• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ridan Publishing

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I’m not shure about this place. You go to the websit an you see the name “Michael J. Sullivan” about a million times (who is apparently a writer who is related to the owner?). There are typo’s all over the place and it looks like the website hasn’t been updated in months, or maybe years? Plus the first page on their site makes my eyes hurt.

Are they still in business? Do they publish anyone other than Nathan Lowell? I was going to order a couple of their new titles to gauge their present editing quality / production quality, but it seems they don’t have anything new. On a whim I sent a query (a while back) and never heard anything back (which may be their rejection, I don't know, that doesn't say on their cite either) I may sound bitter, but I'm really not. I just get frustrated when you can't find information after doing everything you can. I know others who did the same and never heard anything back either.

Anyone here know anything? are they even worth submitting to? I even tried to email two of the authors of their "comming soon" books but never got any replies.

I just want some up current information, if anyone has any.

Sure I'll give you some current information.

We have six-authors on now and two more under development.

Yes we are in business and sell several thousand books each month. (Mostly in ebook format).

Our most recent titles are: Wintertide (Oct 2010, Half Share De 2010, Soldier of the Legion ebooks, April 2011). We have Full Share being released this month and YA versions of the Griffin's Daughter trilogy. Next up is Sequel to Time Cavern which I'm HOPING to have out in May but it is already a busy month.

No we are not currently open to submissions (and haven't been for some time - the sumission page indicates this)

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I also found it odd that the owner of the publishing house blogs, but doesn't blog about anything to do with her publishing house, she spends all her time telling people they should self publish.
QUOTE]

I think you need to read my posts carefully - I don't "spend all my time telling people to self-publish" I mention that in today's climate self-publishing is a viable alternative (and just one of the routes - including big-six and small presses like Ridan) each has pluses and minus.

For people who don't want to be "bothered" with editing, formatting, covers etc - small pressess are a good way to go - but you give up money and control in the process.

If you want to "maximize" earning potential - they yes, I feel if you can "do it all yourself" you'll usually make more than if you have to share it with another group.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Sure I'll give you some current information.

We have six-authors on now and two more under development.

Yes we are in business and sell several thousand books each month. (Mostly in ebook format).

Our most recent titles are: Wintertide (Oct 2010, Half Share De 2010, Soldier of the Legion ebooks, April 2011). We have Full Share being released this month and YA versions of the Griffin's Daughter trilogy. Next up is Sequel to Time Cavern which I'm HOPING to have out in May but it is already a busy month.

No we are not currently open to submissions (and haven't been for some time - the sumission page indicates this)

Yeah... might want to update the website. Wouldn't know you're still in business from a page six months old.

just sayin'...

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I am always suspicious of any Publisher / Author relationships when the the author is the publisher, or related to the publisher.

Michael is the author - not the publisher - I can see where some people would be put off by that, and a good reason to choose other places. With Michael leaving the imprint that should be less of a concern, but for anyone that it is a concern for, of course I don't want them to consider us.

With Ridan, the fact that her husband has taken his business elsewhere, does not speak highly of Ridan's ability to continue to build Michael into a higher level author. It makes me feel that they knew Ridan had hit the upper limit of what they could do.

The fact that we hit the upper limit with Michael - is accurate, (from a standpoint of "visibility"). As for income potential...there's still tons of room to grow and Michael's income will most asuredly decrease by going to Orbit. (Just based on he fact that he gets so much less per book).

You're conclusion that it doesn't speak highly of our skills I'll respectfully disagree with.

If you read earlier posts, you'll see that Ridan's business model forgoes the bookstore chains. It is a business decision that does limit those signing with Ridan. We make no bones about the fact that if you want to be in bookstores Ridan is NOT for you.

But...from a financial perspective, we don't need bookstores to make a good earning wage for our authors. (Which is what my goal for Ridan authors is).

Actually the fact that he is moving shows how successful we can be. Michael was able to land a six-figure 3-book deal in 17 days. How many people on the query-go-round can match that? It is because Ridan was successful that opportunities opened up for him.

If this is the case, what does this say to the other authors hopping to advance to the next level with Ridan?

Ridan's contract allows authors to "jump ship" to another publisher if they feel Ridan is not "doing well by them". They get all their rights back and we part as friends. I'm interested in the successful careers of my authors and if they can "get better elsewhere" - I say good for you!

I might also add, the level I note is a level that is not self published, which is why the authors went with Ridan instead of going it alone... Or so I would assume.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what this meant so if you clarify I'll certainly address it.

