2021 Hugo Awards--DisconIII in Washington DC, US.

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't the awards committee just resign en masse? If you are there, please share the scoop.

• Wow
Reactions: kinokonoronin

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, another DC-area-based AWer and I had coffee on Friday, and we thought it would be cool to have some sort of AW get-together for anyone who is planning to attend DisConIII in December.

Who's coming? December 15 to 19, 2021.

More info: https://discon3.org/

This isn't my genre so I won't be coughing up the registration fee, but depending on how many folks we have we can meet up at the venue and go somewhere off-site. The National Zoo is super close (and free), and they have an annual holiday display called ZooLights with light displays, food vendors and all sorts of cool stuff. The Adams Morgan neighborhood is also within 5 min walking distance, with plenty of eateries and bars we can go to.

Even if you don't care to meet up, but if you would like information on getting around DC please let me know. I love playing local tour guide!

Anyone interested?

Reactions: Ari Meermans

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
::raises hand::

I'm the other "DC-area-based AWer" and while I do write fantasy, I'm not sure my budget will allow me to actually attend. (I may stand outside the hotel and make hungry cat noises.) Like Chris P, though, I'd love to meet up with other AWers during the con, and am happy to provide recommendations about other Things To Do while you're visiting.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be there. I have duties at some fan tables and will be attending the Business Meeting but otherwise will be pretty available.

NOTE THAT WE MUST RE-RATIFY THE LODESTAR AWARD AT THE BUSINESS MEETING THIS YEAR OR IT WILL BE DISCONTINUED. Please come to the Business Meeting to vote to continue the Lodestar!

I'm currently reading Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse. Then on to The Relentless Moon.

They've asked Mary Robinette Kowal to be the new con chair (both the con chairs resigned as well) and I'm VERY happy about that. WSFS owes Mary Robinette a LOT.

Reactions: Chris P and mrsmig

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
As some of you may have noticed, I'm a bit of a Hugo Award nerd. I love and support the awards.

This year, due to several issues at Discon III, Nicolas Whyte who is a once and future Hugo Administrator and was the second Discon III WSFS Division Head (the area of the con responsible for the administration of the Hugo Awards). He also resigned and is now a plain old member of WSFS just as the rest of us voters are.

He's commented on the current Best Related Work finalists as both an Administrator and a Voter and the differences in his thoughts are very interesting to me.

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, another DC-area-based AWer and I had coffee on Friday, and we thought it would be cool to have some sort of AW get-together for anyone who is planning to attend DisConIII in December.

Who's coming? December 15 to 19, 2021.

More info: https://discon3.org/

This isn't my genre so I won't be coughing up the registration fee, but depending on how many folks we have we can meet up at the venue and go somewhere off-site. The National Zoo is super close (and free), and they have an annual holiday display called ZooLights with light displays, food vendors and all sorts of cool stuff. The Adams Morgan neighborhood is also within 5 min walking distance, with plenty of eateries and bars we can go to.

Even if you don't care to meet up, but if you would like information on getting around DC please let me know. I love playing local tour guide!

Anyone interested?
Post in the meetup sub forum in the Roundtable forum.

Black and white winter scene with evergreens in the snow, and a house