• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Adrian Streather, supposed agent

Duncan J Macdonald

Dave's P&E has a very negative comment, and AR&E doesn't list him at all. From his website, it appears that he's a sports car enthusiast first, second, and third; only does Agency Stuff because he's had some Porsche specific books published, and believes that he can do that too.

He's an Australian ex-Pat, living in Switzerland. How he'd do in a business that relies almost as much on knoshes over coffee as it does on letters and e-mail, I couldn't hazard a guess.

Well, I could, but it wouldn't be Politically Correct.

Or physically possible for a normally configured human being.

Although I suspect that Penelope Urbain could manage it.

R/
Duncan

HapiSofi

Thank you, Duncan. I am enlightened, and am doing my best to not think about the rest.

Duncan J Macdonald

I am enlightened, and am doing my best to not think about the rest.

Your training is not yet compleat, Young Jedi.
Feel the Power of the Dark Side ...

<sfx> mechanical breathing </sfx>

R/
Duncan

vstrauss

Mr. Streather set himself up as an agent with no previous professional publishing or agenting experience (a problem--relevant experience is a must if an agent is going to be successful). As far as I know, all the book placements he claims on his website are with PublishAmerica.

I heard from two clients who were browbeaten and pressured by Mr. Streather when they turned down an offer of a PublishAmerica contract--among other things, he told them that as first-time writers they were unlikely to do better. Both say that he not only terminated his agreement with them when they refused to sign the contract, he then tried to charge them more than $1,000 for "expenses".

As of last October, he was also charging a reading fee of $150.

- Victoria

MacAl Stone

Woof!

not only terminated his agreement with them when they refused to sign the contract, he then tried to charge them more than $1,000 for "expenses".

As of last October, he was also charging a reading fee of $150.

Gotta keep up with those Porsche payments, somehow, I reckon.:rolleyes

Luckless

Did Adrian Streather approach you about representing you? He no longer advertises literary agent services on his website. Is he looking for clients on the sly? I notice he has strong warnings against him on the internet. Give him a very wide berth.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Duncan J Macdonald said:
He's an Australian ex-Pat, living in Switzerland. How he'd do in a business that relies almost as much on knoshes over coffee as it does on letters and e-mail, I couldn't hazard a guess.

Is a 'knosh' anything like a knish? A nosh? A klatsch?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
Is a 'knosh' anything like a knish? A nosh? A klatsch?
Knishes and Gnocchi are a gnarly nosh! :D