Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Um... That is a word. You may be more accustomed to seeing it's cousin 'remorselessly' but lack of familiarity does not make a word incorrect.

Instead of 'in a manner lacking remorse', which is what 'remorselessly' means, 'remorsely' means 'in a manner of remorse' or 'in a manner of self-reproach, pity, or compassion', to further define it.

In other words, despite the fact that I am logical, I sometimes feel guilt, compassion, or pity when I'm using that logic against another. I am remorsely logical. Others have told me so and I adopted the phrase as my user title because it was not only apt but also because I liked it.
Are you sure you don't mean 'remorsefully'? Dictionary.com says "No results found for 'remorsely'."

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Ah, I see. That wouldn't be the 'forum title.' That would be the 'custom user title.' Please feel free to check your User Control Panel for details.

Well, perhaps next time you will choose your words with particular care in order to ascertain that others understand exactly what you're saying.
I do apologize for the confusion, but on many forums the same thing is referred to as 'user's forum title'. I failed to check which term this particular forum software uses, but it didn't seem worth the effort for a throwaway joke.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear. I guess this means we have to give away "the secret" in the pitch. I hate that!

Yeah, I'm not giving away the big secret with so many eyes on a place like this. I'll hint at it, but it won't be the exact pitch I'd give :D

I just can't do it; the idea is probably better than my writing of it ;)!!

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't mean 'remorsefully'? Dictionary.com says "No results found for 'remorsely'."

No. I mean remorsely, as I'm not "full of" remorse either. Suffixes can be combined with root words in unfamiliar ways and still be real words, whether or not they've completely made their way into the dictionary.

Remorsely is what I was labeled by others and remorsely is what I am.

Why does this bother you so?

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
No. I mean remorsely, as I'm not "full of" remorse either. Suffixes can be combined with root words in unfamiliar ways and still be real words, whether or not they've completely made their way into the dictionary.

Remorsely is what I was labeled by others and remorsely is what I am.

Why does this bother you so?
It doesn't really bother me. I at first thought it was funny, and now I'm kind of baffled since "remorsely" still strikes me as an obviously incorrect formation which I would edit out of any manuscript I found it in. But your title belongs to you, if you like the word and feel it's correct enough, I don't see any reason to worry about it. I'll consider the topic closed.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Moving on to a more interesting topic: I looked through my list of story ideas to see which one I wanted to submit. To my frustration, the ideas that seemed the most interesting to write made for long awkward summaries, while the ideas that seemed boring mad for short energetic pitches. Anyone else notice something like this?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You've probably put more thought into the "interesting" ones, so it seems like you need to tell more of what's interesting.

The "boring" ones, you can probably dash off in a few words because you haven't spent as much time adding depth to an idea you don't find worthwhile.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Cyia, I think you may be right, or at least partly right - the less developed ideas are easier to present in a few sentences. I think there are two other factors: I'm less interested in ideas where I've already figured out how the plot is going to go, and I'm less interested in 'normal' ideas, but my favorite unusual ideas sound unsellably bizarre and audience-less when condensed to a few sentences. :Shrug:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I just realized which pitch I'm going to use. Awesome :)

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I've got it. I think. Now it's going to sit on the hard-drive until tomorrow night.

btw, Slushie liked "Remorsely Logical"; it was perfect. Kinda intimidating with a dash of empathy. And invented words are awesomesaucer. :D Too bad.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've got it. I think. Now it's going to sit on the hard-drive until tomorrow night.

btw, Slushie liked "Remorsely Logical"; it was perfect. Kinda intimidating with a dash of empathy. And invented words are awesomesaucer. :D Too bad.

Referring to one's self in the 3rd person is a scientifically proven indicator of mental illness... Bones says so.

But, Bones ran out of awesomesauce, so you get a free pass/

:tongue

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Are these going to be posted where everyone can see, or is it like in a password protected area like the SYW area? I know ideas are a dime a dozen and what not, but in the off chance that I ever did get published with the idea, I don't necessarily want to make it that easy to figure out who I am, either. I'm weird, I know. Just wondering.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Under this logic, I am now declaring 'identicalness' a word in my current WIP. :D

*contemplates contest*

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Will you let us know if you received our entry and also, I think I goofed up and presented mmine wrong because I did not pretend to be in an elevator, I just gave you my pitch. :( Will that be acceptable?

kid

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
In other words, despite the fact that I am logical, I sometimes feel guilt, compassion, or pity when I'm using that logic against another.

"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity."

"But I know none, therefore I am no beast."

--Richard III (Shakespeare)

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Will you let us know if you received our entry and also, I think I goofed up and presented my wrong because I did not pretend to be in an elevator, I just gave you my pitch. :( Will that be acceptable?

kid
I'm pretty sure 'elevator pitch' just means short pitch. Like one you could give to an agent in the time it takes an elevator to go a couple of floors. ;)

If we actually have to pretend we're in an elevator, I'm going to pretend I'm in one plunging out of control from the 50th floor. My pitch will be very short and include lots of screaming. :D

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Are these going to be posted where everyone can see, or is it like in a password protected area like the SYW area? I know ideas are a dime a dozen and what not, but in the off chance that I ever did get published with the idea, I don't necessarily want to make it that easy to figure out who I am, either. I'm weird, I know. Just wondering.

The last contest was in the novels forum.

The last contest the entries were posted in the password protected area of Mentors and Beta Readers. I'll ask KatieMac if she'll loan me part of her forum again.

Will you let us know if you received our entry and also, I think I goofed up and presented mmine wrong because I did not pretend to be in an elevator, I just gave you my pitch. :( Will that be acceptable?

kid

I've been letting the e-mailed ones know they were received, but honestly, I've gotten most of them through PM and haven't acknowledged them, figuring AW was more trustworthy than e-mail, but I can go back through and do so. Just a note, expect all future acknowledgments in the North American evening, even if I'm logged in tomorrow and Wednesday. My attention for AW is hit and miss during the day.

I'm pretty sure 'elevator pitch' just means short pitch. Like one you could give to an agent in the time it takes an elevator to go a couple of floors. ;)

If we actually have to pretend we're in an elevator, I'm going to pretend I'm in one plunging out of control from the 50th floor. My pitch will be very short and include lots of screaming. :D

What Chasing the Horizon said.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. I just saw that thread. Waiting for permission to respond from the mod who locked it. While I'm waiting, though, let me assure everyone here, I have enough ideas of my own queued up; I don't need yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.