• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

ASA Publishing Company

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
It's video news, so I don't know how long the link will be active.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/25043381/index.html

The headline: the guy in charge of this vanity outfit was not paying royalties, so the writers sued. He lost. His on camera panic attack is kind of entertaining.

The ASA offices in Detroit were closed. The landlord said rent was unpaid. They have a Michigan office on the website.

Probably NOT a good idea to go with this one!

I wonder who crafted this strange description of the humble ISBN:

Just in our Basic Package we provide that minimum level of publishing, including an ISBN that pushes even the simplest doorway of distribution outlets like having a positive distribution database system working with and through several available worldwide connected distributors like Ingram, Baker & Taylor, and/or Partners, etc. ...read more in the brochure.

Um, no, I'll pass. I need eye bleach.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Gah. The link is now an ad for car sales. I'm sorry I missed it. But I bet Victoria will be onto this soon.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
He claims that there weren't any royalties (because there weren't any sales). The suit was over failure to deliver printed books. He was ordered to repay the cost of printing that the author had paid.

Had those folks looked at Preditors & Editors they would have read, "ASA Publishing Company: Not recommended. A vanity publisher."

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, they are out to get him. Geez... *rolls eyes*

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think it is entirely possible he pays on net and by their contract owes them nothing, but that is not really any better. A publisher you pay up front should have generous royalties.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
do they have a youtube channel (i know a lot of news stations do)? I can't get the video to load on my comp

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
As UJ stated upstream and according to the video, the judgment was for books she had purchased and never received. If she did sue for royalties, she either wasn't owed any or couldn't prove any were owed.

~brianm~

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Moved from my visitor messages ...

Today 11:52 AM
loyalty
Thanks for everyones support, I am that author that you saw on the news about ASA Publishing the story goes deeper than that, I am the one you saw first . I will be writing a book about my publishing horror with ASA. First, let me say that the judgement was satisfied by the judge, not by me. I am discussed with our judicial system, because I forced to take books the he reordered because the 15 that was lost was never found and the 10 books he owed that I paid for. The books that were lost were autographed with a green sticker to indicate that the author signed the books and no one else. The books I was forced to take didn't have my signature in it, meaning he bought those books spanking brand new. He falsified documents, and he went and got a PPO because I busted his scam. Now we both have a PPO on each other which is a waste of tax dollars. All because he wants to get even. The owner of ASA on our last court date where I was forced to take books with his publishing company name on it.

Today 11:57 AM
loyalty
Volunteered to haul my books to my car. During that time we talked a good five minutes like human beings with feelings, and souls. Now here it is Dec and now the owner of ASA is saying I violated the PPO order, by us talking to each other in the parking lot of 29th. Because he came with those books and said they were shipped in July ironically the same day 21 days after the judgement was suppose to be paid.

Today 12:00 PM
loyalty
29th is the district court in wayne, MI. I don't understand. He volunteers to haul my books out he engages in conversation with me as well, but I am violating the PPO order. This is now but here's is where all the horror begin.

Today 12:03 PM
loyalty
I signed up with ASA as an consignment author. I paid ASA $175.00 for a year. During that year I was suppose to get my books placed in consignment stores, book signings scheduled by his company. I gave ASA 25 copies of the first pressing of my book titled "The Battle Within." ASA only slapped there name and ISBN number and recreated the cover for that book their are two copies, so they didn't publish nothing, they reprinted and enhanced what was their bold editing job was done on it .

Today 12:05 PM
loyalty
I was a consignment author for at least an year an a half before I let ASA reprint my book. I already knew what he was but their was somethings I could get from that company like properly formatting a book, everything else I already new. I told ASA somethings to better their company.

Today 12:09 PM
loyalty
It took some time to get my reprinted books after I already paid for a membership, that included books, ASA change contracts like they changes underwear. Then ASA claimed after almost a year of not given my books I had been paid for, that they had to fire every single person that worked for them. That was the marketing department, the editors, the PR managers, proofreaders the whole nine yards when he said that I started watching him like a hawk.

Today 12:11 PM
loyalty
Finally, my books started to come in 10 at a time or 20, I ordered 50 books. almost a year ago. So ASA had this PR manager that was bad that woman had every author out their slanging books at books signings. Every author he had loved her, because ASA was in the negative when she came, when ASA fired her without pay for no reason, they were suddenly in the plus because of that PR manager.

Today 12:16 PM
loyalty
OK! Here goes the horror. After that had happened I became angry, because ASA wasn't scheduling no book events for the authors except the ones that was making him serious money. The ones that was just starting out he threw them a bone. So, I called ASA and told the owner he better get the rest of books and he knew me because I have been to his home around his wife and children, heck I took him and his wife on personal errands.

Today 12:20 PM
loyalty
That's how close we were but, like they say keep your enemies closer. The PR manager he fired without pay, had me at B&N on consignment. I shipped 20 books to B&N before the book signing way before the signing because they wanted the books early.

I called the owner of ASA and asked him if I could ship the books using his company address because I didn't want to send them under my name, becuase in case the books were returned they would go back to ASA instead of the distributor. Keep in mind these 20 books were bought and paid for by me, they were my books.

