• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

ParaDon Books Publishing / Amazon Book Clubs

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
What do you get when you drive slowly through Ames? A degree from Iowa State.

I guess I iz a fart-smucker.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm a die-hard Hawkeye fan.

Last edited:

FranOnTheEdge

Procrastinating lots, writing a bit
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that ad' posted at another site I'm a member off - I had to blink a few time when I read it, I mean if they do have the best editors, then they must be keeping them in a cage - cos they didn't get them to edit the ad' before it went out!

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
She's a professor of Hugh Jackman of course. That means he's legally obligated to show up at her house so she can engage in some in-depth research, right? ;)
Please welcome Jersey Chick, our new Professor in Hugh Jackman "Studies"! Professor Chick will be taking an extended sabbatical in Hugh Jackman's house for research purposes. She hopes to complete her latest paper, "What makes Hugh tick? Finding Jackman's turn ons and turn offs: a qualitative study" by the end of 2012.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I saw that ad' posted at another site I'm a member off - I had to blink a few time when I read it, I mean if they do have the best editors, then they must be keeping them in a cage - cos they didn't get them to edit the ad' before it went out!

Direct people to this thread. You'll be doing them a favor.

Best editors? In what pocket universe?

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! Is it now time for a big, old fashioned editor duel? Red pens at 10 paces in a misty library at dawn? Who shall win and be the best editor eva! :)

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Oooh! Is it now time for a big, old fashioned editor duel? Red pens at 10 paces in a misty library at dawn? Who shall win and be the best editor eva! :)

How much will it cost to rent Michael Buffer to do announcing? :D

Jstwatchin

Where's my head?
Registered
Reaction score
Appreciated the tip as well.

I've definitely had a good laugh...

(Btw., does Nigeria have a state named Montana? Some of those grammatical errors sound quite like those from certain emails I used to get)

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
ParaDon continues to spam the internet. I came across a post about them on the Yale Bookstore Facebook page. I took the opportunity to link back here.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Celina Marka's fiverr page has undergone some pruning:

http://fiverr.com/cmarka

Her personal details are still there but all references to the short story competition have vanished.

By the way, pop over to ParaDon's website and look at the Guest Book!

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
"Knowledge is a slut that'll open itself to anybody."

W-T-F???

Someone tell me this site is really a high school social studies experiment that's been yanking our chain the whole time and now just took a strange turn into Weird Street to see what we'll do next.

If I'm supposed to be a lab rat I want to know about it.

No, never mind. Such a ploy is too subtle. This person really is wearing a crazy hat.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't expect most of those guestbook comments will last long. I posted something there last week, and ParaDon erased it a few hours later.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I suspect the guest book idea will disappear in a few days. So far, all they have left is eight entries - 6 by people critiquing their editorial skills, requests for money and a posting about their cyber warfare threat. The remaining two are from ParaDon staff asking people to play nice on the boards.

I suspect many posts have been removed given the scarcity of replies there.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
ParaDon-Staff Comment on Guest Book:
To answer your question Fran, we charge a reading fee because we do not want to waste our valuable time on meaningless writings. This is why the major publishers you mentioned don't accept unsolicited manuscripts PERIOD. However, this reading fee is only temporary, for we are looking for those serious writers who believes in themselves and their arts. We also offer a lot more than the publishers you mention, all we ask is that you wait until the beginning of 2012 for our new releases. Thank you.

Yes, we all want publishers who will take our writings and arts seriously.

The fact that the reading fee is "temporary" suggests to me that they're using it to earn quick cash for the company.

I somehow doubt that these sub-literate wannabes offer a lot more than Penguin, Kensington, Harlequin or Random House.

MM

Last edited:

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes. They're mighty fond of the delete key. Several comments I saw earlier today have been removed, including the anticipated nod to Uncle Jim.

What's equally hilarious is that they've allowed mine to stay. Proof, I assume, that they didn't understand it? (They asked for quotes, so I quoted their own grammatically calamitous "About Us" page.)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
ParaDon-Staff Saturday, 11/26/11, 11:39 AM

To answer your question Fran, we charge a reading fee because we do not want to waste our valuable time on meaningless writings. This is why the major publishers you mentioned don't accept unsolicited manuscripts PERIOD. However, this reading fee is only temporary, for we are looking for those serious writers who believes in themselves and their arts. We also offer a lot more than the publishers you mention, all we ask is that you wait until the beginning of 2012 for our new releases. Thank you.

Well, that clears that up :)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I kind of hate to be the one to say this, but people with meaningless writing are more than likely the ones who will pay a reading fee.

But I'm assuming the right-on-top-of-things staff at ParaDon Publishing are quite well aware of that.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
we are looking for those serious writers who believes in themselves and their arts
I believes in myselves and my arts but I won't be submitting my writings to ParaDon Books. Just saying.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the photo of "Celina Marka" is actually a snapshot of someone else stolen from the internet...

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the photo of "Celina Marka" is actually a snapshot of someone else stolen from the internet...
I suspected that might be the case, and searched it yesterday or day before, but http://www.tineye.com didn't turn up anything. (I HAVE caught trouble-makers using fake profile pictures they grabbed of the web with Tin Eye before. But not this time.)

It wouldn't surprise me if the individual behind ParaDon -- and I suspect that it is an individual, despite the multiple names -- has managed to convince themselves that: they know what they're doing ("how hard can it be?") they know the industry (possibly better than the "out of touch" industry insiders. "The world is different now."), and that if only they can get the start up cash, they think they really will be able to do right by their authors (as well as finally getting themselves published.)

The one con-artist (well, at least that I know of) that I had the misfortune of spending a lot of time around (not by choice; We never got along :tongue) was definitely conning himself to a far greater degree than he was conning anyone else. He couldn't see the way his addition to get-rich-quick was causing and worsening all the problems he wanted this hypothetical sudden infusion of cash to solve. (I'm seeing similarities in attitudes between the two of them. But maybe that's just me.)

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ParaDon has deleted the half-dozen or so most recently posted messages on their guestbook, including the ones that gave links to all the publishers' submission guidelines and that proved other publishers accept open submissions without a fee.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh! Rewritnig history! Fun indeed... :)

Is it time to flood their site with messages that give that information and try to send the mods insane trying to delete them all?