Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I carry a 5 x 8 spiral notebook with me everywhere. Can anyone recommend a cover that I can slip around the notebook so the spiral wire doesn't catch or scratch anything inside my purse? Thanks!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I steal my notebooks from work. They have a regular bound spine as opposed to a spiral spine. Beggers can't be choosy.

Maybe someone else can hep ya.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
got me.

I used to write, "I :heart: Sav" and "Def Leppard" all over mine, but that isn't what you meant I guess.
Oh and "I :heart: Sammy Hagar."

One time in freshman year in college I had, "I :heart: Craig", a bonifide real life guy, and then found myself standing with him in the elevator. He was looking at my note book. YIKES.

Now I :heart: Mr. Groove. :D

OK I'll stop now.

I am envisioning a peice of card board fashioned like a book cover but haven't quite figured out how to attach it.

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Maybe I should just start buying the bound spine notebooks. That would solve the problem right there.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much good with notebooks. I bought a pink fluffy one once in the hope that it would encourage some happy, fluffy stories. It got exceptionally grubby in the bottom of my handbag and eventually the dog got it. It remained pristine inside, however, as I never came up with an appropriate idea.
Why do you like spiral bound ones? Don't they come unbound?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps a cloth book cover might fit, or maybe you could slip the notebook into a ziplock plastic bag? I use spiral bound Clairefontaine notebooks (love the colored paper) and haven't had a problem with them catching on anything. Also, I carry a cloth napkin to put the notebook on when I'm writing in restaurants just in case the table is wet.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
Of course you could always wrap it in silk and put it in a small hand made bag, wrap that in tissue and place it in a slim lacquered box. You could then bring it out reverently like some religious artefact, though by the time you've done all that you might have lost the impulse of the moment. I do like the ritual of note taking I just rarely have notes to take.

Can't you just buy the kind of notepad that doesn't snag?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with those that say ditch the spiralbound format. I discovered Moleskine notebooks at Borders and have fallen in love with them. My favorite, the Cahier model, is very light, with low-glare pages, and very secure binding. It actually lies flat pretty well, too.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Be aware that the big dif between Moleskine and Clairefontaine is the level of finish to the paper. Moleskine is more appropriate if you use drier inks, like a ball point or a fine point gel. Clairefontaine is preferable if you use a fountain pen, wider gel pen, or other liquid inks. They tend to feather on Moleskine's coarser paper. I :heart: paper.

I agree with those that say ditch the spiralbound format. I discovered Moleskine notebooks at Borders and have fallen in love with them. My favorite, the Cahier model, is very light, with low-glare pages, and very secure binding. It actually lies flat pretty well, too.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh! You people are organized. I envy you. I make notes on old envelopes, napkins, sales receipts, my hand, the edge of a newspaper page, anything in a bind. And I never have a note book when I need it.

I'm always making notes, too, because when I'm out away from the computer and see people reacting, that's when I get ideas on lots of good stuff. If I don't write it down, I'll forget it. I have an entire system of folders set up in my computer to transfer them to so I can find them when I need them. Now, that I've got organized.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
The Clairefontaines are totally worth it. They're like an upscale composition book. I used to use comp books, but what I hated was how hard it was to get narrow ruled ones. Most are wide ruled, which I hated.

Well now I'm curious. There goes my paypal emergency fund...

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I write notes on the palm of my hand. Sometimes I forget to wash them off, and I get strange looks in stores...

But yeah, maybe try a bound notebook. Or a notebook cozy - that just sounds like fun!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Another difference is that the Moleskines, at least the Cahier line, are very work-a-day looking, very unpretentious, especially the ones with the Kraft brown binding. This makes me feel I can scribble any old thing in them, whereas the Clairefontaines are so pretty I'd feel I had to live up to them and write something timeless. :tongue

Be aware that the big dif between Moleskine and Clairefontaine is the level of finish to the paper. Moleskine is more appropriate if you use drier inks, like a ball point or a fine point gel. Clairefontaine is preferable if you use a fountain pen, wider gel pen, or other liquid inks. They tend to feather on Moleskine's coarser paper. I :heart: paper.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I made my own fabric notebook cover with pockets and a handle, since I require a lot of crap just to take notes. If you're not a sewer, they sell some nice nylon ones at Barnes and Noble. Some have really nice prints on them, and some are solids I think.

I carry a 5 x 8 spiral notebook with me everywhere. Can anyone recommend a cover that I can slip around the notebook so the spiral wire doesn't catch or scratch anything inside my purse? Thanks!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.