Pyr Opens to Un-Agented Submissions

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I saw this link via Twitter and thought it would be of interest to the folks here.

http://pyrsf.blogspot.com/2010/02/opening-floodgates-pyr-now-accepting.html

From their post:

Unagented submissions: Email submissions ONLY—and ONLY in the subgenres of epic fantasy, sword & sorcery, and contemporary/urban fantasy. No horror, science fiction, or slipstream. Only full manuscripts accepted—no partials or outlines. Please send an email which includes your name, address, telephone number, and a one to three paragraph synopsis of your work, along with the manuscript attached as a Word doc or RTF file, to RSears at prometheusbooks dot com. Note that due to the volume of submissions a detailed reply in the case of a rejection may not be possible (and is unlikely).

Oberon89

The Druid you're looking for
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow Ferret, Pyr published Joe Abercrombie's trilogy here in the States, if that helps. They're not huge, but they're trying to make a dent in market share.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I just submitted one of my completed Fantasy/Romance/Horror hybrids. I don't expect anything but a quick rejection, but at least I've submitted something.

Thanks again.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, I like to keep up with changing info. It's always useful.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
SF/F imprint Pyr accepting unagented submissions

Hey all SF/F writers, I saw this on GalleyCat today:

The science fiction and fantasy imprint Pyr is now accepting unagented submissions in a few select subgenres: epic fantasy, sword & sorcery, and contemporary/urban fantasy. They will not be accepting unagented manuscripts in the genres of horror, science fiction, or slipstream, nor do they seek short story collections, anthologies, novellas or nonfiction.
Pyr is an imprint at Prometheus Books, and announced the news on their blog yesterday. According to the post, the imprint seeks manuscripts that are between 100,000 and 130,000-words. The site notes that they will not accept science fiction work that is less than 85,000-words, nor fantasy work under 95,000-words.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
They're a reputable publisher, and I don't say that just because I once worked for Skeptical Inquirer magazine. :D I saw a Pyr book in the library yesterday. Not bad looking.

They're also, literally, two blocks down and one block away from my house. It's a small world.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
With books like "Cyberabad Days" by Ian MacDonald, Joe Abercrombie's respected novels, and David Louis Edelman's critically-acclaimed post-cyberpunk, PYR has established themselves as one of the leaders of the field. Lou Anders, the head editor, is often found being totally awesome at conventions all over the world.

This is an excellent publisher. They win major awards and many of their books wind up on year's best lists and shortlists for awards.

Best of luck, all who submit.

Edit to add: When I was on the Nebulas Jury, the box of novels we got from them was shocking in how consistently high quality all the titles were. Most publishers have some turkeys in their stacks. Pyr had none.

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
With books like "Cyberabad Days" by Ian MacDonald, Joe Abercrombie's respected novels, and David Louis Edelman's critically-acclaimed post-cyberpunk, PYR has established themselves as one of the leaders of the field. Lou Anders, the head editor, is often found being totally awesome at conventions all over the world.

This is an excellent publisher. They win major awards and many of their books wind up on year's best lists and shortlists for awards.

Best of luck, all who submit.

Edit to add: When I was on the Nebulas Jury, the box of novels we got from them was shocking in how consistently high quality all the titles were. Most publishers have some turkeys in their stacks. Pyr had none.

Wow. I am shocked and stunned.
Firstly bec they are actively seeking epic fantasy over 100,000 words, both a rarity these days and
Second, cos they're so well regarded. Santa does exist! Thanks Chaos.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
It's a good thing for the industry - so many other publishers are going the other direction. It makes it difficult when there are limited number of publishers (who are easy to check on, if not well known names), but many more agents (with often uncertain credentials).

I wish I was farther along in my current WIP. Still a long way to go before submission.

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
well, I don't think it says specifically how long they'll keep this policy: if it works, I assume that it'll be ongoing and so us with unfinished/unpolished/unready stories may yet have time before the window of opportunity closes.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
It's a good thing for the industry - so many other publishers are going the other direction. It makes it difficult when there are limited number of publishers (who are easy to check on, if not well known names), but many more agents (with often uncertain credentials).

I wish I was farther along in my current WIP. Still a long way to go before submission.

Just don't rush it. Better to have a well-written work you have to query to agents than a slapped together rush job just to fit into a window of opportunity.

This strikes me as an unusual choice on Pyr's part, though I don't know enough about the industry to make any sort of value judgement.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just got my standard rejection from Pyr. It's "not what (they're) looking for at this time".

And I thought it matched perfectly. Oh well. I really expect nothing besides rejection nowadays anyway.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
This strikes me as an unusual choice on Pyr's part, though I don't know enough about the industry to make any sort of value judgement.
Why? There are quite a few good publishers who take unsolicited queries.
Oh well. I really expect nothing besides rejection nowadays anyway.

I know how you feel. Just keep on keepin' on. One day, someone will express interest.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
My UF is 89,000 words. :(

Submit it! I think you're close enough. Read Lou's comments in the blog post. Someone asks him which word count to use for UF, either 95K or shorter SF count of 85K because the UF's on the shelves are shorter these days. His response: "Good question. Someone asked me about 70k urban fantasies and that seems seriously too short. Split the difference?"

erazmus

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished my first novel, and as it was contemporary fantasy, over a hundred thousand words and not doing anything else, I sent it in to Pyr.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Just remember that the worst thing that can happen is "nothing", if you're being a pro about it And, your odds of fame and glory are much better in a slush pile than not in one.

I can think of one critically-acclaimed author whose first novel was sold un-agented through a slush pile. *points at himself*

Best of luck, all!