Today 12:27 PM
loyalty
I went to B&N in Grandville, MI. in Marchof 2010. I sold 2 or 3 books the manager coordinator of the book signing as if I would sign the remainding books, and she placed a green sticker in book saying that this is the authentic signature of the author. My mistake shipped 15 and took 5 extra with me. 2 out of the 15 were sold. The five extra books weren't on the table they were in my bag for back up in case I sosld those 15. I didn't sign 3 of the books so the manager gave those to me to take home. They were the same books I paid for. The manager forgot she gave me the 3 books, and she thought someone stole them, they wouldn't release my check until they knew where the 3 books were. My PR manager called me and I told her the manager sent the 3 books back with me, and the owner of ASA knew that. The manager at B&N then recalled giving me the books. Now that was cleared up.

Today 12:29 PM
loyalty
The owner was about to give my other book to this editor out of nowhere, and I told him no. He knew I was about to walk away from ASA, and he din't want that because I was a great asset to ASA and the owner stated that also, so he couldn't have that.

Today 12:35 PM
loyalty
The next thing I know he has a video under ASApubnews on you tube saying I stole my own books from B&N, and the manager had no idea she was being recorded over the phone set up and placed on you tube, I called her and spoke with her about that video she viewed and passed it on to her corporate legal team at B&N.

Now the manager of B&N has an attorney, she stated she never said I stole those books but ASA spliced and diced that horrible video to make it seem like she said I stole my own books, after we all knew what happened with the 3 books. 15 of my books were shipped back to the distributor and they were lost, ASA never tried to retrieve the books, when I called and asked him if he called LSI he said he couldn't get hold of anybody, so I called them myself I got through to someone. HMMM!

Today 12:38 PM
loyalty
After his vindication video, ASA went and filed a lawsuit aginst me for $3,000.00, they tired extorting money from me. I countersued and won. He was suppose to pay the Judgement money by Aug. 17th 2010, he never paid. I filed to confiscate his assests ASA had nothing they were broke.

Today 12:41 PM
loyalty
Now all of a sudden the books that have been missing since March 2010 suddenly reappear in July as soon as the judgement was ruled in my favor how ironic is that. ASA even said under oath he didn't have all my books, and they lied. They had my 25 books that were self-published, why didn't he return those plus the 15 that were lost his company reprinted and the 10 that were ordered almost a year ago. I paid $350 for 50 copies of my book and only had gotten 40.

Today 12:45 PM
loyalty
ASA filed a bogus lawsuit against me when ASA owed me books. We went to mediation first, at that time he brought some lady I had never seen before in my life didn't know who she was. All of sudden after I reported ASA to the Michigan Attorney's Generals office he gave my full name social number and BD to one of his author's who works for the IRS.

Today 12:48 PM
loyalty
I get a packet from the M.A.G.O. and noticed in there the owner of ASA stated he had me looked up in the IRS database by his author, whom he claims is a part of his legal team. Later I found out it was that same author tha came to mediation with him. The lady I didn't know, but she now my kids social number, and my husbands. If she looked me up she found my entire household. Scary, isn't it?

Today 12:50 PM
loyalty
I reported ASA author who works for the IRS investigated by TIGA. I am waiting on my packet to see if she really did what ASA say she did. If she did she in trouble, and so is the owner of ASA. We were in court battle all this time he scamming.

Today 12:54 PM
loyalty
Ok so I countersued. After all his torts were threw out they didn't have a case, but they tried to create one by saying, I breached my contract with them, so there for I am liable. After that I went to local 4 karen Drew because he hadn't paid my judgement and he was steady slandering me and my company.

ASA then went and filed a bogus PPO because I utilized my 1st amendment "Freedom of speech." Now he says I violated the PPO because he volunteered to haul my books out to my car and we both communicated with each other for five minutes. Isn't he in violation too? becuase he talked to me as well.

Today 12:57 PM
loyalty
Everything stated is a fact and documented. This is the truth. I don't want sympathy. I will continue to write and publish my books, even with my Lupus and Crohn's disease. I have a small intestine that is it, but I am by no means a weak soul. I am a fire ball. That company needs to wath who they scamming. All I got to say is they tried scamming the wrong lady.

loyalty

Banned
Reaction score
IS YOUR 1ST AMENDMENT RIGHT, IS IT A LAW OR JUST A FLUKE?

How many believe that you have free speech? Isn't that what the constitution says? Well becuase ASA publishing was put in their place by one little lady whom they tried scamming, they are now trying to take way her free speech.

As a consumer you are allowed to shed some light on a company or agency that have scammed you or not given you the service you paid for. This how we as consumers find out about such fraudulent companies.

You are allowed to share your hardships with the world if you choose to. So now ASA why are you Harssing this woman that beat you like you stole something in court?

ASA publishing has a you tube video up saying this same author stole books. Her name is plastered below the video, and the owner STEVEN Lawrence Hill Sr. is manipulating the courts to harass this ex-author that brought ASA scams on author's to the light. If you view the video that bookstore manager didn't know she was even being recorded and placed on you tube. WOW!