By the way, I have nothing against Michael. His cover art is very good and better than many I have seen from larger companies than Ridan. I haven't read any of his work to know if the books are good, if the editing is passable, or anything else, but his sales numbers would indicate that the publishing quality must be decent. Unsure if this is because of Ridan's editors, or if this is something Michael did on his own...

Thank for the compliment. I'll say it's a little of both...but I always put more emphasis on the author as it their work that is the substance of the book. Bad editing can ruin a good story, but good editing can't save a bad one.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder how many of Ridans books have sold over that many. In this interview she insinuates that they've done really well for their authors, but I don't know what that means. .

66% (4 out of 6) (Todd Fonseca, Michael Sullivan, Nathan Lowell, Marshall Thomas) Ridan authors have sold more than 1,000 books in a single month.

Most recent sales volumes are:

Michael 4,000+ a month (5 titles)
Nathan Lowell 2,000+ a month (2 titles) - #3 about to be released
Marshal Thomas: 4,000 a month (6 titles) though at this moment he's "on fire" and if sales continue as they are...he could easily hit 10,000 for May.

[/QUOTE]

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at the Amazon paid Kindle rankings (I had them all copied & then lost the post ARRGGHHH), and the Marshall Thomas, Nathan Lowell, and Michael Sullivan books listed under Ridan publishing were between about 1000 and 2500, with one book at #289. Those are much, MUCH better numbers than I usually see when I look up a small publisher's ebooks on Amazon.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
While I would normally agree, the fact is, while his wife is the main owner/publisher of record, they are a team in all aspects of the company with Michael providing very good cover art at no cost to the authors or company.

I've been very honest and forthright about all aspects of Ridan's business, so please ask rather than make an assumption...I'll tell you ;-)

While we are "partners in life" we are not "partners in Ridan" The only thing Michael has done is cover art. Everything else is my doing. On a "few" occassions I've asked him to read a query - to give me an opinion and on one occassion I asked him to do some pretty heavy lifting from an editing standpoint as the work needed major restructuring. That's it...oh and in the past he did do some InDesign for interiors, but we have a template now and he doesn't do that anymore.

I doubt Michael charges Ridan, so he has a vested interest in the company as well as his wife.

No he doesn't charge for covers. As for "vested interest" - Ridan is not an income stream that he worries about. Our bills are all paid off of his writing now. In the past they were paid with a "day job" I used to have.

Michael is also the biggest author Ridan has to date, in terms of sales, as per Robin's comments elsewhere.

Nathan was our cash cow for May - Oct 2010) (because Half Share just came out.

Michael was our cash cow for Oct 2010 - Jan 2011(because Wintertide just came out.

Michael and Nathan earned similarly (on a per book basis) for March - April

Marshall is our cash cow for April - May (because ebooks of Solidier of Legion came out)

Nathan will probably be our cash cow for May - June because Full Share is coming out.

This is no different than other companies - the most recent release generate the highest sales.

Now that Michael has taken the Cash Cow elsewhere, so to speak, this makes me wonder if Ridan will continue to promote the other authors with the same passion as they have promoted Michael. I hope so...

I do everything with passion, its the only way I know to operate. Having Michael "somwhere" else makes it easier for me to devote more time and energy to other Ridan authors -and quite frankly one of the aspects that went into the decision making.

Ridan has only been open a short time and Michael has already moved on elsewhere. If this is to separate his work from Ridan for professional reasons, then I can respect his decision. His new publisher brings a certain amount of credibility and respectability to his name and work, so its a win-win situation for him. I applaud...

If every Ridan author had such opportunities open for them, and they moved on to major houses with six-figure advances - I'd be ecstatic.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
Ridan is small, it doesn't claim to be another but, I think for people looking to break out and get published Ridan can easily be a stepping stone.

Precisely. I don't mind being a stepping stone - while my authors are with me, I make money, they make money, its all good.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
It doesn't so much bother me that Michael is/was one of ridan's authors, it is just a bit red-flagish that Robin only seems to promote his titles.

Don't confuse my posts here as "promotion" - on this forum I'm Robin and have expertise in all 3 areas of publishing, self, small, big-six. And I'm speaking to "writers" on the "business of writing". I'm not selling books - that is done to "readers" and this is not their forum.

Most of my posts center around Michael because I feel comfortable doing that. I expose a great deal of financial information about his books for illustrative purposes but I don't do similarly with other authors because their income is THEIR business.

