• We’re running on a new server at a new host with a new forum software called XenForo. Some things are different. Some things may not work as expected. I am working on it as fast as I can. Please be patient. Please read this post.
  • I'm going to be working on the forums for a while. Things may be wonky. I may turn the forums off without notice. Consider this a bit of a public beta test as we figure out the new software and make adjustments. But you've been much missed, and we can't wait to see you again!

2021-4 Storytelling - Pacing - Discussion Thread

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
No matter how right you get the scene or how perfect your dialogue or how rosy her lips, if you don't get the pacing right, your story will falter. Pacing is an essential part of telling a story. You want a story to flow easy like a lazy river or rushed like a raging torrent whichever fits your tale. The goal is to build the story. You want to dole out details and reveal characters in the most interesting way. That's what hooks 'em and keeps them coming back for more.

I was once told that a story should create a setting and then build tension until it feels like it's going to pop. Just when you feel like it can't get anymore, let just a little bit off and then start building again. Do this two or three times then... boom. For longer stories do the same thing, but keep whole cycles building up in the same way in relation to each other where plot points become bigger and bigger until you get a satisfying resolve for the story.

What do you think?

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
A quick note: this is especially critical for sex scenes. Just like the real thing, too fast is painful, too slow just isn't sexy. It's all about building desire and keeping it right on the edge of falling until you let your reader collapse in a heap.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed that it's especially important for sex scenes. What is smokin' hot if built up to properly, is just plumbing if you don't get the lead-up.