• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Center One Publishing

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It looks very iffy to me. Particularly this rather confusing contest of theirs:

Welcome to Center One Publishing's annual writing contest sponsored by Brenista Printing.

Here's what Center One says about the contest:
CENTER ONE PUBLISHING 2011-2012 SHORT STORY WRITING CONTESTOFFICIAL RULES

Your short story shall not exceed 10,000 words or 100,000 characters.

Monthly prizes shall be as follows. Third Prize: $25.00. Second Prize: $50. First Prize: $100 plus their short story will be published in an anthology with all other monthly winners.

The publishing contract for the winning story will be the one submitted, the story will be printed in an anthology with all other Monthly First Prize winners. Each author showcased in the Anthology will receive 1% of the total sales of the Anthology for the first year of publication.

Here's what Brenista says about the contest:
Brenista Printing is proud to be the sponsor of Center One Publishing's yearly writing contest where the first place winner will receive $1500.00 in free printing or a cash prize of $750.00! Entries must be an original work between 20,000 and 30,000 words

Not to mention that, simply by entering the contest, you're giving away all rights to your story:
All entrants, by participating in this Contest and submitting a Short story, grant Center One Publishing and any of Center One Publishing’s successors and assigns the perpetual and irrevocable right, license, and ability to use and publish all submitted short story (in the format submitted or in an altered format and in complete form or in excerpted form) on Center One Publishing’s websites, on other websites, and in other media, for any purpose.

No names associated with Center One, and both its website and Brenista's are registered through a proxy, but they were created/registered within 4 hours of each other on the same day. I would assume that the owners are Rebekah McClew-Dine and Justin Dine, Center One's current sole authors.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Center One Publishing Website:
We are a newly established publishing company of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, and Young Adult Fiction.

It's good that they're focusing, but young adult is a broad church covering anything from thriller to humour so I'd want to know what area specifically they're focusing on. Also, some of the romance writers on the board might want to chip in as to whether the romance market is tightening at the moment or is still open to new start-ups. I know that erotica is doing quite well right now but I think I read on another thread that there have been so many romance publishers recently that new ones need to differentiate themselves in some way or go the extra mile with marketing and publicity.

Our goal is to offer sixteen new novels a year from both established and newly introduced authors which displays a wide range of interesting and unique stories for our readers.

It's good that they're restricting themselves to slots but the question does arise as to whether they're capable of marketing, distributing and promoting 16 novels in one year.

To help encourage those who are passionate about writing we are engaged in our 2011-12 Writing Contest which is open to all individuals eighteen and up and can be found here. We will be awarding five yearly prizes to the top five short stories entered into the contest.

I don't understand why a publisher that's looking to put out novels is running a competition to support short fiction. If you're going to support and encourage writers, then put out good books with solid sales figures.

We are currently accepting submissions from both new and established authors. Submissions may be made through our submissions page and can be made via an agent or by the author themself. Our goal is to pick up sixteen new authors by December of 2012.

Unless they're paying advances, I don't see why any agent would be interested in them.

I'm also a bit confused by the aim to pick up 16 new authors by December 2012 given that on the same page they're talking about putting out 16 novels a year (which can obviously consist of a number of novels by the same author).

Currently Center One Publishing is only publishing books from established and newly introduced authors.

What do they mean by "newly introduced"?

Font and formatting will be finalized with our printing team if your story is accepted, however we ask stories be submited using Arial or Times New Roman.

I'd want to clarify whether this means they're basically just transposing submissions into print format or whether this is done after an editing process.

Center One Publishing Website Submission Form:
What are your goals as a Writer/Author?
What are your motivations for becoming an Author? (1000 WORDS MAX)

Don't understand why this question is relevant. The book can either be sold or it can't be sold. The author's motivations are meaningless.

How would you describe your characters? (800 WORDS MAX)

Don't understand what this has to do with deciding whether to take on a book.