My "promotion" is not done in places like AW. This is for information exchange. It is other venues where I "promote". From where you're sitting, you couldn't get a good picture of what I do for the authors from a marketing perspective and the number of activities I perform on their behalfs.

On the Ridan Website michael's books are the most prevelent in all the 'lists'. Her blog only links to his titles and his blog. So does she do that because his are the best selling? or because his are the only ones she cares to sell?
  • On the main page - the "main graphic is for Lowell's Half Share"
  • On the "right side links" the order is: Michael, Nathan, Marshallx5, Fonseca, Anderson, Moore x3, Michael x4
  • The "interviews" are very out of date - but yes Michael has a lot listed there because at that time one of my marketing pushes was to get him a lot of interviews.
  • Top seller list is: Michael, Nathan x 2 (because GASP those were the best sellers
  • All other "book lists are "alphabetical" - no favortism there
It gives the appearance of favortisim, imo. And that's the basis for why I was wondering if they were just shutting their doors now that michael is going elsewhere.

I see no favoritism in the above bullets - And as for shutting down - don't wonder...ask. I'm not shutting down, if anything I'm ramping up.

I also noticed that Robin says that she is the editor for Ridan, but she's not trained as an editor, and for Michael's books there is other names listed as editors for his books [can be seen wtih the look inside feature on Amazon]. So does that mean Ridan spent money on editing for his books but not for the editing of the other books?

I am the "chief editor", but I can be taught ;-). I had no degree in marketing before I started an advertising company but I made a huge success at that as well. I'm proud to say I've reinvented myself several times. I like learning new things and rising to new challenges.

Yes we hire freelances and utilize interns for editing. Sometimes the are mentioned in the credits sometimes they are not. We make our "spend" decisions based on the needs of each indivdual books.

I also noticed on Michael's blog that he talks about how much editing is being done to his books to correct punctuation and grammar [now that he's with a major publisher] so then does that mean they had sub-par editing before? [and that would be one of the main reasons I really wanted to see a recent ridan book]

There is no "pill" for perfect editing. I defy you to find ANY editor that can perfectly edit a book. Before I came here and started reviewing this posts, I was going over Michael's editor's changes, and while she/he is very good, there are many things I caught that she did not, an some changes she wanted to make that would have introduced an error.

No matter who edits the books, there will be nits here and there. You get to a point of diminishing returns, where each new edit will uncover less, but like a line that is constantly divided in half you can do this forever.

Each publisher has to decide when is "good enough" when additional time/effort/money will not make a substative difference in the books sales, etc.

I'm pleased with the reviews and emails from the people who have bought Ridan's books. I stand by the quality of the product that is produced. Can you find a misplaced comma in them? You betcha. But when you are done with the story do you feel you got your money's worth, had an enjoyable time...my feedback says yes.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
It seems to me that Robin Sullivan can't decide for herself whether her husband, Michael J Sullivan, is self-published or commercially published. Here are things she said in separate posts here at AW just today.

Lol - I have no problems knowing what he is. It's people on sites like this that I have to adjust to.

• Michael was initially published through small press - AMI.
  • Michael was later self-published but also through a small press - Ridan
  • Michael has been offered a contract with a big-six publisher and has "been throgh the process" - Covers designed, books edited, layout performed, line edits (in process - book 1 is done, book 2 I'm reviewing now, book 3 we are waiting on line edits - story edits already done), ARC's (I think are done), Catalog created. etc. But "technically" he's not been published through them "yet". In fact, we're still on the final contract.
(According to Amazon, Aspirations Media was the first publisher [ISBN 0980003431] and Ridan is the second [ISBN 0979621135].)

True....is there a question there?

Sometimes she says Michael is self-published, but other times she says Michael is commercially published by Ridan.

Because if I say he's self-published -- people here say -- No he's not self-published because he has the benefits of a "publisher" behind him -- you can't claim that's not part of his success can you?

If I say he's commercially published -- people here say -- But he's not been vetted. No independent party has put their money on the line.

As I have experiences in all three paths I'll put on "the appopriate" hat for the conversation being discussed.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
See, that's one of the problems I have with self-publishing. It appears that she opened up the company to publish her husband's novels.

Yes, because his small press couldn't get the second book out by the publication date. There already were book store and book club signings setup so the only way to keep those obligations were to self-pubish.

All fine and dandy. But then she adds in other authors to... what, give it the air of authencity so that if someone visits the website, it doesn't look like a one-author outfit?

