Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornelius Gault

New writer since 07/2012.
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I have never done a contest, but I have an idea for one:

1. The contest begins with a basic plot/rules.

2. Everyone has a week to write 1,000 words (or whatever size), following the plot/rules given.

3. All results are posted and someone (or everyone) votes on the results. If possible, the results could be posted in secret, but I would rather read everyone's attempts.

I don't know how to accomplish a contest like this (the voting, mainly), but I think it could be interesting.

susanielson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new, but a contest sounds like just the thing! I work better when I have a dead line and a reason to keep my words moving forward. When a contest takes place here, how do we know? Will it be announced on the main page or through a thread, and one more thing...are contests open to everyone, even newbies like me?

Thanks for any info!!

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Who will delete my account?
My honest advice is to just chill for a bit, then return to AW and read, discuss, and post about what you're interested in, like we all do.

I don't see any reason to even change your handle. Most of us who post here have produced embarrassing little displays of human imperfection at some time or other. Personally, I've been banned, twice. Check out my posting history, and I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding instances of me being an ass (either bloviating on a subject I don't understand, or just being rude; or possibly drunk). Yet, I'm tolerated.

Hey -- why don't you try this contest, once the ball gets rolling? They've certainly been fun in the past.

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a few of us in Flash Fiction, over here, if you want to join in the weekly challenge? You can use a points system between yourselves if you'd like.

Princess Marina

Princess Marina
Registered
Reaction score
well it doesn't usually take long for Mac to decide if something is a good idea or not. I like the sound of Cornelius Gault's idea but whether as a contest or just for our enjoyment, doesn't bother me. But if I get a few days notice, I'll write 1000 words, should we pick a subject or list of subjects?

Cornelius Gault

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
well it doesn't usually take long for Mac to decide if something is a good idea or not. I like the sound of Cornelius Gault's idea but whether as a contest or just for our enjoyment, doesn't bother me. But if I get a few days notice, I'll write 1000 words, should we pick a subject or list of subjects?
I don't have a preference if it is a contest or just for fun, as long as it is a little more than another "add 3 words to the story" game (not that there's anything wrong with that). However, I was thinking of something that would allow people to learn how to use some of the principles learned on AW. Perhaps it would require a little thinking or studying (not trying to discourage anyone).

The reason I think a contest format might work is that I would want the story to progress with each "contest" being an end-point of a certain goal. For instance, the first contest would be coming up with a good plot. The second might be determining time period, type of world, etc.

I don't know the logistics of such a contest, but it would be great to have a way to post the results without everyone seeing every single comment that led up to the decision (I don't know if Private Messages would be the best idea here).

Those are my notes for now. Please comment, unless someone else has better ideas.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But if I get a few days notice, I'll write 1000 words, should we pick a subject or list of subjects?

We could use the prompts in the Flash Fiction weekly challenge, where we'd have a week to use the prompt given and write a piece on that. Then we could create a thread where we post which story we liked most in that week?

There may be an option to add a actual poll but I don't know how that works, one of you may enlighten me!

As for prizes....?

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooo, another contest! Yes please! *rubs hands and waits with bated breath for Mac's permission*

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my best stories was written for an AW contest. I love them and participate whenever I can. The only bad part is the "you must vote to be eligible to win." The western contest had 40 entries, and they were all good. I have respect for editors and agents who get hundreds in a week and not only have to decide which ones they like, but are entrusted with their company's finances in investing in them.

I might have to sit this one out due to pending commitments (plus WIPs!) but I look forward to seeing what happens.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I think it's a great idea, but I'm unfortunately buried w/ family commitments in meatspace, right now -- but I think y'all should TOTALLY do a 4th of July challenge, even if it's just for fun.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Yep - How's this sound:

Up to 1500 words

"Fireworks" is the theme -- can be real or metaphorical

Do you guys want to post 'em yourselves for discussion, or PM 'em to me to be posted anonymously?

Jaims22

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in, and I will do either way. I don't mind posting under my own name.

jeracoo

Registered
Reaction score
Love contests, I usually participate in music contests on newgrounds, have never tried a writing contest before.

Cornelius Gault

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I like McAllister's idea. I suggest a new thread with an appropriate title and posting the entries to it in a format like "FIREWORKS ENTRY: The Time Has Come". People can see everyone's entries, but I would recommend not making comments (to prevent having too many responses that would overwhelm the actual contest entries).

Contest Rules:

1. If there is a particular genre (or ANY), it should be indicated in the "contest rule" and also by the submitter.

2. The due date should be posted in the rules.

3. Perhaps a little "twist" could be added other than only a topic, but that is IMHO.

Are there enough opinions yet to start a contest? I'm in, but it is only 1 1/2 weeks until the Fourth. Perhaps July the 15th or 31st?

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I'd vote for anonymous, only because otherwise I'm not sure how many votes people stand to get based on relationships here.....

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
I think i would recommend the anonymous post have them all sent to 1 person and that person post each as a separate thread in a sub forum.

this will force people to read and comment on each post then a poll can be setup for the full list we could set up a "play off" format.

group 1
group 2
group 3
group 4

perhaps rank the members by #post. then use a standard round robin format to assign groups. each group then has a 1st and 2nd place. the final 8 get voted on for 1st and 2nd place the remaining get honorable mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.