A NOVEL CONTEST: The Elevator Pitch

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've got enough of your completed ideas in my editing folder, thank you very much.

Oh Noes! She's stockpiling them!!!

Well, I'm tellin' you right now sneaky mod lady... I mailed that totally original pitch to myself... and I'll post it on my blog... and .... and... well, you just better not even think about writing anything with characters like mine or a story like mine.

If I see something else with people in it... or that's YA... or involves places... you're in trouble!!!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
LOL. I just saw that thread. Waiting for permission to respond from the mod who locked it. While I'm waiting, though, let me assure everyone here, I have enough ideas of my own queued up; I don't need yours.

:roll:

You made me go and look for that locked thread! What a hoot!

Sage

Hero/Villain/Angel/Demon
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I've actually had that offer.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
You have a sash? I never imagined you would have a sash. A belt maybe, with a big heavy buckle for whacking, but never a sash. I'm going to have adjust my thinking.

Where else do you put your merit badges for display? I suppose I could stick them to corkboard and put them in a picture frame. That idea is actually much more me.

Sage

Hero/Villain/Angel/Demon
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Are you getting lots of entries?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes. I don't have a precise count but there's a little over 20 in my PM box, plus the ones I've received by e-mail and about 32 hours still left in the entry phase. There's usually a rush near the deadline.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
VPX
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
You want an idea?

"It's like a cross between The Lost Symbol and I Am Ozzie...in space!"

(Quite seriously, there's a guy out there who's selling, for money, as the secret for how to make a pitch that agents can't resist and that leads to six-figure novel advances, use this formula: "It's like a cross between name-of-bestseller one and name-of-bestseller two, in different location." And ... oops! Now I've told you for free.)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't actually read all of them. Bad me, I know, but I do have one that made me laugh out loud and one that made me go, "Ooo."

I, however, can tell no more than that, as I can't taint the voting.

Also, in an hour or so, I'll be updating the prize list.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
You want an idea?

(Quite seriously, there's a guy out there who's selling, for money, as the secret for how to make a pitch that agents can't resist and that leads to six-figure novel advances, use this formula: "It's like a cross between name-of-bestseller one and name-of-bestseller two, in different location." And ... oops! Now I've told you for free.)

Brilliant! I actually used that formula in my EP! That means I'll get a 6 figure advance for my pitch!

(Seriously, though, isn't this an old old formula? More than ten years ago my agent used to speak of the soandso meets soandso pitch.)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You want an idea?

That was the kinda thing I was going for ( because it encapsulates the book v quick and succinct), but the examples linked earlier in the thread all seemed a different style; like a very short query.

Is either acceptable? Or should I use that as a jumping off point? *dithers*

ETA: *adds 'With Sex!'* to pitch. That'll work, right? :D

Last edited:

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's like a cross between A Clockwork Orange and Now We Are Six... underneath the sheep abbatoir that once stood where the UN building is now.

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Titanic, in space. The captain didn't see the asteroid until it was too late.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I have a great idea for a novel!

You write it and we'll split the money.

Me too! Only my idea is better, and I'm willing to give you 51%. Only you'll have to sign a non-disclosure agreement first so I know I can trust you.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com

I do have one novel that I pitch as, "Oliver Twist becomes Spider-man and fights Godzilla".

That's a bit too many pop-culture references, but it fits so well I keep using the line. Not in any serious query, however. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Book