Becoming the publisher was not something I had on my "life list". It was a situation I was forced into. And you know what...I knew I could do a better job than the other small press he had been with. So, if I'm in for a penny I might as well be in for a pound. I had proven to myself that I could sucessfully market books, I had a business model that minimized risk and maximized rewards. Why shouldn't I expand?

What I'd like to know is if Ridan is going to continue working with the other authors now that Orbit has, in theory, picked up her hubby's works? Last time she noted the contract was still under negotiation with Orbit...

I've answered this elsewhere - but since you might not be reading the other posts, I'm more than happy to answer it again.

Yes Ridan will continue after Michael leaves, in fact it will grow because now that Michael's success pays our bills, I've quit my "day job" and can devote 100% of my time to it.

Yes we are still waiting on final contract, I'm confident the changes required will be made, but either way, Ridan will continue.

And if I were an author looking for a publisher I'd consider the fact that she has time to post on every writing board around but not to update the website. Poor appearance for customers and potential authors, imo.

Well a few things. First, I'm not asking anyone here to sign with Ridan, or even submit to Ridan, so if my website is out of date, why do you care?

Second, My website is not a huge component to my bottom line, if it were, then I woud be addressing it. But they don't so it is a low priority and for now, there are other things for me to address.

I think we are at a pivotal time in publishing, so I do A LOT of research and participate in a lot of discussions because it is important to my overall business and the decisions I'm making with regards to Ridan's authors and my husband's works, so its important for me to keep up with what is going on.

Sure I could just read the posts. But I get satisifcation in informing authors about the changing environment and sharing with them my first-hand experience. If it helps someone -- and by the emails, PM's, and blog comments (from www.write2publish.com) I receive it does -- then I think its a better use of my time than watching some TV re-run.

What I don't understand, is why you care what I do or do not do with my time?

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I noticed that to. multiple posts every day but nothing old titles or new titles. The only draw is that they claim they get thousands, and tens of thousands of sales for all their titles. Those kinds of sales can forgive a lot, but only if it's true and I don't see how it is.

If you don't belive my sales numbers, that's your perogative. All I can do is state them honestly. I have screen shots showing best seller lists, Amazon rank graphs that go back to the dawn of each book, and I'm more than willing to share this with authors that I'm interested in brining on.

But seeing as how I'm not open to submissions I'm not sure why you care about my sales, unless its to judge that when I post I have some credibility on the subject at hand. If you're really curious, compare my Amazon rankings with other small presses. They tell the story of whether I'm selling or not.

I find it interesting that she's been posting in other threads here on AW today and bypassed this one totally.

Didn't even know anyone had touched this post - But as you can see, now that I know you guys are talking and asking questions. I'll go through each one.

Ah, I didn't realize this, Nick. She probably ought to make that more apparent on her website because it's pretty misleading. Authors might get the wrong idea and think they're mostly print.

The website is for "readers" not "authors". To market as such would be a big mistake. NO author comes onto Ridan without full disclosure about our business model.

Last edited by a moderator:

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a few books coming out in the next while, and one of them is with Ridan. Crafty emailed me and asked if I could swing by and talk a bit about my experience with Ridan. I’m happy to do that. I’ll try to keep it brief and just try to speak to some of the points raised – the points I don’t speak to are points I don’t really know the answers to.

Editing: I’m still undergoing editing with my book. Robin is one of the editors and I’ve also received edits from a one of the freelance editors they work with – so it’s not just her. I have been very impressed so far. I’m happy to come back and share my experience in more detail once it’s done.

As for Michael accepting a deal at Orbit and how that might reflect on RIDAN: from time to time small presses sell their books to larger presses; so it shouldn’t be all that surprising. Perhaps it looks like favoritism that Michael was able to accept the deal (that he got out of his contract), but it really wasn’t. The Ridan contract is such that you can leave at any time, for any reason, no penalty, no buy out. If I were placed in the same situation as Michael (with a major pub offering me big bucks to buy my mss.), I’d probably make the same decision he did, and it would, I sincerely believe, be with Robin’s best wishes.

As for RIDAN authors knowing what they’re getting into: When I was offered a contract by Ridan, Robin called me and we spoke for over 2 hours (and emailed for days after that). She explained the business model, what the strengths and weaknesses were with her model, what my expectations should be … etc, etc. I know they make the bulk of their sales from eBooks. I know how they plan to market the titles and how they plan to drive sales.