Synapses (800 WORDS MAX)

A synapse is a structure in the neurological system. It's necessary to human existence but not to submitting a manuscript to a publisher. I think they mean synopsis. The fact that this typo/misuse of a word exists raises questions about their professionalism.

First 1,000-1,500 words of the story

Yup, I can see why they'd want to include that on a submission.

Last 1,000-1,500 words of the story

Erm, what?

Your favorite scene of the story (1500 WORDS MAX)

Erm, WTF?

I agree to all terms and conditions of Center One Publishing.

To submit the form you have to agree to the terms and conditions but none are actually available. I'd be wary of this because what you don't want is Center One trying to hold you to terms that you only learn about *after* submission.

Center One Publishing Website Short Story Contest FAQs (BOLDING MINE):
Contestants retain ownership of their entries. However, by submitting an entry, contestants grant the contest sponsor a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the entries in any media formats and through any media channels in connection with the contest and in connection with the business of the contest sponsor. Entries are subject to editing, as they may be used by the contest sponsor for promotional purposes.

Hell no. This is a rights grab and it means that Center One can basically do anything they like with your short story without paying you.

Center One Publishing Website Short Story Contest FAQs:
You will not be able to publish or sell your work outside of the contest for 24 months.

This should clarify that the 2 year period only applies to winners (which I've extrapolated from the fact that the entry form says that work is tied up for 12 months). Personally, I think that a 2 year exclusive is too long given the value of the prize.

Center One Publishing Website Short Story Contest Rules: (BOLDING MINE)
OWNERSHIP AND USE OF WINNING SHORT STORY: All entrants retain the copyright rights that they have in the Short Story they submit, but all entrants, by participating in this Contest and submitting a Short story, grant Center One Publishing and any of Center One Publishing’s successors and assigns the perpetual and irrevocable right, license, and ability to use and publish all submitted short story (in the format submitted or in an altered format and in complete form or in excerpted form) on Center One Publishing’s websites, on other websites, and in other media, for any purpose. Entrants’ opportunity to submit their short story and participate in this Contest constitutes full consideration for the foregoing grant. The foregoing grant requires no further consideration and is not dependent on entrants’ winning any prizes. Center One Publishing can publish or decline to publish, or use or decline to use, any submitted stories in Center One Publishing’s sole discretion.

This bears repeating because it's a big fat no in my book. Center One should not have any right at all to use your work by virtue of entry into their contest. The right to enter is not, by any stretch of the imagination, appropriate consideration for your work and release of your work should not in any way be in Center One's discretion.

Center One Publishing Website Short Story Contest Entry Form:I certify that this is an origional unpublished work and will remain so for 12 mths. after submission.

So they can take your work for 12 months, use it for whatever purpose they want without paying you and you're stuck with that.

Not good enough.

MM

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
A synapse is a structure in the neurological system. It's necessary to human existence but not to submitting a manuscript to a publisher. I think they mean synopsis. The fact that this typo/misuse of a word exists raises questions about their professionalism.

They are inordinately fond of the words "comming" and "upcomming". Also, if the excerpts from the two "upcomming" books are anything to go by I wouldn't trust them to edit my work (assuming that any editing will be done).

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
There's also the fact that they list 2 books as being available in November 2011 and available for preorder:

- SECRETS OF THE NIGHT by Rebekah McClew

- THE SON OF AVIS by Justin Dine.

Both are listed as having pre-orders starting on 07/01/2011 but a quick check on Amazon shows neither are currently available on that site.

In addition, when you click on more details for both books, they say that the release date for each book is 31st October 2011. If there's been a delay, then it would be good to know why. If the information on the site is wrong, then it needs to be corrected (and it says a lot about the publisher's professionalism).

At the risk of sounding catty, I've got to say that the blurb and further information for each book is confusing and poorly written rather than enticing. If this is the best that Center One can do for its owners, think about what it could do for you.

