Plagiarisim train wreck in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

necia phoenix

Registered
Reaction score
Website
necia-phoenix.livejournal.com
Check out Lanaia Lee. She has some problems. The biggest being that she took a book that was already published changed some of the names, changed the title and self pubbed it.

Yes.

She self published it.

Here is the blog where I first heard about it. And if this is a redundant post I apologize.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez. She could have at least changed a word here and there.

That takes some chutzpah.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
She (or her ghost writer) didn't even manage to change the names all the way through. The name "Alexander" still shows up in the changed version.

And I'm not sure if she knew she self-pubbed it. She used an "agent" whose sales were to PublishAmerica.

If she's actually the victim of multiple scammers, I feel sorry for her.

Last edited:

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
That's very durrrrrrrrr. Also, I generally get bloody annoyed by the mini-bios people write about themselves in 3rd person.

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why she doesn't take down her web site...she's getting trashed in her own little message board and chat-box thingie. It's an awful thing to see...

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
She (or her ghost writer) didn't even manage to change the names all the way through. The name "Alexander" still shows up in the changed version.

And I'm not sure if she knew she self-pubbed it. She used an "agent" whose sales were to PublishAmerica.

If she submitted it, she must have known it was plagiarized, regardless of whether her "agent" or "publisher" scammed her.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Of Atlantis is totally mine. I have the original manuscript, and witnesses to my work. I put two years of my life in this book, the copy right, I own. I am appalled some one would think I am that dishonesy!

That says it all, I think.

I do pity this sad woman, bound to her wheelchair, mourning the loss of ten children, raised by a dark witch, trying to gain some sort of validation by stealing other people's work.

How very sad.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
All I can say is, Wow!
Although some of the comments on Dear Author are incredibly funny, I agree with the last ones.
1) She is either a delusional and/or incredibly gullible woman who got suckered several times over (In which case, I still have very little sympathy) OR
2) She is a raving scam artist who has abused another authors work, and offended every person even remotely connected with wheel chairs, children, stroke victims, married people, hypertension disorders, females, males, people who can read, and/or jack russell terrier owners.
That's a pretty big list to accomplish in one fell swoop.

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
I love this from the "Top Ten" comments:

If she writes from the heart, her heart must beat like this: CTRL + C, CTRL + V, CTRL + C, CTRL + V…

There is also some suggestion in the comments that Janet Dailey's work has the hint of plagiarism to it?

??!

wee

necia phoenix

Registered
Reaction score
Website
necia-phoenix.livejournal.com
All I can say is, Wow!
Although some of the comments on Dear Author are incredibly funny, I agree with the last ones.
1) She is either a delusional and/or incredibly gullible woman who got suckered several times over (In which case, I still have very little sympathy) OR
2) She is a raving scam artist who has abused another authors work, and offended every person even remotely connected with wheel chairs, children, stroke victims, married people, hypertension disorders, females, males, people who can read, and/or jack russell terrier owners.
That's a pretty big list to accomplish in one fell swoop.

:ROFL:

**snerk**

I don't see what the point is. What gain can you have, especially in plagiarizing such a well known author.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
There is also some suggestion in the comments that Janet Dailey's work has the hint of plagiarism to it?

She totally ripped off Nora Roberts a while back.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Wait...oh god(dess). They just added Wiccans to the mix...
See...before it was just a general "i'm disgusted to be in the same Genus as you" seeing as I don't own any jack russell terriers.... but now. Now, it's personal.

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
i am female, have hypertension, own a jack russel terrier and am preparing to be offended!--s6

And quit dogging me or I'll have another stroke & there'll be blood on your hands!

wee

PS -- so sorry! I plagiarized that poor woman. Please ignore my above comment. (taken from above link)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is truly sad, though there is a strong possibility that her stroke may have left her a bit mentally disabled as well. That might account for the lack of touch with reality she seems to evidence.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
From her website:
Welcome to the realm of Dark Poet Lanaia Lee. You will find on this page samples of her works, be able to purchase her books and much much more. Dare you venture into this place? Will you hear the tortured cries for help? The woeful pleading? Or the agonizing screams that will surround you at every turn? Prepare to engulf yourself into a world where Edgar Allan Poe still lives. Could Lanaia be Poes female reincarnation? Journey with us into the dark side, let us take leave of our bright, light filled world and allow Lanaia Lee to be our tour guide as we travel though realms unknown. Will we return? Can we return? Perhaps, perhaps nevermore.........

This site doesn't mention "Of Atlantis", which is wise. It's filled with poetry that I'm willing to bet is NOT plagarized. Perhaps it really was all the ghost-writer's fault.

The message board at the site linked is filled with hate mail, and the message boards at her private site are filled with spam. She's been outed, and could face charges...though I kind of doubt it.

I think the interesting part of the train wreck is probably over.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
From DearAuthor.com:
"Velma
Posted: Oct 11th, 2007 at 4:18 pm

Things are getting more interesting: her publisher is apparently incapable of telling the difference between your blog and Making Light, and is now threatening you with lawsuits and “wiccan” tenfold retaliation there. It doesn’t bode well for Lee or Pillsbury."

God(dess)...somedays it is hard to know I share the same breath as these people, let alone that we check the same box on the religion questionnaire.... Someone really needs to come up with a way to excommunicate Wiccans from the path... Ya' know, so we could all point and say, "She was too crazy for us, sorry. You can have her back."

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score

I'm leaning towards believing that this woman got totally scammed.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I think the interesting part of the train wreck is probably over.

Things are getting more interesting: her publisher is apparently incapable of telling the difference between your blog and Making Light, and is now threatening you with lawsuits and “wiccan” tenfold retaliation there. It doesn’t bode well for Lee or Pillsbury."

I stand corrected.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that MeowGirl's tag line applies *even more* to plagiarized work, but in a different way...

Status
Not open for further replies.