One Way to Kill your Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just stunned by the fact she can't spell the "f" word properly. Once is a typo. The whole blog is littered with a three letter version. Seriously. Four letters. Rhymes with duck.

And, er, yeah. Not smart to trash the people you want to work with on a very public blog. I'm hoping this is just one colossal joke and that she isn't really that clueless.

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
When I do the whole query-thing,I might mention on my blog that I got a rejection or a partial or whatever, but I'd never include *names*. Just 'got another rejection letter...the world sucks" kind of thing.

Agree with the f-word. On my blog I use fk, but that's deliberate and because I don't swear (much) on it

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Rejection Queen,

Let me introduce you to my friend The Journal. This is where you bitch and moan about stuff that will only get you in trouble if you say it in public. Go ahead and write that your boss is an asshole, your mother in law is fat, your landlord is a good-for-nothing cheap bastard and you can't wait to get away from him--and of course include your tirade about how stupid and evil literary agents are and how they wouldn't know a masterpiece if it fell from the sky and bonked them on the head. Obviously, they're just too stupid to "get" you, the losers.

You write all that, then you lock it with your little dollar store lock and stash it away in your underwear drawer.

This will save you a lot of heartache in life.

Sincerely,
HelloKiddo

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's me, but if I was getting 30 standard form rejections I would start to suspect that something is up with the manuscript.

Time to either get a beta reader or shove it in a draw and try again.

This is what I did after getting twenty rejections anyway.

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
Wowza. And I thought I went a little nuts during the query process.

And is it wrong that I'm enjoying reading this blog?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone's wrong besides her. How dare they not think her manuscript is brilliant!

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I agree with HelloKiddo. By all means write or type out a rant about how much the people rejecting you suck etc. Get it out of your system. Then either delete it/tear it up or lock it away somewhere. Sending it to anyone, or posting it on the net is not going to help.

I blame the internet for this stuff. Back in the old days a writer could only rant to their family and friends and maybe they could write a letter, but by the time you write a letter address an envelope, get a stamp, go post it, you've got plenty of time to have second thoughts. Now you can respond too fast while still in the heat of anger and frustration, before having time to decide maybe this isn't such a good idea.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't blame the internet. I blame the people who get on like that. They should know better. Do they actually think they're not going to experience rejection?

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
:-D

this is brilliant. very funny. she is probably quite right in what she says, but it is also very likely that her work sucks.

agents are only looking for the ms that will net them loads of cash. only work that will sell will sell. if only the industry and readers were there to massage our writing egos.

im going to read it again. i love a good rant.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
wow.

that is all.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Good God.

Querying is frustrating as hell. I have almost 150 rejections under my belt from agents. It's part of the game. Sooner or later, someone will bite. I'll keep writing better stuff, keep polishing my queries (and blackmailing scarletpeaches into writing them for me), and keep submitting.

But starting a blog like that? No, I think not. Putting a bullet through my left foot would be more conducive to furthering my career.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Some people like attention in whatever form it comes, and from her assertion that the posts are "entertainment", I'd say that's the case here. She's getting what she wanted, which is eyes on her words.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Entertainment is one thing. Posting actual names and calling them out for being "shady", "a bitch", "liars", etc...that's just professional suicide.

I should totally be packing for my trip right now, but I can't stop reading this blog...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to name this person earlier when I was ranting about her on Twitter. I stumbled across her blog when she posted a bitchy comment on the BookEnds blog. What a trainwreck. Apart from the attitude problem, general unprofessionalism and apparent belief that agents don't know how to google, I hate that she bashes the very agents who would most love to help her - even bitching about thoughtful personalised rejections. That's just ungrateful.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Good God.

Querying is frustrating as hell. I have almost 150 rejections under my belt from agents. It's part of the game.

What I found interesting is she is/being published. Yet she thinks even her publisher sucks. Nothing makes her happy, it seems.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
And it goes on like that for TWO YEARS.

One of them I saw last night was a rejection from an agent who ONLY reps SF & Fantasy. That's part of the problem - when you sent your book to agents who don't work with the kind of book you've written.

And she's got a book being published 'soon'. From scant details regarding issues with errors (plus her ranting about poor cover art, as well as spelling her name wrong on the cover), I'd bet dollars to donuts her 'publisher' is PA.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to name this person earlier when I was ranting about her on Twitter. I stumbled across her blog when she posted a bitchy comment on the BookEnds blog. What a trainwreck. Apart from the attitude problem, general unprofessionalism and apparent belief that agents don't know how to google, I hate that she bashes the very agents who would most love to help her - even bitching about thoughtful personalised rejections. That's just ungrateful.

Do we know if this is a "real" person? That's her actual name, and that this isn't some fake stunt to get attention? Cause it's working, his/her bad behavior is getting just that. *sigh*

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Some people like attention in whatever form it comes, and from her assertion that the posts are "entertainment", I'd say that's the case here. She's getting what she wanted, which is eyes on her words.

Yeah, I suspect she enjoys playing the victim. She's failing at something very important to her, so to protect her ego, she has to present herself as an unjustly injured party. A poor little victim in a world of powerful but heartless agents, a rebel being punished for not writing Twilight clones, a lone truthful voice in a culture of ass-kissing, etc etc.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
well agents do like to see that you can get yourself an audience...

i can't believer she uses her real name! if i was going to agent someone I'd gave them a quick Google, to see if anything came up like baby killings, or previous publications.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
She said in an earlier entry that it's a fake name. Still wouldn't be hard for the mentioned agents to figure out who she is, given the dates, genre, etc.

Alwoody

Back for another round
Registered
Reaction score
Um, yeah, okay.

Rejection sucks, we know it, but to actually call industry professionals out like that?

I can't believe that she thinks everyone in publishing is against her.

Status
Not open for further replies.