• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Marie Suzette

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Has anyone heard anything about her? She has a twitter account (@MarieSuzetteYA) and her bio states she's an agent for "a Certain Significant Agency." But I haven't found anything at all on her.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The agency she works for is a secret?

Weird

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Marie Suzette a different version of Mary Sue? Sorry that's just what I thought of.

But yeah it's a bit weird that she's all secretive about it...I guess you already tried googling her?

MarieSuzette

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Ah geez, I really wish I'd thought of the "secret agent" pun when I was creating the Marie Suzette account...!

Anyway, hi guys, it's me...sorry I came across so mysterious! I really didn't mean my new account to look so coy, I was just trying to cover my tracks.

Basically, I'm a small fish at a very big, very corporate, agency that has fired people for much less than "bitches about the industry on Twitter." If it comes out that I'm on Twitter goofing on aspiring writers, our agency's writers, other agency's writers, other agents, the YA blogosphere, and the YA genre in general I'll probably be looking for another job. But that's okay, the publishing industry has tons of jobs, right? Hello?

I guess I was really naive when I created the account...I thought people would just say "Cool, a refreshingly honest 'undercover' agent who works in YA, she might be fun to gossip with," but instead it's become "OMG AGENT." (I don't mean you guys! Let's just say you should see the sort of PMs I get.)

I guess I should have expected it, considering that so many bloated agents have suddenly convinced themselves that they're rock stars, and now strut around Twitter, accompanied by the squeals and squees of aspiring writers clutching tear-stained query letters. Well, such is life in the YA Goldrush Of 2010...

Anyway, thanks to this thread, I edited my profile a bit to better reflect what my "Marie Suzette" account is about. I never wanted it to be "the anonymous curmudgeon," I wanted it to be more "here's my sorta-anonymous personal account where I sometimes act like a sourpuss." I realize now that's probably not possible, at least if I care about continuing to collect paychecks, so I've made a few changes.

So...that's it. Hi! I'm Marie. I put my career in mortal jeopardy just so I can make fun of goofy shit I put up with at work. Hey, why not? Failure isn't an option...it's a lifestyle.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, MarieSuzette.

I have to admit, I've only gone to Twitter twice. Once to find out the score of a high school football game, and to yours this morning.

About your Florida Lee comment, :roll:

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
I guess I should have expected it, considering that so many bloated agents have suddenly convinced themselves that they're rock stars, and now strut around Twitter, accompanied by the squeals and squees of aspiring writers clutching tear-stained query letters. Well, such is life in the YA Goldrush Of 2010...

If this wasn't so funny, well, it'd be sad... LOL. :ROFL:Welcome!

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Welcome, MarieSuzette! Thanks for the clarification...I've run across you on Twitter and thought it cool that you were remaining anonymous. Go Secret Agent!

MarieSuzette

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the warm welcome you've given me, as well as the new followers. I'll try to stick around AW and pop in every now and then, but I'm a pretty busy gal. If there's something I need to see, though, feel free to send me an email: add the word 'miss' before my username and put gmail at the end.

In 2010, they stole YA from us.
In 2011, WE STEAL IT BACK.

Or we bitch about it anonymously on Twitter. One of the two.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Nothing is secret on the Internet, not even "secret" identities. If my employer regarded bitching about the industry on the Internet as a firing offense, I wouldn't do it--even anonymously.

I'm curious--who are THEY, and how did they steal YA?

- Victoria

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
True, it's very easy to find out who we are, since most of us don't hide all that well.

As for YA, that's another country for me. I enjoy reading good examples of YA epic fantasy, but I haven't kept up with the trends, since I don't write it.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to complain about how adult urban fantasy has been taken over by very specific (and boring) tropes lifted from paranormal romance. After a few aborted attempts to read about kickass were-beastie heroines and their troubled vampire/werewolf/demon/angel/boyfriends, I had to go read some Dresden novels and Emma Bull's WAR FOR THE OAKS again to remind myself why the genre has merit. I'm eagerly awaiting Kevin Hearne's 'Iron Druid' books for the same reason.

I love great examples of UF. just as I enjoy well-written steampunk. But I'm getting deathly tired of researching genre fiction agents only to find that ALL
they're looking for is UF or steampunk. Agents are requesting them, while bemoaning on Twitter or their blogs that those same sub-genres are getting stale. And why is that, I wonder? It's like what happened to certain dog breeds after the American Kennel Club and the puppy mills started in: instead of smart, healthy dogs, we were inundated with bug-eyed, incontinent, neurotic monsters.

I hope that steampunk doesn't follow the same downward trajectory. I'd think it would have some built-in defenses, since the settings -- at least superficially -- require a little more thought, historical extrapolation, and literary background.

So I welcome Marie's posts, and hope she doesn't get in trouble for them. The more battlefield information I can glean, the better!

Filigree

Deleted member 42

Nothing is secret on the Internet, not even "secret" identities. If my employer regarded bitching about the industry on the Internet as a firing offense, I wouldn't do it--even anonymously.

I want to accentuate Victoria's caution.

There is no anonymity on the 'net for the less than truly geeky.

Posting from an iPhone, for instance, automatically includes data unique to that specific iPhone.

Do not rely on an id; it isn't even cosmetic insurance.

Rather, don't say anything that will cause you regret later.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
And discretion is very good practice for later agenting adventures.

I would not want to exchange Marie's job security and apprenticeship for any amount of really dangerous gossip. The internet is no place for that.

The proper place, in my limited experience, is at convention bars around eleven pm.

Filigree

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Marie, I just took a look at your feed. If your employer truly does have a policy against social networking (of this sort), I'm afraid this is going to end badly and soon. You've divulged quite a few personal details I won't repeat here. They don't mean anything to me, but if someone who works with you everyday, or who knows you personally and also knows people you work with happens upon them, forget about it. You've been quite specific for someone trying to stay anonymous.

Frankly, the agent-blowing-off-steam-online routine is tired, IMO, but my primary concern is for your authors. It would be disruptive to the careers of the writers who've entrusted their faith in you if you were to be fired for something like this. If tweeting gossip about writers is so important to you, can you not find an agency where it's allowed?

ksbaby

Perhaps, today is the day.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just sent an e-query. She replied right away and said she would forward it to her professional account. Honestly, I've just about queried everyone under the moon. I'm now wondering if she got my query in her professional account as well. My bad? Ah, life goes on...