2020: It’s a rat race for sure

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rats besiege New York Chipotle, eating avocados and attacking staff

The Guardian said:
As columnist Mary Schmich once said, in life, there are certain inalienable truths: prices will rise, politicians will philander, and – I’m going to add one – you can always count on New York for a good old rat story.

Today that story is of the Upper Manhattan Chipotle food chain rats, who have been feasting on avocados and burritos – and, by the sounds of it – disturbed staff.

At first glance, it might sound like small potatoes compared to when the CDC had to warn against New York’s cannibal rats during the pandemic. Nor does it sound quite as frightful as the starved super rats so desperate to dine out that they threw themselves at horrified New Yorkers who were dining alfresco.

No, today’s rats have been running amok at Chipotle’s Upper West Side location – attacking employees, chewing through wiring systems, and causing the indefinite closure of the restaurant to the public.

“It’s pure chaos every time a rat appears,” employee Melvin Paulino told the New York Post – speaking of the brazen behavior of the rats. Although the restaurant is closed, staff are still regularly coming in to clean in an effort to help stave off the infestation. This includes some pretty serious survival tactics, including stomping rats and whacking them with broom handles.

I'm beginning to think a deranged AI is writing 2020's script.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Could you change the title of the thread please?

The Rat in the Chinese zodiac is a positive symbol of leadership, change, quick wit, etc.

However, the way "Year of the Rat" has been used here, has associated it with a negative article about rats and infestation. This is racist, bigoted, and maligns the Chinese culture and people: This association tells me that Chinese people who were born in the year of the Rat are an infestation to be eradicated; by extension, that means that all Chinese people don't deserve to live.

Thank you.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Done! Sorry, that was not my intent. :flag:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I keep feeling bad for the pigeons in NYC who aren't getting fed by little old ladies in the park or eating the various crumbs office workers drop, which always makes me wonder "well what about the rats? They eat that stuff, too" then I remember this article from April about how the rats are handling things.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I keep feeling bad for the pigeons in NYC who aren't getting fed by little old ladies in the park or eating the various crumbs office workers drop, which always makes me wonder "well what about the rats? They eat that stuff, too" then I remember this article from April about how the rats are handling things.

That's quite disturbing. I worry for the homeless, too. Though if they had a rat patrol they could eat well. I know rat is eaten in other countries, but to my knowledge it isn't consumed in the U.S.. It doesn't mean it couldn't be.

ETA:

Rats are, however, very dangerous. I had one in my house once. It was cornered and it leapt at my face. Luckily I had a broom and was able to knock it away from me. I'll never forget it, though. Scary.

Last edited: