FL?

Hello! I am contemplating working with a Publisher by the name of Advantage Books from Altmonte Springs, FL. I have checked the Better Business Bureau and there are NO negative remarks for this Publisher. I have talked with the owner many times and I feel that they are trustworthy. The fee to have my book printed is $1,700 and that includes placing it on many websites, including Advantage Books website. I am very confused about what to do and am hoping someone can help me!! If you or anyone you know has ever dealt with this Publisher, could you please give me your advice?! I sure would appreciate it!! You can reach me direct at [email protected] Thanks!!

Elizabeth George's book Write Away