Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Wonderful pictures, everyone! All this talk about foxes reminded me that Mrs. Fox was sunning across the street a few weeks ago:

FoxNap.jpg

Last edited:

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Many years ago, I was canoeing with a friend. Late in the afternoon, a loon took off, and I used my 35mm Canon with a telephoto lens to pan along with its flight. This is a scan from the original Kodachrome slide. Sorry it's so big!

loon.jpg

Last edited:

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Alligators, Crocs, they fascinate me. They're Dinosaurs for goodness sakes! ;)

Actually, birds are dinosaurs, and we let those into our homes. :)

Birds come from the family of dinosaurs called Theropods through one of its smallest members, the Archeopteryx. The Theropods sported such luminairies as Allosaurus and Tyrannosaurus rex.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evograms_06

Eta: And only now do I notice that the post I replied to may have been posted during the age of the Dinosaurs. Sorry.

Last edited:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes... very beautiful! I also feel calmed when I'm near water... but also energized.

You have a great eye for photography, Evabeth. Welcome to AW and feel free to share more photos!

Chumplet, I love your fox and loon pics!

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful, Evabeth! And yes, water is my balancing element in nature.

ETA: *points to sig. . .butterfly pix that I took included in my recent post

Last edited:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
pk, I have a container holding the seeds and fluff from a milkweed pod that I plan to disperse in a preserve nearby. It's a fen prairie that has a few milkweeds, but I think could use more. Plus I know that the plants will be protected there.

Loved the monarch pics in your blog. :)

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
pk, I have a container holding the seeds and fluff from a milkweed pod that I plan to disperse in a preserve nearby. It's a fen prairie that has a few milkweeds, but I think could use more. Plus I know that the plants will be protected there.

Loved the monarch pics in your blog. :)

Cool about the milkweed!

And thanks. :)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been in here before, but I finally got some satisfying sunrise pics off the back porch, so I wanted to share. (I wasn't sure about what size was permissible here.)

Sunrise1.jpg

Sunrise2.jpg

Sunrise4.jpg

Sunrise5.jpg

The house backs up to nothing, but I hadn't been able to get a good shot in the two years we've been here. It seems it's mostly clear skies or completely overcast. No in between. I had to get on a ladder to get these over the fence.

I wish the sun didn't rise directly beside the utility pole and I could have gotten a shot without it. I also wish I'd had a stationary camera. It would have been nice to frame these and hang them in succession, but as they are, they're all over the place and look really messy and wouldn't have the effect I was going for. Oh well. Maybe next time.

(I also need a better camera. I don't really know how to take decent pictures with my phone... or our digital camera, for that matter. Maybe some classes are in order.)

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Heza, they're really good photos. You went to a lot of effort to get them. You might find at different times of the year, the sun will rise in different spots, so maybe next time you'll be able to avoid the power pole.

I take most of my photos with a digital camera that's slightly bigger than a pocket camera. They're getting cheaper and better all the time. You could invest in a mini tripod, maybe with a clamp if you want to attach your camera to the top of the fence for stability (if it has a tripod mount on the bottom).

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Those are good ideas, Chumplet. I'll look into tripods.

I'm not sure (and I'm really not; my sense of direction is horrible), but I think mid December is the farthest from the pole it gets. Every other time of the season, it's closer. :(

ETA: But I did take those from the porch (on the ladder). The power lines cross our yard, so, yeah, I could go out to the fence and take them there... I'm not positive I'll get the pole completely out of the shot, but the power lines shouldn't be a problem at least. Thanks!

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Went on a trip to Depoe bay in Oregon a while back. This was the view from our condo.

d6b4fb0a-79f7-4b0b-89d2-45b3b051fdce_zpsfm0zf2zw.jpg

But because I'm the kind of person who likes to look under rotting logs and things, the most interesting part was seeing some driftwood on the beach covered with goose-necked barnacles.

6d04a490-6b1d-482e-bc67-f492c32e0e23_zpspds6vvfs.jpg

Note, these aren't awesome photos, just taken on my ipad.

Last edited:

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
So many great photos on this thread. I must visit more often. :D

Vanayssa

Registered
Reaction score
Those are some good thoughts. Obviously you have a bad habit: you tend to think. Interesting habit.