• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

8 Ball Literary Talent Agency

Orion Rising

After reading a short synopsis of mine, this agency wants me to send in the first 50 pages of my novel. I can't find out anything about them... can anyone out there help me? Are these guys legit?

Thanks in advance,

Orion

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...could only find them (so far) on Writers.net, and I think that's not necessarily a good sign (since I don't think Writers.net vets those who post as agents, etc.):

http://www.writers.net/agents/topic/23/

This would make me very nervous. I would pass, but others may have more information.

Good luck!

~Nancy

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I agree: a listing on WN does not an agent make. Throw in freebie email, and it's one to avoid, IMHO.

Orion Rising

CaoPaux said:
I agree: a listing on WN does not an agent make. Throw in freebie email, and it's one to avoid, IMHO.

Mr. David Grant says they're a new (January '06) agency looking for 'edgy' writers. I dunno. What harm would it do to send him a full synopsis and my first 50 pages? Could he possibly steal my idea and sell it?

Orion

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Orion Rising said:
Mr. David Grant says they're a new (January '06) agency looking for 'edgy' writers. I dunno. What harm would it do to send him a full synopsis and my first 50 pages? Could he possibly steal my idea and sell it?

Orion
New agent should not equal inexperieced. What's his background? Successful agents were first editors and/or agents with other firms before hanging their own shingle.

As for stealing ideas for resale...agents sell books, not ideas. If Mr. Grant could write a publishable book from just a synopsis-plus-50, then he wouldn't need to be an agent. Seriously.

Orion Rising

CaoPaux said:
New agent should not equal inexperieced. What's his background? Successful agents were first editors and/or agents with other firms before hanging their own shingle.

As for stealing ideas for resale...agents sell books, not ideas. If Mr. Grant could write a publishable book from just a synopsis-plus-50, then he wouldn't need to be an agent. Seriously.

So then would it be prudent to say that the danger lies not necessarily with sending them my material, but instead by signing a contract with them?

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The danger lies in signing with ANY agent you know nothing about. Find out what books he's sold, to whom, and when, and when you have plenty of information, make a decision. There are lots of agents and publishers out there. Start at the top.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
It's not enough for an agent to have no known sins to his or her credit. It is necessary to have sales. If the agent doesn't have a bunch of legitimate sales, don't use them.

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
Methinks Hapi is not being 'far' (I realize there's no such thing in this business). Even Donald Maass and Noah Lukeman were without credits at one time. I think, with a new agent and no sales, you have to find out if they have actual publishing/agenting experience. If they've worked with the right people, it would be ok to go with that new person. Take a chance.

David

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Dhewco said:
Methinks Hapi is not being 'fair' (I realize there's no such thing in this business). Even Donald Maass and Noah Lukeman were without credits at one time.

I disagree. I'm not HapiSofi, so I can't speak for him/her, but I do know that many agents first serve an apprenticeship with larger agencies before setting up shop for themselves. That way, these "new" agents start off with a proven track record.

It's the ones who set up shop without any previous experience that you have to worry about.

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
You must have missed the part about 'worked with the right people'. Some agents were once editors, some were from other areas of the publishing field, and some started out as readers in agents' offices.

The point is, there has to be a first sale, to get a track record.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Dhewco said:
You must have missed the part about 'worked with the right people'.

No, I didn't "miss that part." I concentrated on your statement that HapiSofi was not being fair. I don't think he/she was being unfair.

Why? For one thing, speaking generally, if the new agent is part of a larger agency, they share in the reputation for making sales. If you see a new agent with no past track record, and no sales on their own, you might to wait until they prove themselves. Depends on how much of a risk you want to take. The point is that a lack of scam accusations is not the only reason to avoid an agent. Lack of sales is another, very good reason.

Marlowe

Duck of Death
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmovieplanet.com
Sorry for the thread bump, but has there been any more word on this group? I still can't find anything via Google, which doesn't give me the highest expectations.