Location Abomination Mortification

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
A few days ago I discovered--to my absolute horror--that what I had written as my location,"where the bugs are," actually had a link...which took me to a google map with adverts for pest control services.

WTF...How did this happen???? (Yeah, I know, it happened because I'm a dumbarse who still doesn't understand how the internet works. Doh.)

I adore bugs and have deleted it now, but hoping I didn't inadvertently provide the exterminators with any business...also hoping no one here clicked on it and thought I kill bugs for a living...

Holly's Helpful Hint for the Week is--you might wanna check to make sure you don't have a Location Abomination as well. If you do discover something unintended, or freaky, please report back, so we can be dumbarses together.:)

Also, the title of this thread bothers me. Did I stuff that up too? Should I change it to Mortification: Location Abomination? Or some other combination I haven't thought of yet?

Going down to the garden now to look at worms, because that always soothes me...

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I just clicked on mine (Far North Queensland) and I get a map with two obvious pins:

RSL Queensland -- Far Northern Division (RSL = Returned and Services League. It's an organisation for armed forces personnel.) It's in Cairns, which is the only city in FNQ, so points for that.

Mitchell Grass plains just west of Torrens Creek, in the arse end of nowhere, which is labelled North Queensland. Wikipedia helpfully describes North Queensland as:

North Queensland or the Northern Region is the northern part of the Australian state of Queensland that lies just south of Far North Queensland.

Could have pinned Townsville, which is an actual city, but no. West of Torrens Creek it is.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Serendipity! Could either of you tell me what the bug is that I have in my garden? It is not a ladybird, because that would be too wonderful. It looks like a ladybird but with an elongated headpart and it has four spots. And I can't find it exactly on the internets.

It eats zucchini leaves. Voraciously. I'm not going to kill it, obviously, but it is in fact a horde, and I'm wondering if I should discourage it. (Which I would do by saying discouraging things to it, not by hurting it.)

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how close it would pinpoint my location if I had GPS switched on? (Not about to go there.)

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
Could either of you tell me what the bug is that I have in my garden?
Might hand you over to Helix for that one. I'm more of a self-taught entomological sociologist than an actual expert.

(Which I would do by saying discouraging things to it, not by hurting it.)
You could try;

Bugs, bugs, go away,
Come again another day.

(No refund policy though if it doesn't work.)

Reactions: MaeZe

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
It eats zucchini leaves. Voraciously. I'm not going to kill it, obviously, but it is in fact a horde, and I'm wondering if I should discourage it. (Which I would do by saying discouraging things to it, not by hurting it.)

Is it this?

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want them to come again another day, though. I want them to go next door.
Bugs, bugs, fly next door,
And don't come back here anymore...?

I'd probably repeat that three times for good measure, but not within earshot of the neighbours, (and not just in case they soon become the proud owners of a beetle horde.)

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want them to come again another day, though. I want them to go next door.
Wait, I have it! Just send in your chooks. After they've eaten the pumpkin bugs, they can eat all your zucchini plants as well. There, I've saved you from two pests, you're welcome.

• Haha
Reactions: Snitchcat and SWest

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, I have it! Just send in your chooks. After they've eaten the pumpkin bugs, they can eat all your zucchini plants as well. There, I've saved you from two pests, you're welcome.
That's not a bad idea though. After I harvested the zucchini (can one harvest a single zucchini?) I will put Big Blue Chook in.

They'll just fly away, but if there's bug eggs, she'll prolly eat them. She eats everything else.

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
I will put Big Blue Chook in.
Aren't brightly coloured critters usually advertising their, "Eat me and die!" policy? Not suggesting your chooks are silly, just to clarify.

If I lived close enough I'd relocate them for you.

You could ask the Guerilla Gardener if he'd like some zucchini plants to go with the forget-me-nots...

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Mine takes me to a permanently closed gym in Bournemouth. Does google maps change the pin each day or something? Why a permanently closed gym? I would prefer it if google maps would link my profile to a noteworthy tourist attraction in Dorset such as the Cerne Abbas Giant.

Please note: I don't live in any kind of gym lol.

Also please note: don't google "Cerne Abbas Giant" if you are in glancing distance of puritans who are easily offended.

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
Does google maps change the pin each day or something?
Or for each click. I didn't see a gym, just a map of Dorset with directions, some nice pictures and even some about Dorset fun facts.

Also please note: don't google "Cerne Abbas Giant" if you are in glancing distance of puritans who are easily offended.
So yeah, I googled it. I saw it on the telly once, but now I've seen the unblurred version...

Reactions: neandermagnon

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get Google Maps when I click mine, with my town outlined. But because it goes to MY Google maps, it has all my local pins and I initially panicked everyone could see them. But I'm completely confident Google has my privacy and best interests well in mind, so I'm not worried.

Hey, that's what they told me to say.

Reactions: Holly Green

Thecla

Imagine a story
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realise the links were active and that google was scraping locations either!

If I click on mine, it takes me to a set of pins representing businesses somewhere in London. Not at all what - or where - I had in mind.

Reactions: Holly Green

Holly Green

Registered
Reaction score
I get Google Maps when I click mine, with my town outlined. But because it goes to MY Google maps, it has all my local pins and I initially panicked everyone could see them. But I'm completely confident Google has my privacy and best interests well in mind, so I'm not worried.

Hey, that's what they told me to say.
Looks like there are a lot of parks where you live. Nice. I got 4 pins for those. Also one for Freeman Store and Museum(?) and a highschool.

Reactions: Chris P