Now, I agree that sales are the litmus test for a publishers worth (certainly in my opinion it is). Distribution does matter, but only as much as it translates to sales. You could have a contract with Midpoint and if that doesn’t equal sales, does it really matter? I’m not privy to all the sales data, but Robin has talked to me about several of Ridan’s titles (not Michael's) and the sales have all been in the thousands (some over a thousand in a month - again, not nathan's or Michael's). From what I’ve seen, small presses that can manage to sell thousands of their titles are doing something right.

I think Robin knows what she’s doing in terms of marketing, and her background in advertising and technology was a very big draw for me. Michael’s art work is obviously top notch, but if he stops being the cover artist I think Robin will find someone with similar vision and talent. FWIW, I haven’t heard anything about Michael not doing the covers, so I have no reason to think he won’t.

Crafty specifically asked me why I haven’t mentioned RIDAN on my blog. The answer has nothing to do with being dissatisfied. It is wholly based on the fact that I’ve gone back and forth about whether or not to write under a pen name (My books with my agent and the books with my other publisher are MG, and the book with Ridan (my first book) is geared more for adults and I have other books for adults that I want to write so a pen name might be best. I’m just not sure how I’d approach it in my blog).

Now, what if Ridan closes its doors and orphans its authors? It could happen, of course. Lots of publishers close up shop, and I’d be naïve if I didn’t acknowledge the possibility. It’s a risk that a lot of authors with small presses take (not that larger presses can’t run into trouble – we know they can). If it does happen, then that’s something I’ll have to deal with – and I’m prepared to do that. Will I be happy? Of course not. I hope Ridan accomplishes for all their authors what they did for Michael.

I’m getting long winded here (sorry), so I’ll cut it off, but I will say that as much as Robin worked to help Michael, Michael also engaged readers on his own: In his blog, on forums, on Goodreads, in bookstores … etc etc. He wrote some good books, built a fan base and earned his success. I wish him all the best with Orbit; I know we all do.

Thanks for dropping by and validating what I've been saying. Obviously things from your perspective is more telling than me rehashing the same.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Robin, if you didn't realise this thread was active perhaps you don't realise you can subscribe to threads and get updated each time anyone posts in them. Check your profile: it's in there somewhere.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
I'm still wondering why the website is six months out of date. It's one thing to be busy promoting your authors and all that, another to have a website that's so horribly out of date.

Answered - see previous posts.

If I didn't know better I'd wonder if they were still in business. As it is, there's no mention of the deal with Orbit - which I would be trumpeting to the heavens to show how successful a Ridan author is.

Not at liberty to say this yet - there is no signed contract and quite frankly it wil hurt sales of my existing books - so why would I want to promote that?

I wish Robin would actually come into the thread and answer these questions instead of posting elsewhere on AW. It doesn't look good on her or on Ridan when even the simplest questions are going ignored on purpose.

Had I the faintest idea anyone had posted here, I would have come. As it was, I only found out this discussion because of a PM. So....next time...why don't you send me a PM and I'll know to come answer questions. Instead of assuming I'm ignoring the questions.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
If I knew that an author could pull the plug at any time, I'd be leery about dumping a lot of money into promoting their book...which makes me wonder about how much they market and promote their authors' books.

That is backward thinking. Having the freedom to leave is the most powerful thing I can do for my authors and the part of my business model that I'm most proud of.

It FORCES me to be accountable. If I'm doing doing "well by them" I have everything to lose.

I think the operative is "good distribution." A good, solid distributor won't keep a publisher who consistently makes lousy sales because it's a drain on their resources. And yes, good distribution matters a lot because they work to expose their client publishers' books to a wide marketplace.

You need to read further back in this post - about my business model. I don't warehouse books, use book distributors (except online ones), and don't have big print runs. So this does not apply to Ridan.

Are these ebooks? The Bookscan numbers don't back that up. Even though Bookscan is unreliable, it's doubtful that a title is selling thousands of units in stores that don't report their sales to Bookscan and eluding those stores that do.

Yes, the vast majority are ebooks.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Maybe I'm just going blind in my old age, but I still don't see a reason why the website is six months out of date. Maybe it's a "low priority" to you but I'd think that in this day and age an up-to-date website is a very important thing from both the author POV and the reader's POV when it comes to purchasing books.

Oh, well.

I think anyone considering buying from Ridan or submitting to them can judge the publisher from the data in this thread.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
So....next time...why don't you send me a PM and I'll know to come answer questions. Instead of assuming I'm ignoring the questions.

