• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

50/50 Press

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.5050press.com/

Discovered them on Twitter. They look very new. The first cover reveal is in a few days. Doesn't look like they have a whole lot of experience in the publishing industry.

Looks like a wait and see.

fornickels

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting.
They seem to have a small good stable of authors. I'll be interested to hear other people's thoughts and see how they do over time.

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
From the 50/50 (5050 - it's written both ways) submissions page:

We pay authors 20% royalties on all books published with us, excluding our biannual short story anthologies. All of our titles are available in both print-on-demand and eBook form.

Only 20% royalties for ebooks? Ouch.

Some red flags:

• So genre focus whatsoever.
  • No practical experience as publishers or commercial editors among the two principals. (Self-publishing only. One book is still available on Wattpad.)
  • "focused on creating personal relationships between authors and readers." (Typically translates to author does all the marketing.)
  • "If your book is chosen to become part of the 50/50 family . . ." (The family thing. Again.)
  • ". . . we will work with you throughout the entire publishing process-- from suggested edits to marketing ideas." (Marketing ideas.)
  • Usual rhetoric about authors getting lost in the shuffle at bigger publishing houses, working with authors to help them achieve their vision/dreams.

If they're still around in a few years and have some breakout sellers, then I would take a second look. Otherwise, I see no advantage over other more established small presses or self-publishing, and several severe disadvantages. I think I got an actual blister from that 20% royalties for ebooks thing.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Only 20% royalties for ebooks? Ouch.

fwiw, I posted a question on their blog, asking if the royalties were on net or cover price.

ETA: They deleted my question without answering it. (Or maybe the question vanished when they turned off comments for that post.) I've emailed them with the same question, because it makes a difference on what those royalties are based on.

ETA2: Ah, they've updated the blog post itself with "Royalties are based on profits an author receives from sales." So their royalties are average at best for print and lower than average for e-books. They also have not defined what they mean by "profits an author receives."

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Okay, I emailed the publisher to find out how they calculate "after profits." Their answer was:

Our royalties are based 20% of of net for printed books, which we define as after printing cost. For Ebooks it is 20% off of gross which we define as list price. We like to keep it rather simple. I hope that answers your question.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
From the blog:
>As explained by this Writers’ Services article, “"Hardback royalties on the published price of trade books usually range from 10% to 12.5%, with 15% for more important authors. On paperback it is usually 7.5% to 10%, going up to 12.5% only in exceptional cases.”

We pay higher royalties because we value authors’ work.<

Well, if they are paying 20% on net the Author will be lucky to get 10% of book price, so no they don't pay higher royalties then other publishers because they value writers and they pay lower then most publishers on their ebooks.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving