A NOVEL CONTEST: The Elevator Pitch

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Well since everyone else is doin it... I was number 20. I really should have used an extra line or two and made my more clear.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
First congrats to HistorySleuth.

And thank you to whoever it was that voted for my entry. And thank you to everyone else who left a crit. It was helpful.

I'll take responsibility for #50. You know, the zany insane one about wannabe big game hunters and secret societies. It's just an idea I'm playing with right now. A loose present day retelling of battles that went on during the time of the Civil War in my settling, believe it or not.

I'm just far enough into this thing to be asking myself if the idea is just too stupid to go on with. The comments were very helpful in that regard. I pretty much knew that the pitch wasn't at fighting weight, the comment that threw me was the Douglas Adams thing. I suppose I've probably read him, but I sure as heck can't remember. So it's not a conscious attempt at imitation.

Thanks again folks.

wheelwriter

Not a runner, running.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I voted for you the addster. It stood out to me as different and potentially funny. (Although I snicker when car commercials boast about "super duty.") I didn't get Douglas Adams from it, since I associate him with zany space stories (Hitchhiker's Guide). I think there might be a place in the universe for an insane story about Big Dick and company. Good luck.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Ahhh, Hitchhiker's Guide, duh. I'd meant to Google that all day. I read that in high school, by candlelight, back before electricity.

Yeah, I laugh at super duty too. I don't think folks are silly enough as a rule.

Thanks.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
One of these days I'm going to actually have to read Hitchhiker's Guide, because I forced myself to sit through the movie at the drive-in so I could see the second feature. All a matter of personal taste I suppose.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of my all-time favorite books. I could read it a million times and not get tired of it. I wish Adams had liked writing more.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of these days I'm going to actually have to read Hitchhiker's Guide, because I forced myself to sit through the movie at the drive-in so I could see the second feature. All a matter of personal taste I suppose.
I couldn't get through the movie but my brother has been trying to convince me to read the book for a long time. One of these days :rolleyes:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Douglas Adams is one of the biggest influences on my writing. The Hitchhiker books are short, fun and easy to read, so it's not too much of an investment to check out the first one. If you like it, you'll pretty much like the rest of them.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
Voting is now over...so I'll go ahead and admit that I'm the infamous #28/gay werewolf pitcher. Oh, man, reading the critiques made me want to both cringe and squee. :)

Aquarius, your pitch was my second choice. That was the pitch that I thought was clear, crisp, and perfect, but it was a story that I wasn't interested in reading.

I voted for #21 -- a story that sounded interesting and one that I'd like to read, although I thought the pitch was a bit scattered and needed some work.

My pitch? #14, with Eli trying to find One Reason To Live (which is also the title). It's such a complex tale, I'm going to have to spend more time thinking about how to distill it into just a few sentences without confusing people.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Mine was #45--the comments were pretty much what I expected (heck, before I found all the pitches I knew from the comments which was mine). As soon as I finish the synopsis (hopefully this week), I'll be submitting the book to agents.

Last edited:

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm certainly not going to tell people that mine was #11.

:D

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
So my 'Hiroshima Mon Amour meets Robot Monster' pitch probably wouldn't work for you, I suppose.

;)

I recently watched both of those films again, and as scary as it might seem, an amalgamation might not be as far fetched as one might think. Both are about the horrors and the lingering aftereffects of war, sort of. Suppose before virtually depopulating the Earth, Ro-Man had scouted out the terrain and come into contact with an Earth-Girl. Their unexpected romance made him unsure about the mission upon which he was sent until one of his superiors zapped the girl from outer space. Now that only a few humans remain, he falls in love with the last woman alive, revealing all this back story to her in between killing off the other survivors and playing with his bubble machine. I think it might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Book