• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ellora's Cave Publishing, Inc.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A bit off topic(Might be a stupid question). If someone bought the company outright, would they take on the companies debts?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
A bit off topic(Might be a stupid question). If someone bought the company outright, would they take on the companies debts?

In theory, if the company's bought 'outright', that would be the entire company, assets and liabilities alike. In practice, it would depend on the sales contract. Before the offer was made, any reasonable buyer would insist on access to all the books, and could include any terms s/he wanted.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I still think she made the right choice, not throwing more money at them. Either EC will get its act together, in which case Cat's Icon Men books will perform better. Or EC will go down in acrimony and legal wrangling, and the rights may eventually go back to Cat anyway.

I'm hearing rumors that rights buybacks have been quoted as much higher per book. But I can't get those sources to confirm or directly post. There does seem to be some kind of fire sale going on at EC though.

Before querying two years ago, I did a lot of research on erotic romance publishers. Only seven made the cut and EC was almost the lowest on my list then (that contract, grrr). I'm very happy with where my debut ended up. But the last two years of publisher meltdowns have taught me not to take *anything* for granted.

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
But the last two years of publisher meltdowns have taught me not to take *anything* for granted.
The publisher search can certainly be like shooting at a moving target right now. One does one's due diligence, but it still can be a bit of a crap shoot. Glad you dodged this mess ;).

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Rights buybacks are disgraceful. Failing or not, a publisher should either revert rights or not revert them--but it shouldn't hold authors' books for ransom, even if the motive isn't to make a quick buck before the ship goes down.

- Victoria

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
That's how I feel about them. Better to cut losses and focus on newer work, than pay that ransom.

As for dodging EC, I really didn't have any choice about it - I got a form reject, after all. And then I realized that I disliked the sample text they used in their editing test. It was completely different in style (frankly banal and full of cliches) than the great EC books I'd already read, so I wondered if that was a sign of future company directions. Then I started reading about Jaid Black's legal and sociopolitical past, and wondered if it was best to stay away...

I'm so incredibly grateful that, thanks to AW and other sites, I've largely lucked out. I avoided Silver Publishing and Noble Romance, Musa and now Ellora's Cave, when they were all tempting, glittering targets.

But I really feel for the authors stuck there, and for the new authors still sending in manuscripts.

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Cat Grant's just announced on Facebook she's giving away her EC books for free.

?!?

Is there more to the post? That seems... like it would violate the contract. Is she saying that EC has already violated the contract, so it's null and void? Or...?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She doesn't care any longer.

No, I'm not kidding. I would rather give these books away than see EC make another penny's worth of profit from them.

I'm tired of being told to "sit down, shut up & do what we say or we'll sue you."

So go ahead, EC. Sue me. I double dog dare you.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I've met Cat Grant a couple times at conventions and she is a kind, generous, and amazing woman with a good heart. It really pisses me off that she's been forced to take this drastic of a step to draw attention to just how utterly fucked up things are right now.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Some EC payments are apparently still being made... I received a check yesterday for May's royalties. Not much of one, mind you, but still, I received it.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I need to stay out of this thread. I should stay out of this thread. But it's like a horrible slow-motion wreck happening right in front of me, on a part of the freeway where I probably won't get smacked when shit goes down.

Here are my current thoughts on the issue:

1. Tina, honey, please don't do this. Get rid of that pic and put up something more sober and professional. You don't even have to get rid of the braids. Just try to look competent and sympathetic. Happy defiance is not going to serve you and your mother well in court, not with your prior history of obstruction. Your few remaining 'yes women' are not going to impress a judge with their cheer-leading, let alone your creditors' lawyers.

2. Given the recent developments, I'd lay even money on Ellora's Cave going conveniently out of business by the end of this year...after the principals have parceled out the most lucrative contracts to other publishers, or expensive rights buybacks to authors who can afford them. That leaves a *lot* of other people without rights or income.

3. I cannot comprehend anyone sending in a new manuscript to this publisher right now, beyond those EC authors contractually required to do so. New authors - if you've failed to do your research (and this story is splashed all over the internet, far beyond AW), and you still sub to EC - you might deserve any future problems stemming from that decision. :Headbang:

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't you make number three red, bold, and in a large font, perhaps with flashing lights?

Maryn, practical

madmumbler

Self-declared Queen of Dark Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tymberdalton.com
As much as I hate seeing friends of mine (authors and editors) being screwed, the sadist in me hopes EC is stupid enough to start suing people. That means they'll be forced to go through the discovery process. Which, of course, will be made public as part of the lawsuit.

Meaning once and for all, their asshattery will be exposed in ways they never dreamed possible.

It's all fine and well for them to sling threats of lawsuits around and try to scare authors with them. But what the authors being threatened need to realize is that when EC is proven to have been guilty of malfeasance, they can then go after EC for attorney fees, etc.

Which they'll likely never recoup, but still, ALLLLL that information will then be made public, opening EC up to lawsuits from how many other authors and editors who've been screwed out of royalties.

Sheesh, you'd think that EC would have learned a looooong time ago the fastest way to shut authors up is to give them their rights back and send them on their way with a non-disclosure agreement to shut them up.

But then again, as we're seeing, EC isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the drawer.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with the braids?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with the braids?
In some people's eyes, they're considered too casual to be part of a polished professional look, much in the same way extremely long hair worn loose is considered an unprofessional look.

Our daughter has really long hair and on her temp jobs during college summers, some employers ask that she use a barrette to look more professional for their clientele.

Maryn, who also has long hair, but not like that

junierob

Registered
Reaction score
Some EC payments are apparently still being made... I received a check yesterday for May's royalties. Not much of one, mind you, but still, I received it.

Was it dated correctly?