• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

New Pulp Press

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
No distribution or owner info on the site, but Whois names Christoph Wiese. Google results in an apparently abandoned twitter account, old blog, and some kind of conference about Flash, none of which mention any kind of editorial or publishing experience. They also don't mention him as an author so at least he's not a vanity press.

Covers are worse than most romance ebook covers imo.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Their About Us page says:
New Pulp Press was founded in 2008 as an alternative to the often generic world of conglomerate corporate publishing.[bolding mine] Dedicated to giving voice to some of today’s most talented and neglected writers, New Pulp Press focuses...
This is POD-speak for "we can't compete," so we're going to offer up the only thing we have going for us - your fervent desire to be published. We can't get your books on shelves because we have no distribution. Few will know your book exists because we have no marketing or promotion. But, hey,we're giving you the "chance you deserve." Same sad story, umpteenth verse.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
No distribution or owner info on the site, but Whois names Christoph Wiese...They also don't mention him as an author so at least he's not a vanity press.

I'm not quite sure how the lack of mention of Chris Wiese being an author on the site ensures his indie press is not a vanity outfit!

Having said that, this looks like a genuine underground small urban indie press, styled on publishers like Soho, but as has been said, without any real paper distribution channels outside of Barnes & Noble and amazon.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I'm not sure I agree, Lynn. It looks like it specializes in niche fiction for an identified market. As such, it could be a real market--if that's the niche you're writing for.

We'll see how it's going a year from now.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
I liked the covers. Maybe not everyone's taste, but I thought they were effectively impressionistic. Also, according to their site they've already been around a year, so presumably they're doing all right. Still would be nice to know who distributes them though.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're definitely a matter of taste, but I'm with Christine. I quite like the covers. The pitches seem competently crafted as well.

And I'm curious about the forthcoming Rabid Child by the title alone.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Hope you're right, Jim. I suppose I get a bit jaded because I see so many PODs using the same verbiage. Their lack of distribution makes it tough on their authors. But as you say, we'll see.

The places where non-standard distribution isn't as much of a drawback are:

1) Specialized non-fiction
2) Niche fiction
3) Poetry
4) Drama

They all have ways to reach readers, and readers who are reachable, outside of normal bookstore channels.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Just rejected. Quote - "I think you are a very compelling writer and I enjoyed the book. Unfortunately I'm going to have to pass on publishing it at this time." Small press, few titles, blah, blah, blah. Oh well. At least I don't have to decide if I really want to be published by pod people.

Back to the drawing board.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I keep seeing this publisher on PM, but can't seem to find a website for them. Does anyone know anything about them?

stevewed

Aspiring Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steveweddle.com
The Last of the Smoking Bartenders by C.J. Howell, their most recent, has been getting great press and reviews.
I was in their Crime Factory anthology, as were Scott Wolven and Frank Bill and many other talented folks.
If you're writing gritty noir -- hard-boiled, etc -- they'd make a great home. Always good to read a few titles from a press before deciding whether they're right for you, of course.