Finally, from the information on the books available on the site it seems that they're taking print and electronic rights. Unless they've got a distribution deal in place with stores (i.e. they are physically supplying set quantities to stores) then they shouldn't be touching your print rights. At the moment, they don't seem to be in a position to make the most of electronic book rights as they only seem to be available via the Center One site.

MM

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
I would assume that the owners are Rebekah McClew-Dine and Justin Dine, Center One's current sole authors.
I think you're right, based on this Tweet and the account labels her as "Traditional Publisher".

It is nice to see she says, "An author should never pay to have their book published."

Last edited:

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding catty, I've got to say that the blurb and further information for each book is confusing and poorly written rather than enticing. If this is the best that Center One can do for its owners, think about what it could do for you.

Agreed. I think it's quite useful and appropriate for authors to ask themselves, "If I submitted to this press and got rejected, would I still be keen to buy their books and read them just for my own pleasure, based on the author/title/cover art/back cover copy/etc?

qutnfuzy

Registered
Reaction score
I can clear up a lot about "Center One Publishing LLC." To start, authors retain all rights to their books, they never lose rights of their writing.

Right now since the company is brand new, it is looking for new authors to start off with. The company is still working on getting their name out there and known. They do have an account with Barnes and Nobles online and local bookstores along with Amazon.com. Now I'll give you the back history for why the company started in the first place.

Both authors Justin Dine and Rebekah McClew had a goal of having their books published. However many of their friends had sadly gone through "Vanity Press's" which charge an author to have their book published and do not always promise to promote or do more then simply physically publish or put these books online without advertising. The eventual goal of the company is to be owned by several authors who being published themselves understand what fellow authors go through looking to be published and what they want from a publishing company.

The company is primarily owned by Justin dine and Rebekah McClew. However a few other family members are working for the company also until the company gets off the ground more.
Both have worked as editors and both had worked at the Traverse City Record Eagle News paper for several years. Instead of waiting for a traditional publisher to publish their books they had decided to start their own publishing company to promote theirs and others writings. Far to many of the larger publishing companies have settled on their big sellers or are simply not accepting submissions. There are several other smaller publishers which can afford to only publish so many books because of the cost to them and not their authors. These are Traditional Publishers which Center One Publishing is.

None of the future authors chosen will ever put a dime out for their books being formatted, printed,advertised, placed or returned when a customer decides they do not want the book. Every bookstore either physical or online requires the right to return a book if the customer decides to. A few do have limits to this. The author is also encouraged to get their Writing/ Manuscript copyrighted before submitting.

Both Justin and Rebekah are available for chat and respond rather quickly to any inquiries. Both can be contact through the website and are also found on Facebook.

For authors who have already been published, they are offered a signing bonus. Those who are not heard of or not in print such as new authors just starting out, they are not offered one yet. Just like any other traditional publisher out there, they make a portion from the books sold. With the cost of printing, storing, advertising, charges from Amazon, these are taken out of the company portion. Authors make a slightly higher rate being paid then from C.O.P then other traditional Publishing companies. The company puts out quite a bit of money for each author they choose, so they will want to make sure the Manuscript/ story is worth selling to a broad audience. Most of this is discussed in the contract between the company and the potential author.

As for the authors who are listed, the books are not listed with any online seller right now because they have been busy looking for others to market at the same time as their books. This will be their first placement. However if others are not chosen by October then these two books will be done before that. Most only need two authors at a time. Majority of Publishers have a goal or determined number of authors they promote due to cost to them and again not to the author. Right now their books are delayed with this.

When a company starts up they make plans and start out with advertising. Unfortunately when you first start and no one knows you it's hard to find authors or participants. Every one has to start somewhere. The company has only been operating for about 2 years, with making sure contracts and contests are legal with lawyers, making sure there is adequate equipment and time to properly run a company, it does take time and money. Unfortunately at the beginning is when most are working out the bugs of the company. Which is why the company appreciates any suggestions or questions in general.