Um, you knew this discussion was here, as you have responded in the past - since it directly concerns your company, I would think you would keep abreast of it. When I check on the board, it shows all the active discussions since I was last here (including this one). Or there's subscribing to it. It shouldn't be up to posters to PM you.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
Um...wow. That's some serious confidence. My point is that I could say that as well, but how do I know what's in the mind of my authors at any given time? If I've just finished pouring several thou into promoting a title only to have them bid me adieu, I'd be fairly pissed. Like I said, Robin must be one confident lady.

It's the digital age and a lot of promotion can be done without out of pocket costs. Once a book is "rolling" then its worth making further investments in, but by that time those investment have already been covered by sales so if they leave, I'm not "in the red." and if the saes are that good, they don't want to leave as .... sales are good.

Begging pardon, but you most certainly DO judge a press by their distribution. Agents want to be assured that their clients will be represented in the marketplace - and that comes with knowing a publisher has solid distribution.

I agree 100% in a bookstore centric business model. I just don't have that model. My sales are from online sales (both print and ebook)

Distribution goes hand in hand with sales. The more a title is spread out nationally, the bigger their footprint.

True but Ridan doesn't need to sell hundreds of thousands of copies to be successful for the author or us. We are pleased when our authors sell 1,000 books a month and that can be done through echannels

It's impossible to verify the veracity of those sales. Furthermore, Bookscan (for physical books) - unreliable as it is - doesn't bear out your claim. Given that I've been doing this for a number of years, I find it interesting that online sales would be so fantastically higher than physical bookstores. I'm in no position to refute it - I just think those claims atypical.

Again 100% agree if I were in a "bookstore" model - but I'm not and hence the discrepancy.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
This isn't the best choice of words for summarizing this situation.* Authors definitely get big-press reprint deals for books originally published by smaller presses, but small presses don't make or negotiate those deals.

*I say this not to be nit-picking your words, but because there do seem to be people who have the misconception that small presses represent authors in selling reprints to larger presses.

Thanks for clarifying. Ridan did not "sell" Michael to Orbit. We don't represent our authors to bigger presses. We just have a flexible contract that allows them to leave our press (if they want to). So any movement they make is initiated by the author.

Ah, the clouds part. They don't have a bookstore presence...well, except Michael, whose Bookscan reflect store presence.

That said, there is no way to verify those "thousands" of online sales from their other authors, so it would be lovely if some of their authors could substantiate those claims.

Look at Amazon Sales Ranks. Currently Mashall Thomas's Soldier of the Legion Kindle is at: #297. So far in May that title has sold...340 books over 2.45 days = 138 books a day = 4,225 books per month.

His March of the Legion is #631. So far in May it has sold 166 copies = 2,059.

Robin, if you didn't realise this thread was active perhaps you don't realise you can subscribe to threads and get updated each time anyone posts in them. Check your profile: it's in there somewhere.

Thanks Old Hack - I'll look for that - no I did not know that.

Um, you knew this discussion was here, as you have responded in the past - since it directly concerns your company, I would think you would keep abreast of it. When I check on the board, it shows all the active discussions since I was last here (including this one). Or there's subscribing to it. It shouldn't be up to posters to PM you.

This thread had not been posted to in months prior to this flurry. And yes I check it periodically - bu not daily. In any case I'll look up the "notify me" aspect didn't know that was there.

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Look at Amazon Sales Ranks. Currently Mashall Thomas's Soldier of the Legion Kindle is at: #297. So far in May that title has sold...340 books over 2.45 days = 138 books a day = 4,225 books per month.

His Marh of the Legion is #631. So far in May it has sold 166 copies = 2,059.

That, of course, is if he sells that same number each day. That's one thing that always bothers me in such discussions - acting as if best-case-projections are some sort of 'given'. Same as saying that huge sales in one month means years of incredible earnings...

MartinD

Thought I'd stop by
Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me that Ridan is succeeding pretty well.

Thanks for posting and sharing.

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
That, of course, is if he sells that same number each day. That's one thing that always bothers me in such discussions - acting as if best-case-projections are some sort of 'given'. Same as saying that huge sales in one month means years of incredible earnings...

Yes they can go down...they can also go up. There are no givens - but for an author that keeps writing and putting new stuff 'out there' as long as they are pleasing their existing fanbase the chances of going up are muh better than going down.

In any case - in the last two weeks Marshall sold 3,026 books and those are "in the bank" and I think most authors here would be "okay" with that.

Last edited: