Next Poetry Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
C.bronco, I have similar feelings about posting. However, I am taking up the "national epic poem" project, and hope also to write something for Kie's anthology collection, which thread he bumped the other day, as current group efforts. Seems like those two are not eliciting much attention at all, sadly. (Meanwhile all my other poems go in the crit room.)

So I wonder what it is about a contest that is so much more appealing? Not singling you out, either, because clearly you are not the only one who is drawn to a contest and not so much to other group endeavors offered.

In any case, a contest is quite a time-consuming, labor intensive project and commitment for anyone to take on and manage, and that's a big reason they are so few.

I'd love to see more of your poems in crit, though. I remember really enjoying the one you entered in the Space contest.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to post stuff because of copyright things and inability to submit to other places, but for a contest on AW, I am game. When is the next?

I'm confused... don't want to post stuff where? Is the OP lifted from another discussion?

kennyc

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm confused... don't want to post stuff where? Is the OP lifted from another discussion?

Some publications consider posting something on web forums (even drafts for critique) publication so will not accept submissions if it has been posted on the internet.

Total silliness IMO.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yeah--I know that, but I don't think that's what is meant in that post. Critique is pass protected and not searchable publicly. So not an issue. C is a long time member, conversation has been had many times in the last 9 years, usually started by a new member... yeah, I really don't think that was what is meant in that post, hence I asked.

Also, not silliness. If it is publicly available,it is published. Simple. Why would an outlet pay you for something that is otherwise freely available to everyone?

kennyc

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Ah, yeah--I know that, but I don't think that's what is meant in that post. Critique is pass protected and not searchable publicly. So not an issue. C is a long time member, conversation has been had many times in the last 9 years, usually started by a new member... yeah, I really don't think that was what is meant in that post, hence I asked.

Also, not silliness. If it is publicly available,it is published. Simple. Why would an outlet pay you for something that is otherwise freely available to everyone?

Well, most poetry outlets don't pay anyway, but still I don't agree that just because it is posted on line in a forum particularly for critique or as a draft, or even on a social media outlet that that is definitively considered 'published' -- it's not at many places only a few...

Last edited:

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, most poetry outlets don't pay anyway

Hmmm... not really a problem I've had. Regardless of payment to the author, let's take a different angle on this: why would a publication expect its readers/subscribers to buy copies of stuff available for free elsewhere?

I don't agree that just because it is posted on line in a forum particularly for critique or as a draft, or even on a social media outlet that that is definitively considered 'published' -- it's not at many places only a few...

Generally speaking, the forums I've visted (including AW), where critique is a main area of focus, that critique is done behind a password protected sub forum, ergo private = not public.

Publish

1. (Journalism & Publishing) to produce and issue (printed or electronic matter) for distribution and/or sale

2. (Journalism & Publishing) (intr) to have one's written work issued for publication

3. (tr) to announce formally or in public

If it is available to the public, it is published (has been issued and distributed). A common requirement for acceptance into publication is first rights to publish--there are a few that accept reprints, but in most cases, first rights is a common industry standard agreement.

I'm not sure where you are getting your 'most' and 'few' summations from, but they seem a tad skewed to me.

Last edited:

kennyc

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yawn.....I have no desire to argue with or convince you. Just stating the facts. Your opinion clearly differs from mine and many publications.
Carry on.

Last edited:

kennyc

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I would still be interested in hearing what the O.P. meant if something different than what I assumed.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yawn.....I have no desire to argue with or convince you. Just stating the facts. Your opinion clearly differs from mine and many publications.

Hmm, ok. Not to dwell on my previous point regarding those 'facts'. I do, however, agree your opinion differs from mine, and my experience on which that opinion is based.

Carry on.

Thank you. I'm glad for your permission ;)

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Just my take on the whole thing: if I were submitting my poems for money, then I wouldn't post them on the open forums here (critique is mostly safe, because it's behind a password wall and can't easily be searched.) Which is sad, because our give-and-take poetry threads are amazing inspiration!

But I'm not submitting poems for money, not directly, and not to traditional poetry markets. By the time I'm done turning my poetry into book art sculptures, my buyers couldn't care less whether they were previously published or not.

Think about what your end goal is, for your poetry. Post accordingly.

And yes, Kenny, not to beat the dead horse or anything: if something is searchable online, then it is considered 'published'. End of story. You can argue intent and semantics, but the poetry and academic publishers, the Big Five imprints, and most small to independent publishers operate on that principle. So authors have to, as well, if they want to play in those sandboxes.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Well. Another contest would be fab. I'll come up with one and front the prizes.
Stay tuned.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FACT: The Critique forum is safe as far as publishing rights go. That's why it exists.

This thread, which sets the matter to rest, has been on the front page of the Poetry Forum for three years.

B.D. Eyeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Where the dirty water has all been cleaned--Boston
Kie, I had the same reaction as you back at the beginning of this thread. It seems to start in the middle of a discussion. Not that it matters but I'd love to see the OP or any subsequent posts that lead to:

I don't want to post stuff because of copyright things and inability to submit to other places, but for a contest on AW, I am game. When is the next?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I have had a really busy week or so and haven't gotten back to this until now.

Open to suggestions.

It might take a bit of time for me to get it organized. Bear with me. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'd like to see,
If I could,
Something a little
bit,
Somewhat
avant garde.
Maybe
write
a
poem
without
using words.

If I may.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I don't use words in a lot of my book art pieces. This one happened to have a haiku that went with it on the other side of the pages, but here's one page from my 'Kite Book' from 2012:

Fabric painting, machine and hand-applique, embroidery, glass beads, woodworking.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I have no ideas for a contest topic, but will throw in a copy of my poetry book, Daddy-Daughter Day, for one of the prizes.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, but can I use words I make up ... ...

Yes! Lets have a poetry contest where the entries must be about or make use of a neologism. Poets must invent their own word! That would work...
neolo|gism
[nɪˈɒlədʒɪz(ə)m]
NOUN

• a newly coined word or expression.
    synonyms: new word · new expression · new term · new phrase
    • the coining or use of new words.

Commonly this would be an ideophonic product of adjective + noun, verb + adjective, or noun + adverb -- that said, neologisms also tend to result from abbreviations... I think for a contest, freedom is the main driver. Whatever inspires the word, by purpose, intent or sonic quality. It'll be massive fun :D

Last edited:

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be willing to donate something. Does it have to be a book of poetry? I have a big stack of new books (mostly fiction) that I'd gladly use as prizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.