Book stores also require quite a bit from Publishing companies before they allow them to submit authors to them which also takes time. Reviewers separate from the company also generally require 1-3 months to review a book. This would be the New York Times and others like them.

As for such a wide range with the "Young Adult" books. The other areas are limited for now, however Young Adult is a higher sales area which is easier to promote. However the company does not handle Fiction horror in any of their categories and will be listed to clarify this.

By now I'm sure many of you are either wondering who I am or have as I'm assuming already guessed who I am. I am Ann Dine and can be contacted at [email protected] I work for the printing company. This is the reason the Publishing company can pay their future authors more is simply because they own both ends instead of sending out to another company for printing. Right now I have several printing jobs going through our printing press. We do not actively advertise this since it's already quite busy and not currently taking new orders. Center One Publishing and Brenista Printing are both registered LLC's and run on their own. Brenista started much earlier then the publishing company and will always run on it's own separate budget.

If you have any questions feel free to either email me or contact someone from the site itself.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
qutnfuzy:
To start, authors retain all rights to their books, they never lose rights of their writing.

Unless they're doing a work for hire, authors always retain copyright in their work. What they give (or lose, depending on how you phrase it) is a licence to publish. Anyone experienced in publishing knows that and the fact that you're saying it as if it's some kind of special thing that marks you out, points to inexperience.

qutnfuzy:
The eventual goal of the company is to be owned by several authors who being published themselves understand what fellow authors go through looking to be published and what they want from a publishing company.

A publishing company needs to be focused on making sales of books that it's selected because they believe it can sell and they can sell it. A publishing company is not a support group.

qutnfuzy:
Far to many of the larger publishing companies have settled on their big sellers or are simply not accepting submissions.

This is rubbish. My friend got a deal this year with Harper Collins and he had no previous publishing experience. There are plenty of people on this site who got publishing deals this year with advance paying companies that are open to submissions.

qutnfuzy:
None of the future authors chosen will ever put a dime out for their books being formatted, printed,advertised, placed or returned when a customer decides they do not want the book. Every bookstore either physical or online requires the right to return a book if the customer decides to. A few do have limits to this. The author is also encouraged to get their Writing/ Manuscript copyrighted before submitting.

Copyright should be registered by the publisher.

No author should ever have to pay for returns anyway.

qutnfuzy:
Just like any other traditional publisher out there, they make a portion from the books sold. With the cost of printing, storing, advertising, charges from Amazon, these are taken out of the company portion. Authors make a slightly higher rate being paid then from C.O.P then other traditional Publishing companies. The company puts out quite a bit of money for each author they choose, so they will want to make sure the Manuscript/ story is worth selling to a broad audience. Most of this is discussed in the contract between the company and the potential author.

So royalties are paid on the cover price and not net? Unless the rate is specified here, it's not possible to say if the rate is higher than that offered elsewhere.

qutnfuzy:
The company has only been operating for about 2 years, with making sure contracts and contests are legal with lawyers, making sure there is adequate equipment and time to properly run a company, it does take time and money.

Were those lawyers experienced in publishing law? Because your short story contract terms are extraordinarily onerous and I would never counsel a writer to accept them.

qutnfuzy:
Book stores also require quite a bit from Publishing companies before they allow them to submit authors to them which also takes time. Reviewers separate from the company also generally require 1-3 months to review a book. This would be the New York Times and others like them.

Bookstores want good return rates. Reviewers from newspapers want credible products. It's easier to get a response from good blogging sites.

There's still a lot of work to be done here before it's a worthwhile venue in my opinion and I'd advise anyone to give it a couple of years to see what the sales figures are like.

MM

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Ann, I suspect that many people will be put off by the spelling and grammatical errors - not to mention the generally poor standard of writing - on the Center One website. Don your editor's hat and look at the following blurb for Justin Dine's Son of the Avis:

In the province of the Avis the followers of the Unknown Guardian thrive under his Will until a prophecy foretelling their fall came to light. The father of it all burdened with the knowledge gives his daughter up for dead as he takes another for his son. But will the provinces fall anyways as with his sons twenty-fourth birthday he receives his quest to prove himself to the true Guardian of his world... Find her...

This is one step removed from gibberish. It wouldn't encourage me to either buy the book or submit my work to Center One Publishing.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
There is no way to purchase books from your website. I don't see the two available titles on Amazon.com either. This is not encouraging to readers or authors. This operation is nowhere near ready for prime time.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ann, I suspect that many people will be put off by the spelling and grammatical errors - not to mention the generally poor standard of writing - on the Center One website.

Interestingly, Center One complains about this very thing on their Facebook page:
Speaking and writing proper English apparently has lost. Newspapers, television shows, websites and even published books we not only find errors but also sadly improperly edited work. This distracts from great works of the writers, news crew,important internet articles and other forms of published work.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
:Jaw:Good God. Please tell me that the person who wrote that isn't an editor...

Last edited:

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which is why the company appreciates any suggestions or questions in general.

Since most of the planet, including the owners of Center One, use Facebook, I'd suggest that they put on their editors' hats and revise their Facebook page. The current text doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in Center One's editorial capabilities.
We publish novel size of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, and Young Adult Fiction. Our goal is to offer sixteen new novels a year from both established and newly introduced authors which displays a wide range of interesting and unique stories for our readers.

We are a relatively new publishing company however we are traditional and not a vanity press. We either find or have authors who find us to publish their books.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
More Facebook gems from Center One:

Everyone is a writer. Everyone is the author of their life. Truly talented and motivated individuals strive to share their works with others making themselves published regardless if it's with a publishing company or not.

I don't know about everyone, but an awful lot of people do seem to be convinced that they are capable of writing a book. Where would the vanity presses and dodgy small publishers be without them? Alas, talent and motivation are two very different things. If you lack the talent to write a publishable and saleable book all the the motivation in the world won't help you.

J.K Rowling's is such an amazing writer!

So is J K Rowling!

Here at Center One Publishing, we have never cared for the nasty rejection letters aspiring authors receive. If it's truly not what the publishing company is looking for there are so many ways of saying this without breaking down the spirit of the writer! We truly believe it's the real reason most talented authors do nothing with their stories never releasing these to the world to enjoy, even if it's not with our company.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Center-One-Publishing/207181149320258

Novice writers, if a frank rejection letter is enough to break your spirit you're probably in the wrong business. The brutal truth is that the majority of unpublished writers will never get out of the slushpile because their work simply isn't good enough to be published. The ability to put a book-length number of words on paper doesn't make you a special little snowflake who DESERVES to be a published author.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Here at Center One Publishing, we have never cared for the nasty rejection letters aspiring authors receive. If it's truly not what the publishing company is looking for there are so many ways of saying this without breaking down the spirit of the writer! We truly believe it's the real reason most talented authors do nothing with their stories never releasing these to the world to enjoy, even if it's not with our company.

Nasty rejection letters? Puh-leeze. I've never received a 'nasty' rejection letter (but I have quite a lot of 'great' ones to go along with all the perfectly respectful ones). I don't have a single writer friend in all my acquaintence who has received a 'nasty' one.

Perhaps Center One has some weird definition of 'nasty' that normal people don't recognise?

Or are they just precious flowers who consider a basic rejection letter to be 'breaking down the spirit of the writer'?

In any case, what a weird bunch of things they say in their public spaces!

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps Center One has some weird definition of 'nasty' that normal people don't recognise?

It's probably 'critical', meaning 'things my friends and family are too nice to say to me'. Ego-boosting won't help you but constructive criticism will.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Old (?) URL in maintenance mode, and new/store URL (c1books.us) reads "Center One Books is Currently under reconstruction until October 1st, 2016.
Thank you for your patience." An example of what they were building: http://store.c1books.us/index.php