• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

DellArte Press (formerly Harlequin Horizons)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Did they say how exactly they expect this will damage the careers of already published authors?

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to name names, but it's a respectable one from a big respectable firm.

Why not?

She's certainly entitled to her opinions, and she's obviously expressing them publically. I can't imagine why this would be a problem.

ETA- sorry. :) You were too quick for me.

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
I fail to see how the stances of the MWA (and the RWA so far) can be damaging to some authors. The MWA and RWA are voluntary industry associations. Membership isn't required for publication, and matters little to readers. Contest wins are, from what I can tell, largely ignored by readers. Yes, it's nice to belong to a group of like-minded or like-skilled people, but it's not required in order to have a successful career.

This is more likely to damage a publisher (which loses status within the industry) than authors who are already published.

A very good point. How many times have you picked up a book and read "Rita award winner" or "Edgar award winner" on the cover? No, you see "NYT best selling author" or some equivelant. The latter represents reader interest, while the former represents peer interest.

And I am in no way saying the former awards are not prestigious, but they do represent the behind-the-doors working of the industry, not the public face.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
In a way she's right though. It will in the short term hurt writers because it's writers that are MWA members. In the long term, it's an entirely different matter because a firm stance on this may prevent other publishers from going down this route, to the benefit of the same (and future) writers.

Deleted member 42

It's not going to hurt writers.

Seriously, do you think the average reader is going to NOT buy a book because it wasn't awarded an Edgar?

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
RWA and MWA members with already published books are not losing their membership status. This only limits potential membership applications. If anything it's the clubs that are losing out on membership dues.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
In a way she's right though. It will in the short term hurt writers because it's writers that are MWA members.

And again, I fail to see how this hurts writers. You can be a successful writer without being an MWA or RWA member.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
It's not going to hurt writers.

Seriously, do you think the average reader is going to NOT buy a book because it wasn't awarded an Edgar?

Exatly. No one cares. I've been reading romance since I was 14. I found out about the RITAs when I started researching publishing options at 31.

Besides, every romance site and its blog has their own "award". The title "Award Winning Author" is hardly at a premium.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
And again, I fail to see how this hurts writers. You can be a successful writer without being an MWA or RWA member.

If the chance at winning an Edgar is the only benefit of membership, then you're right. If there are other more or less intangible benefits of membership, then it might be a minor problem for the ones that want to become members.

It's not a BIG career-breaking problem. But I'm sure it may sting a bit. It's not really a big deal, tbh.

Deleted member 42

If the chance at winning an Edgar is the only benefit of membership, then you're right. If there are other more or less intangible benefits of membership, then it might be a minor problem for the ones that want to become members.

It's not a BIG career-breaking problem. But I'm sure it may sting a bit. It's not really a big deal, tbh.

MWA, SFWA, and RWA all have various categories of membership.

It's not a big deal, really it isn't. The main distinction in terms of category is about the cost of the membership (more for active status as a published writer) and whether or not one votes on the awards.

http://www.mysterywriters.org/?q=Register

http://www.sfwa.org/join-us/who-is-eligible/

http://www.rwanational.org/cs/become_a_member

I note that the MWA boar's unanimous decision to delist Harlequin is not retroactive; it's going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Never mind awards, memberships, pro-status, whatever.

Organizations like the MWA, RWA, & SFWA are there to PROTECT writers.

They inform writers about problems.

HQ has become a problem.

They have a vanity operation and fully intend to send vulnerable, rejected writers to that operation.

It's like the human resources manager sifting through job applications. Some are good enough to hire for legit work, but the rest?

Well, the HRM has a lucrative sideline: sending failed applicants over to a shiny new brothel. The HRM is also a PIMP.

The pimp is well-dressed, kindly, supportive, and enthusiastic. SHE can't hire you just now, but her friend over there CAN.

There's a fee involved, but that's perfectly normal. Everyone supposed to pay to get a job, I'm sure you've heard of that! Did you know that's how Donald Trump started out? Oh, yes, it's true, he paid to get his first job. So did Oprah Winfrey! AND, if you work real hard over there, I *might* be able to find you a better-paying spot with my company later!

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I've encountered wannabe writers convinced that paying to publish is how you break in. Many accept it as an unshakable truth.

And here's HQ confirming it!

HQ has lost a ton of good will in the industry because of this ill-considered decision.

While it may not effect established writers, newbies are in for an expensive shock. I don't assume they've done their research. Many do not.

Now the biggest romance house in the industry telling them that it's perfectly okay to shell out a few thousand bucks to "get into print." (Carefully leaving out that such books rarely sell more than 75 copies.)

Will the neos bother to check this out or think it through? Maybe, but why should they? HQN's name and reputation (until now) has clout. You can "trust" them.

DellArte presents itself as a "self-publishing" venue, when it is not. Most neos know to avoid vanity printers, but you won't find the "V" word on the DellArte site.

Nope, given time you'll find rejected HQ writers who fell for the misleading sales pitch.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Organizations like the MWA, RWA, & SFWA are there to PROTECT writers.

They inform writers about problems.

HQ has become a problem.

They have a vanity operation and fully intend to send vulnerable, rejected writers to that operation.

Exactly. Frankly, I'm stunned that the ITW decided to go "La, la, la, I can't hear what Harlequin is doing," but whatever. I'm very pleased with MWA, RWA and SFWA. I hope RWA stands strong during the January Board meeting.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Dittoing Gillhoughly; she said exactly what I would have said, and I too applaud MWA and am disappointed in ITW.

I'm disappointed in Colleen Lindsay as well; I consider her a personal friend (and I hope she knows that) but I can't agree with her on this issue (and I know she knows that), though I understand she's looking at it as taking care of her current authors and speaking on their behalf.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I'm disappointed in Colleen Lindsay as well; I consider her a personal friend (and I hope she knows that) but I can't agree with her on this issue (and I know she knows that), though I understand she's looking at it as taking care of her current authors and speaking on their behalf.

It's difficult when you and your friend are on opposite sides of a very heated debate.

:Hug2:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I can't help but wonder how she'll feel when one of her clients is rejected and the response includes an offer for vanity publishing which would immediately cut her off from any income.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Twitter can be a two-edged sword.

I have friended Colleen because her stories about agenting are interesting and she seems like someone I'd love to share a glass of scotch with one evening at a con. I have no doubt she's passionate about her clients and the book business.

I also have the distinct feeling I'd never ask her to be my agent because based on my impressions of her, based on her tweets, we'd kill each other if we had to interact for great lengths of time.

But, that doesn't mean she's not a good agent.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder how she'll feel when one of her clients is rejected and the response includes an offer for vanity publishing which would immediately cut her off from any income.

Most agents won't rep category romance. At $3K a book, it's not worth it for them. Besides, the contract, from what I understand, is a non-negotiable boiler plate for the first book or few.

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score

Another verra good point. Nothing in this mess is as simple as it seems.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Most agents won't rep category romance. At $3K a book, it's not worth it for them. Besides, the contract, from what I understand, is a non-negotiable boiler plate for the first book or few.

Harlequin publishes more than category romance. Check out their Luna and MIRA imprints. Those (well, at least MIRA as documented here http://www.brendahiatt.com/id2.html) pay much greater advances.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com

HQ is putting it in **all** of its rejection letters, not just for category. Many agents rep romance.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
HQ is putting it in **all** of its rejection letters, not just for category. Many agents rep romance.
Dude, they got fucking balls to try to pull that shit.

Harlequin seems to have overestimated the height of their ivory tower.

And yeah, agents rep all kinds of things. :D