• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

3L Publishing

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
This is a company local to me. I’ve visited their website and attended one of their meetup group meetings (Writers Who Mean Business). http://www.3lpublishing.com

Their prices seem steep. Prices for their “premier” publishing packages are not listed. Prices for their self-publishing packages start at $1,499. Prices for editing begin at $999. When I looked into their titles on amazon, I found spelling and grammatical errors on the first pages. There is a grammatical error in the owner’s bio, which also doesn’t instill confidence.

Their price for e-book conversion is $500. I paid $35 to LK Campbell to format my book into multiple e-book formats (and she did a lovely job!).

They offer “book coaching” services, but in addition to the errors in their published books, sales rankings for their books on amazon seem very low--in the millions for the ones I looked at. I could not find any fiction publishing credits for the owner except for a screenplay produced on Showtime in 1995, her self-published book, and titles published under her company’s imprint. The other partner involved in her company has also worked in the television industry, with no fiction publishing credits I could find except for his novel published through 3L.

Upon looking into an award for which one of their authors achieved a finalist ranking (Indie Excellence Award), I could find no list of judges. Ostensibly, this was to protect the judges’ privacy. There are over 100 categories listed on the award website, a $69 entrance fee, and you can purchase a certificate and stickers if you win.

At the meeting, the owner claimed extensive experience with editors and publishers. She insisted that I needed a “logline” for my novelette/novella, when the publishers I’m targeting specifically ask you not to send any sort of summary. When I explained, she told me that I was now “arguing with a publisher.” When presented with word counts, she asked that these be converted to page counts for her reference. She claimed that if you did not earn out your advance with a trade publisher, they would require that you pay it back.

The owner may have the best intentions in the world, but I found the information she gave misleading.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Looks like a vanity publisher to me (based on the pay to play).

(And :gaah, that old chestnut about having to pay back your advance if you don't earn out. NO. NO NO NO NO. Bad vanity publisher! No biscuit!)

Last edited:

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
That's a great resource, amergina. I'm all for transparency. My husband thinks that if people decide to use the services of a publisher that doesn't fit their needs, it's on them for not doing enough research, but it certainly can't hurt to make that research easier to find.

Last edited:

Krampus Nacht

Krampus