• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nightchaser Ink Publishing

Lisboeta1

Registered
Reaction score
The publisher is taking submissions in different genres but I never heard of them. I believe they are a pretty recent publishing house. Anyone out there has any info on them? Trustworthy or not? Thanks in advance for any information.

TheOneTrueBen

Making it up as I go along...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chancefortunato.com
I've talked to the owner online a few times. As far as I know, they're not vanity and they're not looking to scam. Beyond that, I can't speak to much more. Their website is aimed at readers, not authors, so that's a good sign. They've been around for about 6 months or so. Based on my interactions with the one partner, Helen, I'm pretty confident in saying that they're not a bad actor. New, of course, with all that entails. I contacted Helen, she should be posting soon to say hi and answer questions.

nightchaser_sla

Registered
Reaction score
Hello I'm Helen Sidebottom the co-owner and COO of Nightchaser Ink Publishing. Sorry it took so long for me to reply.

Lisboeta1

Registered
Reaction score
Hello I'm Helen Sidebottom the co-owner and COO of Nightchaser Ink Publishing. Sorry it took so long for me to reply.
Thanks for replying and sorry it took me this long to come back here. Let me start by saying that your publishing house has amazing covers for the books. To me (art lover that I am) that is very important :)
Question: What kind of rights do you normally buy from the author in your contracts? Do you pay royalties on the cover, SRLP, or something else? When it comes to advances do you normally pay upon receiving the signed contract?
Thank you so much for your willingness to taking time to answer some questions.

nightchaser_sla

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much, our cover designer is amazing!

We only 'buy' the distribution rights from our authors for the contracted period.
At this point in time we are not offering advances (this is something we are looking at in the next six months), therefore we offer higher royalties than traditional publishers. We offer 40% digital royalties on books purchased from 3rd party distribution platforms (like Amazon or Nook), and 50% for books purchased from our website.

nightchaser_sla

Registered
Reaction score
We opened submissions towards the end of February (we've only been in business since the 8th of December), and our editing team has been working hard on the first surge of acceptances. We have six books coming out in the next month, twenty before the end of the year should everything go according to plan.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Can you tell us about your (and your staff's) previous publishing experience? Stick around long enough in publishing, and one of the (sadly true) refrains is 'publishing is not an entry level job.' I like new publishers and want to see them stick around long enough to be viable. However, I also know the odds of any new business succeeding. When publishers fail, they can take author's rights and even property down with them.

This is why we ask: so we can get a hint of a publisher's previous experience, related experience, and possible track record. Good luck, and thanks for answering questions. Hope to see many of your books out in the world.

nightchaser_sla

Registered
Reaction score
Myself and the co-owner have only had self publishing experience. However our commissioning editor, who holds 12% or the company, has worked in editing and marketing for several publishers previously and run her own ezines. When it comes to us going under and taking authors property with us, we have a clause in our contracts to prevent that happening.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You should be aware that, as far as I have been told, in case of bankruptcy that clause becomes moot. It is a nice gesture but not legally enforceable.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yes. Once creditors are involved, the nice anti-bankruptcy stipulations in contracts are *over*. Manuscripts and published works are usually considered assets, and often get locked up in the ensuing bankruptcy proceedings. That's why experienced authors will often move heaven and earth to buy back rights when they get a hint the publisher might be folding (see threads on Ellora's Cave and Musa).

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
They dont seem to publish what I've been writing but I have to agree in that the covers look real nice.

nightchaser_sla

Registered
Reaction score
You should be aware that, as far as I have been told, in case of bankruptcy that clause becomes moot. It is a nice gesture but not legally enforceable.

In that case then I would like to think that we would move to return the rights to the authors before the creditors moved in. Thankfully at this point bankruptcy isn't an option as we don't have any actual credit for the business, all the money that has gone in has been out of our back pockets. The only time it might happen is if we get sued over the coverage of our liability insurance.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would have to add that assets dispersed for quite an extended period prior to bankruptcy can still be a recovered by the bankruptcy trustee--even for periods of years if the property is non-exempt as manuscripts would be.

nightchaser_sla

Registered
Reaction score
I would have to add that assets dispersed for quite an extended period prior to bankruptcy can still be a recovered by the bankruptcy trustee--even for periods of years if the property is non-exempt as manuscripts would be.

Sadly then that would be a situation we would need to deal with should the problem arise.

Lisboeta1

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much, our cover designer is amazing!

We only 'buy' the distribution rights from our authors for the contracted period.
At this point in time we are not offering advances (this is something we are looking at in the next six months), therefore we offer higher royalties than traditional publishers. We offer 40% digital royalties on books purchased from 3rd party distribution platforms (like Amazon or Nook), and 50% for books purchased from our website.

Thank you Helen for your willingness answering all our questions :) Looking forward to seeing more of Nightchaser Ink. Good luck.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone. No activity after '16.