• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

21st Street Publishing Group, LLC

NiccoleSimmons

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, all of our titles are hard copies and are for sale other than The Self Publishing Guide... I wasn't aware that having a company that provides different things was a conflict or that you were the entity that governed such conduct.
LindaJeanne and AliceShortcake- I enjoyed our interaction and thank you for the opportunity to answer your questions and hope you have accepted my apology for the first response. I think it is terrific you guys use this forum the way it was intended.
If anyone else has legitimate comments or questions, I'd be happy to address those as well. I can also be reached via email at [email protected]
Have a great weekend everyone.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Actually, all of our titles are hard copies and are for sale other than The Self Publishing Guide... I wasn't aware that having a company that provides different things was a conflict or that you were the entity that governed such conduct.
Heh, no, I'm far from being a governing authority, but I am one who adheres to a certain standard because that's what commercial presses do.

I could find none of your hard copies on Amazon except the one I mentioned upstream. All other titles are listed as e-book only.

Since you are a "traditional publisher," may I ask who distributes your books?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
aliceshortcake, "It has went through" is perfectly grammatical African American Vernacular English. The other errors you point to are errors in every usage community, but that one isn't an error in that usage.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Empress, I have to disagree. I'm an old fart, white, anal-retentive, grammar thug, and I'm also a professional copyeditor with a wide variety of experience in many kinds of books over the past 27 years.

"It has went through editing" is "correct vernacular African American English"? Oh, no. It's a careless speech pattern retained to appear "cool" and "street" and IMO should never appear in professional speech.

A character who talks like that is an entirely different thing.

But, IMO, an editing professional responding to the part of the OP quoting the many, many errors in the purchased book that was edited by 21st Street should automatically respond in grammatically correct English.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago, we had an editor that did not perform up to our standards and she is no longer employed by us. Other than that, we have never had any issues to address.

I would expect that an expensive editing service would re-edit a client's book at the service's own cost if the original edit was substandard.

"Diamond Lives, Platinum Lies" by Vonda Howard is listed on the 21st St page as one that their editing team worked on. From Amazon's "look inside" feature, page 1:
"What the hell are you doing you crazy bitch?" The female voice from behind her asked.

"Simone, come on, he's not even worth it, let's go." Simone's sister, Peaches said.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
That sounded rather unprofessional.

I mean, really? We're going to act like a kid and say, "Who made you boss?"

From what I've read in this thread, you don't come across as professional. You accuse the TC of being someone she's not. The snippets posted in this thread from the books you've edited makes me not want to go to your services.

I question your professionalism, obviously. I don't think you know what you're doing, either.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
To sum up: what we have here is a company which offers "traditional" publishing, self-publishing services, and editing services, all under one name: there are several clear conflicts of interests right there.

The books are apparently available in print and electronic editions but Priceless1 (who knows what she's doing when it comes to using Bookscan) can't find the print editions.

The editing of some of the books is appalling. Not slapdash, not poor, but consistently appalling. I understand that the publisher uses African American vernacular: but that does not override the need for appropriate punctuation, spelling, and grammar.

And the company is run by someone who has demonstrated that she resorts to sneering and ad hominem attacks when reasonable questions are asked of her.

I wouldn't touch this company with a ten-foot pole.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you really don't understand why a publisher offering a self-publishing service is a conflict of interest, search: Penguin+Book+Country.

Or just let me Google that for you. ;)

A conflict of interest happens whenever you take on two roles which have competing interests. Like editing (get as money from author and pay editor) and publishing (get money from reader and pay author and editor).

That is not to say this is uncommon, or cannot be ethically managed and made acceptable. But it is what it is.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Subsidiary Pucci Publications is gone. Has added 21st Street Backroom Editing & Publishing for erotic works.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As of '20, dba 21st Street Publishing Group, LLC.