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Author.

loyalty

Banned
Reaction score
It's video news, so I don't know how long the link will be active.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/25043381/index.html

The headline: the guy in charge of this vanity outfit was not paying royalties, so the writers sued. He lost. His on camera panic attack is kind of entertaining.

The ASA offices in Detroit were closed. The landlord said rent was unpaid. They have a Michigan office on the website.

Probably NOT a good idea to go with this one!

I wonder who crafted this strange description of the humble ISBN:

Just in our Basic Package we provide that minimum level of publishing, including an ISBN that pushes even the simplest doorway of distribution outlets like having a positive distribution database system working with and through several available worldwide connected distributors like Ingram, Baker & Taylor, and/or Partners, etc. ...read more in the brochure.

Um, no, I'll pass. I need eye bleach.

Now they have a non profit television broadcast coming in 2011, if they couldn't pay a small jugement how can they afford this. Check the site. if he is a scammer what is he still doing in business? Only in Michigan do crooks get away with such a thing.

loyalty

Banned
Reaction score
ASA IS BACK ON THEIR KICK AGAIN. HE IS BASHING ME YET AGAIN AND LYING AT THAT THIS IS SO PATHETIC. STEVEN LAWRENCE HILL OF ASA A.K.A AUTHORSVIEW WON'T STOP WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH ASA HE IS SO INFATUATED WITH ME IT IS SO SAD. BUT YET HE FILED A PPO AND HE THE ONE STALKING A SISTER WOW WHAT A JOKE. ASA NEEDS TO BE OUT OF BUSINESS AND THE OWNER IN PRISON. STEADY SCAMMING. NOW HE CLAIMING ON TWITTER THAT NANCY GRACE CONTACTED HIM ABOUT A CASE THAT WAS SETTLED IN 29TH DISTRICT COURT IN WAYNE MICHIGAN BACK IN NOV OF 2010. THIS CASE CAN'T BE REHEARD WHAT IS ASA TALKING ABOUT? AND WHY ARE THEY STILL TRYING TO CLEAR THEIR NAME IF THEY WERE INNOCENT. MODIFICATION WAS FILED THE SAME DAY WE WERE TO BE IN COURT TO SHOW CAUSE WHY HE DIDN'T PAY THE JUDGEMENT. THE JUDGE SAW ASA WAS BROKE AND THE JUDGE SATISFIED THE CASE NOT ME THE PLANTIFF. I WASN'T SATIFIED. CAN SOMEONE ASK ASA STEVEN LAWRENCE HILL OWNER WHAT IS IS PROBLEM AND WHY HE WON'T MOVE ON. HE GOT BUSTED AND BEAT IN COURT.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
1. Typing in ALL BOLDFACE CAPS is the internet equivalent of shouting at all of us. Please do not do this, and if you would be so kind as to edit your post and rewrite it in normal type, we would all appreciate it.

2. Considering this appears to be an ongoing legal issue, perhaps it's best not to discuss it publicly. If this is about a settled legal issue, there is little point in arguing it here, as a judge has already ruled and that decision stands until another judge agrees to hear the case and overrules it (that's my understanding; IANAL).

3. We are not part of this situation. We have no connection to any of the principals involved. This forum is not the place for your personal disputes. Please don't try to use us as a stick with which to beat someone with whom you have a problem.

Thanks, and welcome to AW. If you're looking for information on how real publishing works--the kind where authors don't pay, authors get paid--you've come to the right place. Stick around and get involved!

Last edited:

loyalty

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't sue for royalties yet. Small claims limit is $3,000 to sue for, so why go for that when ASA may have made more. I want all that is mine. ASA hiding royalties from me is being investigated by my attorney. Will keep everyone posted. I can tell you this, ASA IS STILL STALKING AND HARRASSING ME CAUSE THEY GOT BEAT IN COURT, THEY SICK ABOUT THAT, NOW THEY CAN'T LET IT GO. THEY ARE STILL PLEADING A CASE THAT IS RESOLVED. CHECK HIS TWITTER POST IT IS SO SAD.

loyalty

Banned
Reaction score
I know stacey, just making sure everyone saw, and no this case is over no one is arguing but him. Just wanted to keep everyone posted, FYI this can't be overturned this isn't a murder trial.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I know stacey, just making sure everyone saw, and no this case is over no one is arguing but him. Just wanted to keep everyone posted, FYI this can't be overturned this isn't a murder trial.

FYI any kind of judgment can be overturned. (Also FYI that's "Stacia," not "Stacey.")

I'm sorry you're being harassed, but what exactly are you hoping informing us of the problem will do? If the case has ended, why not move on and ignore his Twitter posts or whatever, instead of letting this person still have such an effect on your life?

loyalty

Banned
Reaction score
ASA PUBLISHING BACK IN THE NEWS AGAIN

Do you all remember the story of ASA Publishing scamming authors. http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/25043381/index.htm

Well, that same publisher will be on the Nancy Grace Swift Justice show on May 5, 2011 on a Thursday. He was sued by another author. The first author that sued him sent him packing. He has left Wayne, MI. and has moved to Monroe, MI. ASA is in the hot seat again. WOW!

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
More details and descriptions? A link, maybe?